Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   "Seeds n such" catalog (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34272)

clkeiper December 4, 2014 12:41 PM

"Seeds n such" catalog

I received a new catalog in the mail yesterday called "Seeds n Such", they have a Graniteville SC PO box for their return address. Has anybody used them before? I have never heard of them. so I am hesitant to try them, but the shipping is a fabulous price. I can't believe how expensive the S&H from some of these commercial companies has gotten. I think Stokes was 8.00 this year. And all I needed was three varieties they carry. I ordered enough to not use them next year, I think.

paulgrow December 4, 2014 01:22 PM

I got one also, I believe they are associated with Park

LDx4 December 4, 2014 02:00 PM

I got that catalog in the mail yesterday also. There's a letter from the owner inside the front cover. J. Wayne Hilton owned Totally Tomatoes and RH Shumways back in the 1990s. He started this new company just last year.

Lyn

clkeiper December 4, 2014 06:31 PM

Lyn, Thanks! I missed that letter and here I was thinking it reminded me of TT.

Caspian Pink November 18, 2015 03:55 PM

Has anyone ordered from Seeds n Such? If so, what has been your experience?

luigiwu November 19, 2015 11:24 PM

I ordered in May. It was fine. They don't have the largest selection of tomato seeds but instead have a little of everything. Great prices on hybrids like sungold. I am also appreciative of the low shipping cost. If they have what you want, go for it.

AlittleSalt November 20, 2015 01:10 PM

I just requested a seed catalog.

jillian November 21, 2015 01:11 AM

Wow, great prices especially the buy 10 or more. Seems they have most varieties that grow well in the South. I will be ordering!

MendozaMark November 21, 2015 07:13 AM

I ordered from Seeds and Such just recently and the seeds were delivered quickly to Canada. They had very good prices on some of the hybrids I wanted.

greenthumbomaha November 21, 2015 08:47 AM

Great selection of hybrid peppers. Website went down for updating while I was looking around.

- Lisa

site is back up, very good selection of varieties that are not "the usual" , prices reasonable

Caspian Pink November 23, 2015 05:53 PM

Thank you for all your responses.
I like their great selection. There are quite a number of varieties I am interested in. I will be ordering soon.

ceresone February 19, 2016 03:03 PM

I just tried to order online--and prices were higher than in the catalog, anyone else notice this?

clkeiper February 21, 2016 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=ceresone;533762]I just tried to order online--and prices were higher than in the catalog, anyone else notice this?[/QUOTE]

If you read the catalog closely it lists the seeds by largest to smallest quantity of packets per order... [SIZE="7"] 20 packets and up is 1.99 in nice large print.[/SIZE] in much smaller print underneath that is 13-19 packets 2.19 each 7-12 packets 2.39 each and 1-6 packets 2.79 each . a bit on the deceptive side to me. it looks a better deal than it really is if you want just a couple packets. but even 2.79 a packet for something you cant buy locally is a better deal. is that what you noticed? I looked on line and didn't notice a difference in prices.

Benny W5TYZ April 26, 2017 05:57 PM

Seeds N Such

The only problem I can see, is the germination of most of the seeds is only 75% and some are 50%. My early bird tomato seeds, the Warrior variety only had 5 seeds and non of them germinated. My Nadia egg plant only 2 of 12 seeds germinated. First time in all my gardening years have I received non-germinating seeds in this amount.....

Benny
Orange, TX

gothicgardens April 26, 2017 06:50 PM

I have ordered once and never again. Low quantities per package and very low germination rates.

Ricky Shaw April 26, 2017 07:37 PM

They've got some excellent germinating Sungold, I can say that. Barb from Florida sent me a dozen seeds and every single one is a seedling now.

mikemansker April 26, 2017 07:57 PM

I've ordered from them with excellent shipping and germination numbers.

daylilydude April 26, 2017 08:39 PM

I ordered from them this year and received them 4 days later, and of the seeds that I have planted I have gotten great germination on them...

Benny W5TYZ April 27, 2017 09:13 AM

Package Data

Every seed package/packet from Seeds n Such has the germination rate printed on the package. When the seed count is 10-15 seeds, and the germination rate is 75%, then you can expect 8-10 seeds to germinate, If it's 50%, as some are stated, then 5-7 seeds will sprout......
Benny

Benny W5TYZ April 27, 2017 01:07 PM

Seeds n Such UPDATE......

Update on the bad germination of my seeds purchased from Seeds n Such.
I just received an email from Jerry Wayne Hilton. He is replacing all of
the seeds I wrote him about that had less than posted germination. At least he
is willing to work with the customer.

