Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   MAGTAG™ XII - 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Who's Bringing What? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15611)

gflynn August 13, 2010 10:35 AM

Who's Bringing What?

Hi All,

I am trying to remember all the things that must be brought and coming up with a list.

Of the non-food Items I can bring:
1. Table Coverings (with duct tape to hold them down)
2. Red Plastic Cups (for pennies)
3. Paper plates (for tomato display and tasting)
4. Some Paper Towels (we may need more)
5. Some Permanent markers (we will definitley need more)
6. Cheap old metal Knives for tomato cutting during the tasting
7. Coin Envelopes for Seed traders. (perhaps we should have a seed giving/trading station?)
8. Awards courtesy of my kids. (best tasting and biggest).
9. Tip Jar

Other things we will need include:

1. Trash bags.
2. Charcole
3. Lighter Fluid
4. Grilling utencils
5. Extra Toliet paper incase the facilities are out!
6. Ziploc Plastic bags for taking home seeds.
7. Sign explaining the penny system of voting (Cecila, do you still have the old one?)

Please contribute your ideas:

Cecilia,

Since your husband will be grilling will he require any meat from me or is he set on bringing his own stuff? Does he need help with Charcole lighter fluid ect?

Food Items I will bring:

1. Bottled Water
2. Juice Boxes (for kids)
3. MAGTAG Brew
4. Side Dish courtesy of Luanne (Dear Wife)
5. Hot dogs for kids ect. (Cecilia, what is you husband planning?)
6. Birthday cake coutesy of my mom for Luanne and Cecilia's dad.

Other Food Items we will need:

1. Hot dog and hamburger rolls?
2. ???

Ideas?

Greg

Cecilia_MD7a August 13, 2010 02:18 PM

This year I will cook MORE BACON! And I will take care of all the rest of the BLT bar supplies. As usual, I'll bring along some vino, too.

I still haven't checked the boxes downstairs, but I'm pretty certain we have plenty of sharpies or other markers. I also have a handful of old knives. I will make directional posters as usual. I promise I will check on supplies this weekend!

Greg, Dave might not be able to grill this year because of the problems with his legs - his veins haven't been right since he had a DVT and can't stand for long periods of time. So I'm not sure about whether he intends to supply meat. I know that he will be buying Dangerously Delicious pies again, since they were a big hit.

I think I should have a decent amount of tomatoes for the tasting this year, but I can always use extras for the BLT Bar.

Greg, I hope you're right about the 85-ish temps for the occasion ....

Cecilia_MD7a August 13, 2010 02:20 PM

Oh, yes - I think the seed station is a good idea. I think I have a plastic container with my extras in it (unless they were all taken at the Burtonsville MD spring swap).

gflynn August 13, 2010 02:59 PM

Cecelia,

You mention a Greg M. who may man the grill? If not I would be happy to do it but I would have to start early which is not a problem. What time are you planning on showing up?

I just talk to Trudi and she and Steve are comming! She wants to know what to bring to help and I gave the link to this thread and a similar one on the "Other" tomato site :-)

I mentioned Wide Foil for covering things and perhaps a package of Sausage for grilling.

Greg

hank August 13, 2010 07:15 PM

Available to bring things. Need to be told "Hank & Cheryll, bring this." Plan to contribute to the fund.And hope you'll keep enough for expenses this time.
Hank

gflynn August 13, 2010 09:42 PM

Hank,

Please wear the Sponge Bod tee-shirt ;-)

How about Big Green trash bags and coke and sprite in a cooler? You should label the cooler and we will place it in a common area, with other drinks so all can see and enjoy. How does that sound?

Greg

hank August 14, 2010 07:06 AM

Trash bags, drinks, ice,cooler, Spongy. Can do. Hank

cdbva August 14, 2010 10:49 PM

I have an abundance of quart-size Ziploc bags, which I will be glad to bring.

Cheesecake, of course.

What else? TP is easy enough to pick up...

:wait: Christine

cdbva August 14, 2010 10:50 PM

P.S. Cecelia, what color is your hair this year?:lol:

Cecilia_MD7a August 15, 2010 01:44 PM

I'm back from the basement where I just conducted an inventory of last year's MAGTAG supplies. While I was down there, I noticed that the area around the sump pump was flooding. Fortunately, all the MAGTAG stuff was in a plastic container. Dave discovered that the water was coming into the basement because the downspout outside had come loose. Thank goodness it wasn't anything serious.

