Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Undercover Gardening™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Greenhouse is done! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21985)

nicky March 26, 2012 11:51 AM

Greenhouse is done!

4 Attachment(s)
We finally finished moving the greenhouse to its permanent home! I bought a little snap & grow greenhouse about 1.5 years ago and have been meaning to move it ever since!

We poured a foundation.
[ATTACH]22790[/ATTACH]

Built the walls & wall capper & backfilled with a yard of gravel.
[ATTACH]22791[/ATTACH]

Then we attached the greenhouse to the top of the wall!
[ATTACH]22788[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]22789[/ATTACH]

The walls are made from old weathered concrete block that we found free on Kijiji! It is far too tall for me to reach the top window, so I will have to build a little ladder now! There is electricity & water ready to hook up - as soon as I dig the trench across our lawn! We also want to put a few extra supports inside & need to lengthen the front door. By midweek it will be completely ready for planting!!! I am ridiculously excited & can't wait to get home to just sit in it!

:D

RebelRidin March 26, 2012 01:49 PM

Congrats. I am sure you will enjoy that tremendously. :yes:

rnewste March 26, 2012 02:15 PM

nicky,

Very professional design and construction!:love:

Raybo:)

ddsack March 26, 2012 02:29 PM

Well done! I know you will appreciate the extra height from your cement block walls. I am jealous. :dream:
Nice open garden spot, too! Please post some more garden and greenhouse pictures when you've got things up and growing.:wait:

Zana March 26, 2012 04:02 PM

Looking fabulous Nicky! Can't wait to see it in person. Hint, hint. LOL

Zana

nicky March 26, 2012 04:03 PM

Thanks for comments everyone.... this has been SUCH a long day at work.... waiting to go home & play in the greenhouse!

I will definately post a few pics when its all full. Last year I had about a dozen tomato plants growing - one out of the roof vent! This year they will have about 4 extra feet to climb!

nicky March 26, 2012 04:05 PM

Oh - posted at the same time Zana! Come on over & we can sit inside the greenhouse & have a bevvie! I think everyone will know where to find me for the next while!

:yes:

Zana March 26, 2012 04:09 PM

I am green with envy - all puns intended, Nicky. I dream of having a real greenhouse. Bought a plastic covered 3 tier one today for $30....but will have to keep it inside for now. Minus temps predicted for tonight.

Will be glad to sit and sample a bevvie and enjoy the greenhouse. BTW....the more I look at it, the more I like your concrete block lower walls. Great idea....heat retaining as well as adding height.

Zana

nicky March 26, 2012 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=Zana;263892] Will be glad to sit and sample a bevvie and enjoy the greenhouse. [/QUOTE]

You are welcome anytime! Let me know if you have a spare time any evening & we can get together.

It seemed very warm in the greenhouse last night. I couldn't reach high enough to close the roof vent & the bottom half of the door is missing - it was freezing outside & still it managed to hold quite a bit of heat. I think that the stone walls & the fact that it is sunk down a bit into the ground really helped. After dark, I lit a few candles inside of the greenhouse, so that we could admire it from afar while soaking our aching bones in the hot tub! When I went to blow them out it was still 20C and the outside temperature was 3C!

Not a bad life :lol:

Now on to the other 87 backyard projects :?:

Mark0820 March 26, 2012 05:17 PM

That is a very nice looking greenhouse. I'm sure it will provide many hours of enjoyment from Spring time through the Fall.

kath March 26, 2012 05:34 PM

Happy for you, Nicky- it looks great!

dokutaaguriin March 26, 2012 08:57 PM

Nice greenhouse! You will love gardening undercover.

Jeff

Worth1 March 27, 2012 01:37 AM

Looks great nice masonry work.:yes:

Don't let Zana drink all of your single malt.:P

Worth

Zana March 27, 2012 08:15 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;264017]Looks great nice masonry work.:yes:

Don't let Zana drink all of your single malt.:P

Worth[/QUOTE]

Now Worth.....y'all are presuming I wouldn't bring any with me. ;) And I could bring the makings of virgin margaritas.....and let Nicky decide if she wants to up the kick in hers. LOL Because seeing as it's at least a 20-30 minute drive to Nicky's place from mine, drinking alcohol and driving is out of the question for me. It's an either / or....I don't do both.

Zana

nicky March 27, 2012 09:00 AM

Easy solution - Spare room for single malt nights!

Margaritas (virgin or not) sound good to me! They smell like summer! :)

I make a mean Mango Daquiri (with or without the rum).

austinnhanasmom March 27, 2012 09:26 AM

LOVE it!

Jealous here too :)

I want update photos as well!

Zana March 27, 2012 11:50 AM

Omg Nicky you are definitely tempting me.... :twisted: :lol:

And Mango anything is great...even had Mango Rum when I was in Jamaica last April. Yummmmm....but I didn't grab any to take home. Sighhhhh....kicking myself in the butt over that one. :cry: :cry: Mango ....sighhhhhh...now there's a sign of spring.

Worth1 March 27, 2012 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=Zana;264072]Omg Nicky you are definitely tempting me.... :twisted: :lol:

And Mango anything is great...even had Mango Rum when I was in Jamaica last April. Yummmmm....but I didn't grab any to take home. Sighhhhh....kicking myself in the butt over that one. :cry: :cry: Mango ....sighhhhhh...now there's a sign of spring.[/QUOTE]

We get mangoes year round down here
By folks on the side of the road mangoes are sold.
By folks at the store mangoes are sold.
Every where you go Mangoes are sold.
Mangoes Mangoes every where there are mangoes.:love:

Worth

nicky March 27, 2012 12:27 PM

Hey Worth

Grab a carton for us & stop by the greenhouse on your way up North! :)

nicky March 27, 2012 12:30 PM

Hey Worth

Grab a carton for us & stop by the greenhouse on your way up North! :)

oops - double post must mean I would really love some fresh mangoes!

Zana March 27, 2012 12:39 PM

Dang...If I could I'd be picking up a case or three or five when next down there in Houston,Worth. But not sure they'll still be in season. Sighhhhhhhh :cry:

Zana

Worth1 March 27, 2012 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=Zana;264087]Dang...If I could I'd be picking up a case or three or five when next down there in Houston,Worth. But not sure they'll still be in season. Sighhhhhhhh :cry:

Zana[/QUOTE]

Grown here is June through August. Just in time for you.;)
The rest of the time they come from farther south.
So you can get them year round here.

Worth

Worth1 March 27, 2012 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=nicky;264084]Hey Worth

Grab a carton for us & stop by the greenhouse on your way up North! :)[/QUOTE]

I wish I could.:)

Worth

Zana March 27, 2012 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;264091]Grown here is June through August. Just in time for you.;)
The rest of the time they come from farther south.
So you can get them year round here.

Worth[/QUOTE]

Yippppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee....okay.....will have to base number of cases to be purchased on how much luggage we're carrying. LOL With most of us travelling for at least a week, it could be crazy.....hmmmmm.

Nicky - I'll let you know how many I intend to bring back when I get down there. LOL : I foresee a Mango-mania over-nighter. ;)

Zana