Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Your Favorite Lettuce (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39069)

greenthumbomaha December 11, 2015 08:51 PM

Your Favorite Lettuce

Now that we are getting ready for growing fantastic tomatoes what are your favorite lettuces for a salad ?

Leaf lettuce does better as summer can sneak up on you before head lettuce is ready. Black Seeded Simpson is one commonly grown here.

- Lisa

Worth1 December 11, 2015 09:05 PM

I like any of the butter head lettuces along with the Boston types and Romain lettuce.
Worth

jmsieglaff December 11, 2015 09:10 PM

We grow a lot of buttercrunch and bronze arrowhead (aka bronze beauty). Both are tasty and prolific.

Gardeneer December 11, 2015 09:17 PM

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;518222]Now that we are getting ready for growing fantastic tomatoes what are your favorite lettuces for a salad ?

Leaf lettuce does better as summer can sneak up on you before head lettuce is ready. Black Seeded Simpson is one commonly grown here.

- Lisa[/QUOTE]

My favorite is butter head. . I have grown it few times.
it is similar to Boston Lettuce I like them tender with color. I always throw away the center vein and just use the tender pat. The I slice tomatoes and cukes very thin, to match the texture.

My least favorite is head lettuce. I have never bought one myself. It has no flavor.

Gardeneer

Cole_Robbie December 11, 2015 09:18 PM

I like a green leaf variety called Green Ice.

jmsieglaff December 11, 2015 09:28 PM

Cole Robbie, if this does well for you in IL I should try it in southern WI. How deep into summer do you grow it and how does the flavor hold up?

AlittleSalt December 11, 2015 10:41 PM

We bought some called, Black Seeded Simpson, Slo Bolt, and Little Gem. It looks like enough seed to plant half the county. I like just about any lettuce. With infused oil / vinaigrettes, dry, or several of the popular bottle ones. Did you know French dressing is made with tomatoes as a major ingredient?

Father'sDaughter December 11, 2015 11:52 PM

Lollo Bionda and Sweetie Baby are my two favorites.

Fusion_power December 11, 2015 11:55 PM

Les Orielles de diables
Forellenschluss
Nevada
Jericho
Outredgous

take a look at wildgardenseeds for some good ideas. [url]http://www.wildgardenseed.com/[/url]

Farmette December 12, 2015 12:12 AM

This last year I grew Pirat, a butterhead from High Mowing Seeds. It did very well here in southeastern Wisconsin...delicious, absolutely beautiful, picture perfect. I also grow Winter Density, a Romaine as well as some lettuce.mixes

habitat_gardener December 12, 2015 02:17 AM

I really like Tokyo Bekana. It's not a lettuce, but rather a type of chinese cabbage. It grows fast and has a really mild flavor-- you wouldn't guess it wasn't lettuce. I pick a whole bunch, wash and spin it, then we chop and eat it all week. Keeps well.

Sample Seed Shop sells it.

KarenO December 12, 2015 02:42 AM

I love interesting heirloom lettuces, merlot and Lolita are two beauties I got from Tatianas. Cimmaron is a great heirloom red cos or romaine lettuce, easy to grow. Oak leaf varieties are slow to bolt and interesting. Have a look at Tatianas selection of heirloom lettuces. Just beautiful. I really love unusual varieties and my lettuces are some of the most commented on things I grow in my community plot.
Karen O

loulac December 12, 2015 03:39 AM

I’m quite disappointed by the different kinds of lettuce that can be bought in supermarkets. They can be as big as cabbages but tasteless and can be kept only 2 or 3 days before rotting. I only grow traditional varieties that have a nice taste in the mouth when you chew a leaf. You can keep them in the fridge for a week. When I read the posts of this thread I’m relieved to see I’m not the only one to trust old varieties.

taboule December 12, 2015 06:25 AM

Paris White (a Romaine) and Sylvia (red leaf)

PhilaGardener December 12, 2015 06:30 AM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;518249]take a look at wildgardenseeds for some good ideas. [URL]http://www.wildgardenseed.com/[/URL][/QUOTE]

+1 Frank Morton, the owner of Wild Garden Seed, is a super talented breeder of lettuces and many other things. He lists 100 lettuce varieties, and offers some really great seed mixes from works in progress. :yes:

bjbebs December 12, 2015 08:43 AM

Nevada, tolerates heat well into June, cut and come again, pull the plant or harvest individual leaves. It has a softer texture than romaine but is still crisp and tastes great.

jmsieglaff December 12, 2015 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=PhilaGardener;518269]+1 Frank Morton, the owner of Wild Garden Seed, is a super talented breeder of lettuces and many other things. He lists 100 lettuce varieties, and offers some really great seed mixes from works in progress. :yes:[/QUOTE]

With two TVille recommendations for him and his lettuce, I'll have to order some this year. I've surfed his site before and was quite impressed with what he does.

jillian December 12, 2015 10:37 AM

I second the Jericho (romaine), Nevada (batavian type), and Pirat (butterhead). They can take the heat. Also Two Star (green leaf lettuce) and Galactic (deep red glossy leaf lettuce). And of course Little Gem and Tom Thumb. I also grow a mesclun mix just for fun.

zeuspaul December 12, 2015 11:22 AM

For heat I like Sierra. I was able to grow it all summer long. For cooler temps Little Gem (aka Sucrine) is my favorite.

