Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Cucumbers for this season (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10694)

duajones March 18, 2009 12:59 PM

Cucumbers for this season

I have Burpee pickler growing now, tendrils just starting to form. In the last two days I have sown; Yellow Submarine, Cool Breeze and Poona Kheera. What are you guys growing as far as cukes this spring?8-)

BattleOfBennington March 18, 2009 01:01 PM

Got 30 Bostons under the lights for planting, and the lemon's will get started soon.

[quote=duajones;124450]I have Burpee pickler growing now, tendrils just starting to form. In the last two days I have sown; Yellow Submarine, Cool Breeze and Poona Kheera. What are you guys growing as far as cukes this spring?8-)[/quote]

Reign March 18, 2009 03:04 PM

This year I'll grow Boston Pickling, Lemon and Poona Kheera. I may talk myself into revisiting Boothby's Blonde.

New this year (if the seeds arrive) is Jaune Dickfleischige.

lefty_logan March 18, 2009 06:31 PM

I am growing tendergreen, national pickling, and muncher

gardenfrog March 18, 2009 07:33 PM

I'll be growing White Stallion cuke (New Dimension Seeds) and Poona Kheera. Last year I enjoyed growing Sikkim, and I highly recommend it for taste and novelty!

DeanRIowa March 18, 2009 08:02 PM

Here is my 2009 plan:

Cucumbers:
==========
General Lee
Korean
Mexican Sour Gherkin
Melothria trilobata
Poona Kheera
Sikkim
Suhyo Long Slicing
Super Zagross Middle Eastern Slicing Cucumber

Dean

gardenfrog March 18, 2009 08:16 PM

Dean, where did you get your Sikkim seeds? Baker Creek is sold out.

DeanRIowa March 18, 2009 08:48 PM

[QUOTE]Dean, where did you get your Sikkim seeds? Baker Creek is sold out.[/QUOTE]

I was able to get some in a trade this fall. I plan on growing them out and offering them next year in the SSE yearbook.

Dean

gardenfrog March 18, 2009 10:19 PM

I grew this last year and had the most fun sharing the experience. Next time I'll save some seeds!

seymour_man March 18, 2009 11:00 PM

Boothby Blonde
Poona Kheera
Lemon
Diva
Beth Alpha

duajones March 18, 2009 11:03 PM

Poona Kheera mentioned in all but 2 grow lists so far, it is a keeper for sure. I am however curious about this Sikkim variety

akgardengirl March 19, 2009 01:53 AM

I have just two:
Lemon
Greek
They germinated quickly. This is my second try at growing them but last summer wasn't warm at all so I am hoping for all my plants that this summer will be great.
Sue

duajones April 19, 2009 01:05 PM

Ate my first cuke of the year this morning, Burpee Pickler, not bad at all.

gardenfrog April 19, 2009 07:18 PM

Duane, you slime! That's no fair!!! (Ha!)

veggie babe April 20, 2009 01:53 AM

gardenfrog is right, my cucs are still just little bitty things, they won't be ready for a "spell." :wait: It's a big cruel world out there. I panic every time you and feldon30 tell us about your maters and stuff, then some poor person up north pops in to say hello and I feel all better again.

neva8-)

veggie babe April 20, 2009 06:05 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARDENFROG;) have a great day.

neva

duajones April 20, 2009 10:42 AM

Poona Kheera began flowering this morning, wont be long till its loaded with cukes. Cool Breeze and Yellow Submarine still have a ways to go

Mojo April 20, 2009 06:01 PM

My cukes got set back by the round of cold weather two weeks ago :( It'll be at least two weeks before I can munch even baby cukes.

duajones April 20, 2009 08:40 PM

Will pick my 3rd burpee pickler for dinner tonight. Had one last night with some homegrown clover sprouts drizzled with italian dressing, pretty good stuff.

cottonpicker April 20, 2009 10:15 PM

I am growing only Beth Alfa and Korean this year so far.... looking for Poona Khera seed. Will gladly trade seeds.

piegirl April 23, 2009 11:18 PM

I'll be planting Japanese climbing, mini-white, straight 8, lemon, and perhaps a pickler. They will go along the fence the peas are growing on. Need to find something sturdy for the Japanese climbing - alittle disease prone but excellent fruit even when larger. Piegirl

IrishGuy April 28, 2009 07:29 AM

This year is my first year for growing cucumbers. And I decided to grow some from seed mostly for something for my 3 year old daughter to enjoy, planting, watering, watching grow, etc. Right now the plants are in 16 oz. plastic Solo cups and they are all around 7" tall. I plan on transplanting three plants into larger pots and growing them in the pots. I don't have any room in my small garden to have cucumbers in the ground. At what point does anyone reccomend I transplant the plants into the larger pot? I usually don't plant my garden outside until the middle of May. I am in northern Indiana and we could still very possibly get frost overnight. If need be, I could put the plants into the pots and keep them inside the house for a little while. Thanks for any advice on this.

duajones April 29, 2009 10:04 AM

Harvested around 12 Burpee Picklers so far.Poona Kheera has its first baby cuke and is flowering like crazy. Yellow Submarine and Cool Breeze have just begun flowering. Plan to make some refrigerator pickles sometime soon

OmahaJB May 9, 2009 06:19 AM

This will be my first year for growing cucumbers. I've started some to put out as seedlings, and will be sowing a few directly into the soil in case the seedlings don't respond well. Although I have MORE than enough seedlings to plant out.

Varieties: Chinese Yellow; Delikatesse; Poona Kheera; White Stallion

I have plenty Delikatesse and Poona Kheera, and a couple White Stallion. Only 1 Chinese Yellow as I sowed just a couple knowing space will be limited.

Now will have to decide whether to allow them to sprawl or stake them. Most likely I'll allow them to sprawl.

I've heard good things about Poona Kheera and White Stallion, so I'm expecting the best from them.

Jeff

duajones May 9, 2009 10:41 AM

Picked my 8th Poona Kheera this morning. Not sure about Cool Breeze at this point, plant is pretty large with plenty of female flowers but they are all dying and falling off. Not one fruit forming as of yet

feldon30 May 9, 2009 02:59 PM

Guess you could hand-pollinate from Poona Kheera male flowers if seed-saving is unimportant.

Got a little paintbrush?

duajones May 9, 2009 03:49 PM

Cool Breeze isnt supposed to need male flowers to pollinate but I guess it might be worth a try. I thought I would be making refrigerator pickles by now.

zinnia11 May 9, 2009 05:37 PM

I started two cucumber plants, Boston Pickling and Tendergreen on around March 9. I have seen several of the tendergreen cukes develop and grow, but they only get to be about 3-4 inches long and they are very plump and then they start turning yellow. Is this normal? Should I pick the cukes when they are so small or are they not ripe yet? I thought that they would get much longer before becoming ripe enough to pick. This is my first garden, so I am clueless.

cottonpicker May 9, 2009 07:20 PM

Having grown cucumbers in the past, I know for sure that nothing in the supermarket can compare with the fresh, sweet quality of home-grown, fresh from the vine. I have expanded my varieties and am starting (germinating) the following for this season--- Poona Kheera, Lemon, Korean & Beta Alpha. Let's hope & pray we have a good season.

newatthiskat May 10, 2009 01:09 AM

I googled the tendergreen cukes and it is supposed to get about 6.5 inches. I have only grown cucumbers a few times but the color change would tell me they are done growing and are getting over mature. I would pick before that.
Kat