Anyway, we're in pretty good shape as far as leftover supplies are concerned. Here is a list of what I found:

- Enough plastic cutlery for 3 MAGTAGS
- More napkins than you can shake a stick at (if that's your idea of a good time, as Grouncho said)
- 4 boxes of heavy-duty foil: 2 wide, 2 regular
- @ 20 reusable red plastic dinner plates
- @ 100 white Chinet plates
- Salt & pepper shakers
- Plastic bottle for olive oil
- 12-15 cheap steak knives, plus a large knife and large fork
- @ 35 plastic wine cups
- a dozen or so ballpoint pens
- @15 Sharpie markers
- Raid bug spray
- insect repellant
- Hand sanitizer
- Sunblock

Greg, I think I still have the penny system instructions from last year. If not, I'll recreate them.

I talked with Janet M (whose husband Greg M usually volunteers to grill with my husband) and she says they will bring hot dogs and hamburgers. So if you're a vegetarian or vegan, please bring some soyburgers if you would like them (of course, we alwaysl have plenty of veggie dishes at MAGTAG!)

So, as far as I can tell, we still need:
- More Paper Towels
- Coin Envelopes for Seed traders.
- Trash bags.
- Charcoal
- Lighter Fluid
- Grilling utensils (This was a big deal last year because I forgot ours!)
- Sausage (great idea! Actually, if you have anything that you want to grill, just bring it!)
- Did anybody mention duct tape and/or packing tape?

I plan on arriving before 9:00 and will have boring old bleached blonde hair again.

Gotta post this on the "other" website now...

Cecilia_MD7a August 15, 2010 02:30 PM

Forgot to mention ... if you have any extra tomatoes (i.e. ones that aren't pretty or are bruised or something), I could use them for my BLT bar!

Cecilia_MD7a August 16, 2010 09:27 AM

Greg - I checked and I still have the penny-jar instructions.

New this year: My husband works for the Baltimore Sun newspaper and snagged new review copies of Amy Goldman's book "Heirloom Tomato" and Tim Stark's "Heirloom." We'd like to raffle them off and give the proceeds to Trudi for wintersown.org. Trudi and Steve should get a kick out of that. What do you all think? A buck a chance per book?

hank August 16, 2010 06:39 PM

As far as raffles go my wife,Cheryll, wins most of them. Be forwarned and we will , of course, contribute more per chance.
Hank

gardener August 16, 2010 07:52 PM

I can bring charcoal and a means to light it. I use a chimney and recycled newspaper, much less polluting than petroleum based lighter fluid! Better flavor too I don't like hydrocarbons in my burger.

I should have some Cuostralee and some Kellogs Breakfast. Maybe an Anna Russian too.

gflynn August 17, 2010 04:24 PM

Cecilia,

Good idea on the book raffle.

Also, I can provide coin envelopes and cooking utenciles and a copy of Dr. Carolyn's book! Also, I could provide some chicken (thighs, wings, drumsticks).

Greg

gflynn August 18, 2010 12:41 PM

Gardener,

I will be at MAGTAG early and so I probably should bring the Charcole and get it started early to avoid dangerous food shortages :cry: . Unless of course you are comming early? As an alternative you could bring water bottles in a cooler labled "Water". We would put it with the other drinks. That would come in very handy! What do you think?

Cecilia,

I have 9 inch paper plates with a wax coating that would be perfect for tomato presentation because more will fit closer on the tables and the Chinet will absorb water. The Chinet, however, are the perfect size for food! What do you think?

I will also bring some larger wax coated in reserve.

Greg

gflynn August 19, 2010 09:44 AM

I am bringing my Gazebo for the cooking area to reduce sunburn. If anyone else has one it could come in handy.

Greg

Cecilia_MD7a August 19, 2010 03:04 PM

And I need to remember to bring the food scale!

cdbva August 20, 2010 01:54 AM

[quote=gflynn;181129]I will be at MAGTAG early and so I probably should bring the Charcole and get it started early to avoid dangerous food shortages[/quote]

That is so thoughtful!

Okay, so I'm bringing Ziploc bags and emergency TP. Any other supplies needed?

