Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   My first big haul of 2022 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51484)

garden patch July 28, 2022 07:10 PM

My first big haul of 2022

1 Attachment(s)
I went into my garden yesterday and decided its time to pick my tomatoes this year has been a dry season in Toronto. I planted seven varieties this year .

Big Beef
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Big Rainbow
Cherokee Purple
Beefsteak
Opalka
San Marzano

MrsJustice July 28, 2022 08:04 PM

:yes:A Very Very Sophisticated Lineup of Big Tomatoes. Especially the Opalka. You have been Blessed this Summer "Garden Patch", Amen!!!! .:)

garden patch July 28, 2022 08:18 PM

It has been a strange season this year. I hope the weather cooperates for the rest of the season. Some rain is good for the crops, water has been a luxury this year.

MrsJustice July 28, 2022 08:34 PM

Trust me: I am wishing for rain as well here in my Historical Virginia. Rain makes the Tomatoes plants happy, Amen!!! Your Family members and neighbors will be coming soon to see you and eat your Beautiful Tomatoes.:yes:

Working with My Tomatoes Plants gives me so much Joy and pure Relaxation. But the heat is running me away with these dangerous high heat levels after about only 4 hours of work. But we are Blessed to have a Full Harvest as many of my friends and family have lost their Garden and Farm Harvest to the Hot Heat.

There are some very nice people in Canada, Amen!!

What is the weather like in Toronto?

KarenO July 28, 2022 09:07 PM

Lovely tomatoes.
KarenO

PaulF July 28, 2022 09:10 PM

NICE!

Dark Rumor July 28, 2022 10:31 PM

How long will your season last?

garden patch July 29, 2022 07:44 AM

I’m fortunate and blessed to have a harvest this season. I feel sad that people have lost this season to bad weather. If all goes well I believe September will be the cut off time for my tomatoes the cooler nights in Toronto seems to kill off my plants. I will be sharing my Harvest with friends and family MrsJustice. Toronto usually has a hot and humid summer, but Fall season starts a little early here.

MrsJustice July 29, 2022 11:32 AM

Are you growing any Winter Squash?

Thank you for sharing your Picture and Big Harvest with us "Garden Patch".

garden patch July 29, 2022 03:10 PM

I have some delicata, spaghetti squash and some pumpkins growing. I do plan to grow some butternut squash i hear they keep long.

MrsJustice July 29, 2022 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=garden patch;768747]I have some delicata, spaghetti squash and some pumpkins growing. I do plan to grow some butternut squash i hear they keep long.[/QUOTE]

Yes Butternut Squash, Cushaw Squash, and Crookneck Squash are very long keepers. But Delicata Squash will last you up to the First Winter with great flavor.

I am so proud of your Harvest, keep growing for your friends and family members, Amen!:).

Fred Hempel July 29, 2022 08:04 PM

Beautiful!

Yak54 July 29, 2022 08:57 PM

[QUOTE=garden patch;768723]I went into my garden yesterday and decided its time to pick my tomatoes this year has been a dry season in Toronto. I planted seven varieties this year .

Big Beef
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Big Rainbow
Cherokee Purple
Beefsteak
Opalka
San Marzano[/QUOTE]

Very nice pic of your different varieties !

garden patch July 30, 2022 07:10 AM

Thank you all for your replies. This is a wonderful community

Koala Doug July 30, 2022 02:31 PM

[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Garamond]That's a very nice haul... you should be proud![/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Garamond]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Garamond]:)
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

garden patch July 30, 2022 06:38 PM

25 plants in all. I’m going to collect more tomorrow.

garden patch August 1, 2022 09:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Second batch of tomatoes picked yesterday some preserves as well.
The Opalka tomato was impressive! It’s a good canner!

JRinPA August 1, 2022 05:00 PM

Lookin good in toronto.

MrsJustice August 2, 2022 09:53 PM

Yes , Last year my Opalka was so good, I eat them up before I got to the House to Shown my Husband how Big the were. They make the best Tomato Sauce for my Baked Squash Dishes.
Your looks Good , Amen!!

CrazyAboutOrchids August 3, 2022 10:07 AM

Beautiful pics!!!! Love the jars, jealous!

In CT, I have battled heat, humidity, drought and I'm on a well, disease. I have egads of squash, peppers, best year for garlic but sadly, my tomatoes have suffered like no year since I started garden over 12 years ago. This is my first year with no crop, not even cherries, they started out well, got hit with a heat wave early on during their first real bloom period and never quite got over it. I typically can loads of tomatoes, marina, and salsa and I can't even get a single nights snack out of my current crop. Disappointed, but I guess they can't all be good years.

Enjoy your harvesting and eat a few for me!

garden patch August 4, 2022 11:01 PM

I pray everyone has a good year. My pumpkins and squash did not do well this year. My garlic failed to grow I planted 50 cloves and only 6 survived I believe I put the wrong fertilizer in the ground when I planted them. 4-24-24. I won’t do that this November. Next are my eggplants and beets. So far so good.

JRinPA August 5, 2022 11:16 PM

That's a real shame about the garlic...I think I pretty much take everything for granted now, that it will grow well if timed correctly.

Have you done garlic a while or was it the first time?

garden patch August 7, 2022 08:08 PM

It was my second year the first harvest was fantastic. I believe I did the wrong thing with the fertilizer. My neighbour will give me more for this fall. He has always been generous. Good neighbours and friends always the best for sharing.

tryno12 August 7, 2022 11:43 PM

I was wondering, some of the tomatoes I have harvested this year do not look, taste, or seem like what I have labeled to come from said
plant.?? Since I do not bag my blossoms and plant my own harvested seeds from the previous year, is this what happens: unintended crosses??

MrsJustice August 8, 2022 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=tryno12;768872]I was wondering, some of the tomatoes I have harvested this year do not look, taste, or seem like what I have labeled to come from said
plant.?? Since I do not bag my blossoms and plant my own harvested seeds from the previous year, is this what happens: unintended crosses??[/QUOTE]

Hello Tryno-12

It is not too late to put netting around your Plants to keep them from crossing. Just Look around for some old netting fabric and just use clothespins to keep the netting down. :)

garden patch August 11, 2022 07:44 PM

It’s sometimes happens that you get some other types of tomatoes. I have three plants that are not what they a supposed to be. I’m still happy its a tomato!!!