Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Marzano Fire (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43132)

Fred Hempel November 18, 2016 04:40 PM

Marzano Fire

[IMG]https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15032659_1234113989979829_3704365756149978786_n.jpg?oh=965e85ccccf12922ebbf416fdb2daa21&oe=58D50A55[/IMG]

Marzano Fire. We recently released this tomato, and after a long season with a 100 ft row under careful watch, it is time to tout it.

It is relatively disease resistant. It is an indeterminate vine, but takes well to trellising, but you can't get behind. The heavy branches are not easily trellised when too long. It is very productive.

Most of all though, we are getting very very positive feedback on the sauce that amateur and professional chefs are making from the variety.

One rather curious characteristic came about in the past two days. It has been very cold in our field. My wife told me to go downstairs and get some of the tomatoes in that last crate of tomatoes. I refused. We argued. I told her those were seconds from last week, and they were all horrible and I refused to even sell them as soup tomatoes anymore.

She ignored me and went down and fished out a bunch of Marzano Fire tomatoes from the crate. They were the only ones that were in decent shape. We put them in our salad and they were GOOD. Really good. Like a good summer tomato. Better than I remember them being fresh in the summer. Even if it is our desperation for a fresh tomato coloring our taste, they are still better than all of the other tomatoes that have been hanging on in our field, and this is a good thing when you don't want to let go of tomato season.

So, that's the story so far about the tomato, Marzano Fire. It is an OP.

ginger2778 November 18, 2016 04:56 PM

Speckled Roman X San Marzano?( changed to correct name, thanks Fred)

Fred Hempel November 18, 2016 04:59 PM

Yes. Speckled Roman X my favorite strain of San Marzano. That was the original cross, and this is an OP variety.

One thing about Speckled Roman, which I think I said before, is that it is Speckled Roman that is the striped progenitor of all of the Artisan Cherry tomatoes (both round and long).

Raiquee November 18, 2016 08:29 PM

Love it Fred! Will have to add it to my grow list! :)

salix November 18, 2016 11:56 PM

Grew it this past season - agree in all respects. Very nice to eat fresh, and am very happy that I still have a few ripening out in the cold garage. Harvested mature green 2 months ago, they are still more than just edible. Yesterday made a tomato onion tart with some that had been on the kitchen counter for the past month - very yummy. They are beautiful, tasty and productive and loved by all who were lucky to share. (did you notice I asked for more of that seed with the Green Bee offer? :) )

Fred Hempel November 19, 2016 12:19 AM

I didn't notice, but I am not surprised. We had been viewing this as our "best paste", but now it is even more than that.

MrBig46 November 19, 2016 12:25 AM

Beautiful tomato. What approximately DTM? San Marzano variety mature very late for me .
Vladimír

Fred Hempel November 19, 2016 12:36 AM

These are earlier than San Marzano. I would say maybe 70-75 days in our field.

MrBig46 November 19, 2016 12:42 AM

I look forward to when I can to try sometime.
Vladimír

Barb_FL November 19, 2016 04:16 AM

This sounds promising; how long of a shelf life do you think this has if grown in a hot/humid climate with ripe tomatoes kept indoors in a/c?

Do you think shelf life would be longer than Garden Gem?

zeroma November 19, 2016 11:10 AM

This one sounds like a good paste to try! How do you think it would do in hydroponic growing system?

Any faster DTM doing it hydroponicly?

z

Fred Hempel November 19, 2016 03:22 PM

The only recent question I can answer is that I do think the shelf life would be better than Garden Gem.

Fred Hempel October 29, 2019 04:44 PM

Any more general feedback on Marzano Fire? In our hands it continues to perform well every year. For the farm, it is our go-to paste variety.

shule1 October 29, 2019 05:08 PM

Well, all I can say is it made it to my wantlist probably a few months ago, due to positive things I had read, but now it's even higher priority! ;)

Labradors2 October 29, 2019 06:04 PM

I grew it last year. It was beautiful and productive. A fabulous paste tomato :).

Linda

Fred Hempel October 29, 2019 06:41 PM

Thanks!

Nice to hear they did well in not the easiest of environments.

[QUOTE=Labradors2;748691]I grew it last year. It was beautiful and productive. A fabulous paste tomato :).

Linda[/QUOTE]

neoguy October 29, 2019 07:36 PM

We've grown it the last 2 years and it has become our favorite paste. The taste is fantastic and is a must grow from now on. Thanks for a great tomato Fred.