Benny

jillian April 27, 2017 01:24 PM

I have ordered from them several times. So far very pleased with germination. Fast shipping and packaged well.

carolyn137 April 27, 2017 01:52 PM

[QUOTE=LDx4;438426]I got that catalog in the mail yesterday also. There's a letter from the owner inside the front cover. J. Wayne Hilton owned Totally Tomatoes and RH Shumways back in the 1990s. He started this new company just last year.

Lyn[/QUOTE]

Yes, Wayne owned TT and several more but then he sold out to Jung's, I think, all his companies except one.

I knew him very well.

I knew he couldn't stay out of the seed business for long,so it was no surprise to me that he got back in.

[url]https://www.google.com/search?q=Wayne+Hilton,+seeds,+SC&hl=en&site=imghp&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjC0qePlcXTAhXB1IMKHQLwBTgQ_AUICSgA&biw=1402&bih=788&dpr=1[/url]

As I recall when he started his first one,TT,he joined SSE and got seeds from others to start out with, I also recall that I think he was an ad executive for Colgate Palmolive and Peet,so his descriptions had that ad type slant, and he was not entirely liked by others for several reasons.

All this being said I do wish him well with his new comapany since once a company owner,one who has a passion for selling,etc.

Just don't ask him about the variety Big Zac f1.;):?:

[url]https://www.google.com/search?q=big+zac+tomato+seeds&hl=en&site=imghp&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi18-KmmcXTAhXo44MKHavnAZoQ_AUICSgA&biw=1402&bih=788&dpr=1[/url]

Carolyn

clkeiper April 27, 2017 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=gothicgardens;634638]I have ordered once and never again. Low quantities per package and very low germination rates.[/QUOTE]

that is too bad, I had no problems with the seeds I ordered from them. I even used some of the seeds I didn't start last year just a couple weeks ago... they all germinated. what did you order and how did you start them. somethings need a bit of heat such as the peppers and egg plant to get started. those I never start without heatmats.

AlittleSalt May 26, 2017 02:31 PM

I received the [I]First-Ever Fall Seed Catalog[/I] from Seeds n Such today.

Hey, there's no tomato seeds...how can it be a seed catalog without tomato seeds? :?

They're here [URL]https://www.seedsnsuch.com/product-category/non-gmo-vegetable-seeds/tomatoes/[/URL]

MissS May 26, 2017 02:50 PM

Maybe they don't have them in the catalog, but they do have 10 pages of them on their website. They have both OP's and F1's. They are found listed in the vegetable heading under "Tomatoes".

[url]https://www.seedsnsuch.com/product-category/non-gmo-vegetable-seeds/tomatoes/[/url]

It was foolish not to put any tomatoes in their catalog. They are losing many peoples interest in placing an order with them.

jillian May 26, 2017 03:22 PM

That does seem odd. Would it be because it is the fall catalog? I just placed an order with them a couple days ago, haven't received fall catalog yet. I just might inquire why they chose not to include tomatoes in fall brochure. Inquiring minds want to know!

carolyn137 May 26, 2017 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;642671]Maybe they don't have them in the catalog, but they do have 10 pages of them on their website. They have both OP's and F1's. They are found listed in the vegetable heading under "Tomatoes".

[url]https://www.seedsnsuch.com/product-category/non-gmo-vegetable-seeds/tomatoes/[/url]

It was foolish not to put any tomatoes in their catalog. They are losing many peoples interest in placing an order with them.[/QUOTE]

An alternative viewpoint is that Wayne got you to the website where there's more of everything than he could put in a catalog/

If you look at the TGS catalog I think you'll see the same. I'm assuming that both of my examples have a link in their catalogs to their websites,but no time to check it out. And I just remembered that Territorial does the same and probably more that I haven't remembered as well.

Methinks one could consider it as smart marketing.:)

Carolyn

Father'sDaughter May 26, 2017 11:38 PM

Fall catalogs must be the thing to do these days. I got one yesterday from Peaceful Valley, but since my garden shopping is done for the year, it went straight into the recycling tote, so I don't know what it did or did not include.

jillian May 27, 2017 05:18 PM

My order came today from SeedsnSuch. Received two free packets of seeds......
Hybrid Pepper Blight Buster and Hybrid Tomato Warrior. I haven't looked them up yet but might just give them a try next year.

mikemansker June 2, 2017 07:17 PM

Excellent Experience

I had an excellent experience with Seeds 'n Such today. I ordered from them this spring and got Warrior 5443 seeds as a free gift. The variety is doing so well that I thought I would plant a few more for a all crop.

I couldn't find the variety on the website for sale, so I contacted them through their website contact form and heard right back from Jerry. He said that the seeds were availale for purchase but wouldn't be listed on the site until spring. I gave him my contact number and they called and I gave them my order.

This is a lot or support for a few seeds, and I appreciated their going above and beyond to get the seeds I wanted.