Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Finally, I think I can put the Red Jazz debacle behind me. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50640)

Fred Hempel October 2, 2020 09:28 PM

Finally, I think I can put the Red Jazz debacle behind me.

A few years ago I had 3 or 4 candidates for "Red Jazz" a red beefsteak tomato with yellow stripes.

I sent seeds out to people, and to make a long story short, they all sucked. So I will understand if no one believes I can make a good red tomato with yellow stripes.

But, after many wrong turns in my attempts to come up with a good red beefsteak, I finally have one that does very well for me. The only question is how well it will do in other places, but I am pretty optimistic that it will do well most places.

If you are curious about this new tomato, seeds will be available in February and the easiest way to get them is through [URL="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1742317361/lecce-a-beautiful-new-gourmet-slicer-tomato?ref=discovery_category"]a kickstarter project[/URL] we have set up. The tomato is called "Lecce"

[IMG]https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/116620893_3678636638832287_6720529882193416978_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=174925&_nc_ohc=DTlD5ARt8ooAX9rtJgd&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=274dee6d5c702b2b7491d21f329658ef&oe=5F9CA39E[/IMG]

KarenO October 2, 2020 10:29 PM

It’s a beauty, can’t wait to try it!
KarenO

Fred Hempel October 2, 2020 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;759948]It’s a beauty, can’t wait to try it!
KarenO[/QUOTE]

I don't know how well it will do at the north pole...

KarenO October 2, 2020 11:28 PM

Ha! I’m pretty good at growing tomatoes my friend ... all the rest of yours have done well up here :)
Time will tell
KO

biscuitridge October 3, 2020 01:10 AM

If that tastes as good as it looks, it's an absolute winner!

imp October 3, 2020 05:23 AM

Fred will this be a hybrid or OP?

GreenThumbGal_07 October 3, 2020 12:51 PM

Fred, what a gorgeous tomato. I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

Fred Hempel October 3, 2020 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=imp;759953]Fred will this be a hybrid or OP?[/QUOTE]

Lecce is a hybrid. We have another new variety, Rainbow Jazz Heart, which is an OP. It is a little bit softer, with a few more seeds. But a great tomato as well.

imp October 4, 2020 12:06 AM

Thank you, both look lovely and I hope you do well with them.

Volvo October 4, 2020 03:29 AM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;759946]A few years ago I had 3 or 4 candidates for "Red Jazz" a red beefsteak tomato with yellow stripes.

I sent seeds out to people, and to make a long story short, they all sucked. So I will understand if no one believes I can make a good red tomato with yellow stripes.

But, after many wrong turns in my attempts to come up with a good red beefsteak, I finally have one that does very well for me. The only question is how well it will do in other places, but I am pretty optimistic that it will do well most places.

If you are curious about this new tomato, seeds will be available in February and the easiest way to get them is through [URL="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1742317361/lecce-a-beautiful-new-gourmet-slicer-tomato?ref=discovery_category"]a kickstarter project[/URL] we have set up. The tomato is called "Lecce"

[IMG]https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/116620893_3678636638832287_6720529882193416978_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=174925&_nc_ohc=DTlD5ARt8ooAX9rtJgd&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=274dee6d5c702b2b7491d21f329658ef&oe=5F9CA39E[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Yep certainly a Nice looking Tomato but at $4,577 i would certainly want to be good lol..

Fred Hempel October 4, 2020 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=Volvo;759970]Yep certainly a Nice looking Tomato but at $4,577 i would certainly want to be good lol..[/QUOTE]

What is $4,577?

Volvo October 4, 2020 08:23 PM

On your link , where it says "The Easiest way to get them "

Fred Hempel October 4, 2020 08:33 PM

[QUOTE=Volvo;759982]On your link , where it says "The Easiest way to get them "[/QUOTE]

Yes. But what is the significance of that number?

What are you implying?

Fred Hempel October 4, 2020 08:37 PM

Do you think $5 for 30 hybrid seeds is out of line?

Do you think $10 for 100 hybrid seeds is out of line?

Do you have any idea how expensive it is to produce hybrid seeds?

Are you sure the amount raised will even pay for the seed production? Let alone any of the development costs?

Volvo October 4, 2020 10:05 PM

No disrespect my friend :) just looked at the link you initially posted and it had that price which must have been a missprint hence my reply.
But no i definetly dont think $5 or $10 is overpriced and yes i would be interested in buying some off you if you PM me the details of purchase ..