Cole_Robbie December 12, 2015 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;518231]Cole Robbie, if this does well for you in IL I should try it in southern WI. How deep into summer do you grow it and how does the flavor hold up?[/QUOTE]

It's a spring crop for me. It also does well in containers.

I've had market customers recommend Nevada as a heat-tolerant lettuce.

ChiliPeppa December 12, 2015 01:49 PM

I grow Nevada as well. Never bolted for me and tastes great.

Tormato December 12, 2015 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;518249]Les Orielles de diables
Forellenschluss
Nevada
Jericho
Outredgous

take a look at wildgardenseeds for some good ideas. [URL]http://www.wildgardenseed.com/[/URL][/QUOTE]

A BIG thanks for the link, Darrel.

:roll:Since you're the one who now has set my seed swap back a few hours, others know who to blame.;)

Labradors2 December 12, 2015 04:53 PM

My gardening buddy down the road grows nothing but Nevada. She loves it, and claims that it is both heat and cold tolerant. She gave us a lettuce to try in the summer and it was very good. I'll be growing it next year!

Linda

Gardeneer December 12, 2015 06:28 PM

This thread tempting me to grow some lettuce coming spring.
We have perfect weather for lettuce, except for the slugs. They LUve lettuce. hehe

Father'sDaughter December 12, 2015 07:38 PM

Your Favorite Lettuce

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;518384]This thread tempting me to grow some lettuce coming spring.
We have perfect weather for lettuce, except for the slugs. They LUve lettuce. hehe[/QUOTE]

If you can find a way to deal with the slugs, lettuce is very much worth growing. Aside from the fact that it'll be so much better than store bought, for the cost of one head of lettuce, you can buy a pack of 500+ seeds. It's easy to grow, takes little space, and grows very quickly.

Worth1 December 12, 2015 07:44 PM

I grew some of the most beautiful bug free pesticide free high dollar butter head lettuce one year and I couldn't give it away.
It seems as all anyone here wanted or was familiar with was iceberg head lettuce.

What a darn shame.:(

Worth

KarenO December 12, 2015 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;518397]I grew some of the most beautiful bug free pesticide free high dollar butter head lettuce one year and I couldn't give it away.
It seems as all anyone here wanted or was familiar with was iceberg head lettuce.

What a darn shame.:(

Worth[/QUOTE]

Even iceberg -type head lettuce is easy to grow, just needs a head start in flats or cells. I can grow it up here, it grows fast into beautiful greener and a bit looser than grocery store iceberg heads and tastes about 100 x better. (The difference between a grocery store tomato and a home grown one better).
really, really good in my garden.
KO

RobinB December 12, 2015 08:43 PM

I've never really tried to grow lettuce before now. I got a greenhouse in August and I'm just getting used to being able to grow year-round... maybe. That is still to be determined. January is our coldest month and that's still to come! So far, so good.

Right now, I've got lots of different lettuces out there to see what I like best. I got some from Johnnys and Fedco plus the racks at Wally world. My two favorites right now are Yugoslavian Red Butterhead and osgarde. I also have tango, lolla rosa, freckles romaine, green oak leaf, vivian romaine, silvia romaine, outredgeous, red sails, green and red salad bowl, winter marvel, rouge d'hiver and black seeded simpson.

I've got to say... this is fun! When you actually grow things under the right conditions, they do really well! Who knew? I'll be looking to find some that will do well in the heat of summer. I guess I should try Nevada since that's where I am!

Cole_Robbie December 12, 2015 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;518399]Even iceberg -type head lettuce is easy to grow, just needs a head start in flats or cells. I can grow it up here, it grows fast into beautiful greener and a bit looser than grocery store iceberg heads and tastes about 100 x better. (The difference between a grocery store tomato and a home grown one better).
really, really good in my garden.
KO[/QUOTE]

That was also my experience with growing iceberg.

Worth1 December 12, 2015 09:13 PM

I have had all kinds of home grown lettuce including iceberg.
The sad fact of the matter is it always seems some type of vegetable or animal becomes more popular over another.
I dont know why this is but the losers end up being more expensive and people on a tight budget never get a chance to taste these other things.
A goose at my store is close to $100.
Butter head is maybe 4 times higher than iceberg.

Worth