I don't think I can get there at 9:00. What time will the tomato tasting begin?

Christine

gflynn August 20, 2010 09:34 AM

Christine,

The party officially starts a 9AM but most folk are there until after 10AM. The tasting really begins as soon as the tomatoes hit the table. There is no real set order to it except at some point it does come to an end usually before 4PM and closer to 3PM.

I had suggested bringing Water but I realize now that I already said I would bring that. Further more, I already have a cooler ready with the water and Juice boxes so don't worry about that. Just bring your self!

I am starting a thread to explain how tomato presentation and rating works though many already know this. Have a look.

Greg

cdbva August 20, 2010 10:52 AM

Unfortunately, our cooler is doing emergency duty as a refrigerator, since the real fridge went south a couple of days ago.

Thoughts:

a. could bring water and put it in someone else's cooler
b. could swap missions with someone else who's doing something not cold

Or..?

Christine

P.S. Holy frijole, it just occurred to me: I don't think I'm going to be able to chill a cheesecake. Oh man.

gflynn August 20, 2010 11:02 AM

Christine,

Don't sweet it. I actually bought a bunch of bottled water yesterday in anticipation of a camping trip and I already agreed to bring as I can see from my previous posts.

Just bring your self! Oh and if you have any tomatoes bring those too!

Greg

gflynn August 20, 2010 11:03 AM

Christine,

Don't sweet it. I actually bought a bunch of bottled water yesterday and I already agreed to bring as I can see from my previous posts.

Just bring your self! Oh and if you have any tomatoes bring those too!

Greg

gazpacho August 20, 2010 01:03 PM

I will bring hummus and veggies, a loaf of anise bread. I hope I will have some tomatoes tomorrow, but no guarantee, Also bringing some arugula seeds a friend sent me from Egypt that I promised to Trudi, but will bring some extras for the seed exchange, but will need something to put them in. Will only be there two or three hours because Jim just got in from the Middle East last night. Lisa

Cecilia_MD7a August 20, 2010 04:01 PM

A few last minute comments:

I just finished cooking the bacon for the BLT bar (nice and crispy for Luanne); still need to wash and tear the lettuce.

The bad news is, I have no tomatoes of my own worth bringing. Nada. Zilch. Bupkis. The good news is, my co-worker Jennifer gave me a bunch of Better Boys or some other kind of hybrid she grew from plants for my BLT bar. She also grew a plum type, which I am calling "Jennifer's Mystery Roma" since she can't remember which variety it is.

I went to Office Depot today and bought some marked-down name tags (since we forgot about them), and some raffle tickets! BTW, I've added another book to the raffle - William Alexander's "The $64 Tomato." Too bad we don't have a copy of Carolyn Male's "bible" to raffle off - for now I'll call it "The incomplete tomato library." $1 a chance for the aforementioned book, Amy Goldman's "Heirloom Tomato," and Tim Stark's "Heirloom." All proceeds will go to Trudi's Wintersown.org educational charity. (Trudy, are you there?)

gardener August 20, 2010 05:32 PM

Well I am already in Hunt Valley and I have two big bags of charcoal, a chimney starter. Sorry I didn't see that someone else was bringing charcoal until I checked in to my hotel.

I have lots of tomatoes, green grape, riesentraube, cuostralee, and one anna russian.

Looking forward to meeting y'all tomorrow.

gflynn August 20, 2010 05:42 PM

Gardner,

Sounds Good, I will wait for you and the Charcole unless it starts getting late. Cecelia and I do clean-up meaning that if anything is missing we try and cover it. So if your there with Charcole that would be a big help.

Greg

gflynn August 20, 2010 05:43 PM

Cecelia,

I have a few extra Dr. Lyles. I think we will be ok.

Greg

hank August 20, 2010 09:01 PM

I'm bringing about 15 lbs of p Cherokees. They are not pretty. Can bring more Brandywines and any number of Mountain Fresh. They would be a lesson of grocery store perfect looking toms versus home grown.
Hank

cdbva August 20, 2010 11:10 PM

Going to store now. I'm going to pick up some paper towels as well, FYI -- saw those mentioned on the first page. (I expect to arrive around 11:00. Try not to be too messy before I get there...)

Might pick up some chips, too.

Christine