MrBig46 October 30, 2019 01:08 AM

I would like to try this tomato. Do you have someone to exchange a few seeds?
Vladimír

SeanInVa October 30, 2019 08:33 AM

Fred, I grew it for the first time this year. It did eventually succumb to Septoria, but we have it bad here (eastern Virginia) and there's not much here on our plot that doesn't eventually get taken over. It set fruit incredibly well. I definitely plan on growing this again and again, but at a larger scale. Thanks for working on and releasing this one!

I do have one question though. I noticed some plants had fruits that closely match the pictures I've seen (4-5" long or so) and then one or two that produced nothing but short fruits. Any thoughts on this? To be expected?

As an example
[img]https://i.imgur.com/EQ404eM.jpg[/img]

Fred Hempel October 30, 2019 10:23 AM

Hi Sean,

There were occasional off-types in our commercial production of seed a few years ago. Based on what they look like in our field (a small percentage of off-types that are variable) I am guessing that there was some outcrossing in the seed production field. But I did not visit the field, so I don't know anything else.

We are continuing to clean up the lines, and most of the seed we sell directly has been re-selected in our own field. But that doesn't mean that we are entirely free of off-types yet. But they should be less common going forward.

[QUOTE=SeanInVa;748721]Fred, I grew it for the first time this year. It did eventually succumb to Septoria, but we have it bad here (eastern Virginia) and there's not much here on our plot that doesn't eventually get taken over. It set fruit incredibly well. I definitely plan on growing this again and again, but at a larger scale. Thanks for working on and releasing this one!

I do have one question though. I noticed some plants had fruits that closely match the pictures I've seen (4-5" long or so) and then one or two that produced nothing but short fruits. Any thoughts on this? To be expected?
[/QUOTE]

jmsieglaff January 15, 2020 10:39 PM

We grow a lot of tomatoes plants for 1/4 acre lot, especially when 2/4 people in our house don't like fresh tomatoes. One of which is my wife, but today she said she wants to make sauce this year and I asked if I'd grow a tomato that is good for sauce. I had gotten some of these seeds and this will be our sauce tomato! I have never made sauce, neither has my wife, from what I've read a rough guide is ~5 lb of tomatoes to 1 quart of finished sauce. From what it sounds like, these tomatoes keep fairly well--so would you sauce makers think 2 plants be enough to make some sauce this year? Not talking huge amounts but enough to do a couple batches to learn, experiment, etc. I suppose we could always supplement with other tomatoes as well, but these will be the only paste varieties. Looking forward to trying this variety in 2020!

ddsack January 16, 2020 08:34 AM

How did I manage to miss this one??? Going on my list for this summer.

Nan_PA_6b January 16, 2020 02:34 PM

With two plants, you might need to harvest, then core, then put the tomatoes into a ziplock bag in the freezer as the harvest comes in. Keep adding to the bag as more are ripe. I say to core them because it's a bear to try to core them frozen or after they're thawed (too mushy). Also, slice them before putting in the ziplock, because thawing out a thick tomato is way more time-consuming that thawing a thin one. Lay the ziplock bag flat in the freezer, to facilitate thawing.

Freezing and thawing is good because you can easily strain off the clear liquid that the tomatoes emit, leaving you with a thicker sauce. After thawing, run them through a food mill* to remove the seeds & skins, and then cook them a little (not much, if at all). You can skim off any more clear liquid that shows up. I've cooked down that clear liquid separately, simmering a long time, to reduce it by half, and then when I'm making the sauce, if it needs to be any "zingier" I add some of the clear stuff.

If you're wanting to have enough tomatoes all at one time to make a batch, you'd need a determinate with a short harvest window. Fresh tomatoes are also harder to get the clear juice out of.

*Food mill: I just have a hand-crank one that was relatively inexpensive
[URL]https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T3HWR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/URL]

Labradors2 January 16, 2020 03:25 PM

I never had to core Marzano Fire!

I always freeze my extras making it easier to chose a good day to can them (allowing a couple of days for thawing in the basement). Fortunately, I have multiple coolers, so I pop all the skins off and then leave them in colanders with bowls underneath to catch the thawed liquid.

Linda

jmsieglaff May 21, 2020 09:49 AM

My two Marzano Fire plants were planted out last week. Looking forward at our first attempt of homemade tomato sauce this summer! Fred, is the foliage a bit wispy/narrow? Just something I've noticed on my seedlings (on about their 3rd set of true leaves).

Fred Hempel May 21, 2020 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;756183]My two Marzano Fire plants were planted out last week. Looking forward at our first attempt of homemade tomato sauce this summer! Fred, is the foliage a bit wispy/narrow? Just something I've noticed on my seedlings (on about their 3rd set of true leaves).[/QUOTE]

Yes. Wispy nut not as pronounced as with some other varieties.