KarenO October 4, 2020 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=Volvo;759986]No disrespect my friend :) just looked at the link you initially posted and it had that price which must have been a missprint hence my reply.
But no i definetly dont think $5 or $10 is overpriced and yes i would be interested in buying some off you if you PM me the details of purchase ..[/QUOTE]

If you go to the link and read through it you will find information about the varieties. If you click onto “ back this project” you will see a number of options of rewards for different price levels.
If you are interested in any of these (really great!) deals you can go ahead and make your purchase.
You are getting seeds for a great price not donating.
It’s a great opportunity to try some brand new excellent tomatoes along with some very popular well known varieties.
Lots of photos as well.
KarenO
( the Karen Olivier mentioned, breeder of “the Canadians” in the rewards.

rxkeith October 4, 2020 10:57 PM

maybe peter saw dollar amount raised to goal on the kick starter page.
price for various amount of seeds or day at the farm is a second click to access page.
nearest i can figure.

keith

Fred Hempel October 5, 2020 12:12 AM

[QUOTE=Volvo;759986]No disrespect my friend :) just looked at the link you initially posted and it had that price which must have been a missprint hence my reply.
But no i definetly dont think $5 or $10 is overpriced and yes i would be interested in buying some off you if you PM me the details of purchase ..[/QUOTE]

All information is in the link. There is no need to PM.

The link I "initially posted" is still there. There is no miss-print.

Then, as now, it clearly states that is the total amount raised (from numerous people who have all agreed to contribute small amounts in return for seeds). It also clearly has all of the individual rewards.

Volvo October 5, 2020 01:15 AM

[QUOTE=rxkeith;759988]maybe peter saw dollar amount raised to goal on the kick starter page.
price for various amount of seeds or day at the farm is a second click to access page.
nearest i can figure.

keith[/QUOTE]

Thanks Keith ,herxactly as you said :)..

clkeiper October 5, 2020 08:57 AM

so, If i read the kickstarter correctly you have met the goal and it will be a definite project? I am in for it, I just want to make a list for ordered seeds

Fred Hempel October 5, 2020 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;759992]so, If i read the kickstarter correctly you have met the goal and it will be a definite project? I am in for it, I just want to make a list for ordered seeds[/QUOTE]

Yes. The project is a "go".

We use Kickstarter to help with projects we are already doing. So we set goals low. In this case, Lecce is most exciting development of this year, with regard to new varieties we have, and that is why there is a kickstarter project.

Whether we do the project is not determined if the Kickstarter project gets funded, and we view Kickstarter "backers" as simply people who want to get ahold of something we have that is new and exciting -- for a reasonable cost. In other words, we view them as customers.

MrBig46 October 5, 2020 12:25 PM

I would like to participate, but when I go to the implementation and I want to enter my Mastercard number there, it turns off for me. I don't know what it is.
Vladimír

Volvo October 5, 2020 05:42 PM

Paypal acceptable as did not see it among the card acceptable ??, or could be my eyesight??.

Fred Hempel October 5, 2020 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;759995]I would like to participate, but when I go to the implementation and I want to enter my Mastercard number there, it turns off for me. I don't know what it is.
Vladimír[/QUOTE]

Strange. I wonder if anyone else has had that problem.

Fred Hempel October 5, 2020 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=Volvo;759999]Paypal acceptable as did not see it among the card acceptable ??, or could be my eyesight??.[/QUOTE]

I think they take Mastercard or Visa (Credit or Debit). They just took my Mastercard Debit for a project I just pledged to.

Don't know about PayPal.

Volvo October 5, 2020 07:11 PM

Would be nice as thats my way of Payment ey :)..

MrBig46 October 6, 2020 02:21 AM

Vldimír

MrBig46 October 6, 2020 02:23 AM

I have to wait until Saturday at my son, he will look at it.
Vladimír

clkeiper October 6, 2020 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;759994]Yes. The project is a "go".

We use Kickstarter to help with projects we are already doing. So we set goals low. In this case, Lecce is most exciting development of this year, with regard to new varieties we have, and that is why there is a kickstarter project.

Whether we do the project is not determined if the Kickstarter project gets funded, and we view Kickstarter "backers" as simply people who want to get ahold of something we have that is new and exciting -- for a reasonable cost. In other words, we view them as customers.[/QUOTE]

fabulous. thanks. looking forward to a new variety.

clkeiper October 6, 2020 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=Volvo;760004]Would be nice as thats my way of Payment ey :)..[/QUOTE]

in todays economic world there are many forms of payments available. we need to be flexible and have more than ONE in our wallet. get a low balance CC if you can. otherwise you don't get to pay to play.