Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Making fresh tomato sauce with a cheese grater (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42623)

LoreD August 22, 2016 09:36 PM

Making fresh tomato sauce with a cheese grater

Really cool method for removing the skin.

[url]www.metaspoon.com/tomato-sauce-cheese-grater-food?cat=food[/url]

dmforcier August 22, 2016 10:11 PM

It might be interesting to compare this method to blanching.

Personally, I think it must be awfully sloppy.

MarianneW August 22, 2016 10:23 PM

I can see myself cutting my hand open. I can hardly be trusted to open a box or grate ginger.

AlittleSalt August 22, 2016 10:50 PM

That would be different. I wish they had shown a picture of the cheese grater. We've been using our two "ALL in ONE PAT. PEND." cheese graters for 31 years now, and they were used when we got them.

LoreD August 22, 2016 11:32 PM

I tried it and it worked.

I didn't slice my hand.

It was a regular box grater, and it wasn't sloppy. It all went in the bowl, and then was poured on my pasta.

dmforcier August 23, 2016 12:57 AM

You mean you grated fresh toms and poured on your pasta without cooking? Okay.

LoreD August 23, 2016 08:39 AM

Yes, it was a little different, but it tasted good.

dmforcier August 23, 2016 11:59 AM

Hmmpf. Worth a try I guess. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now I just need some tomatoes.

Aerial August 23, 2016 12:35 PM

That looks good. Thanks for sharing! (:

Worth1 August 23, 2016 01:14 PM

I prefer uncooked salsa.
Worth

Relish May 5, 2017 04:21 AM

[QUOTE=LoreD;588322]Really cool method for removing the skin.

[url]www.metaspoon.com/tomato-sauce-cheese-grater-food?cat=food[/url][/QUOTE]

This is going to change my life, lol!

Relish May 5, 2017 04:23 AM

[QUOTE=LoreD;588358]I tried it and it worked.

I didn't slice my hand.

It was a regular box grater, and it wasn't sloppy. It all went in the bowl, and then was poured on my pasta.[/QUOTE]

Did you heat the sauce? If so, how long?

SteveP May 8, 2017 10:10 AM

Looks pretty cool and effective to me. I bet after adding garlic, onions, mushrooms, basil, S&P and some Italian seasoning and simmering it for an hour to reduce the water it would be really good. I am definately going to try this when I get tomatoes.

Randall May 8, 2017 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;588462]I prefer uncooked salsa.
Worth[/QUOTE]

Same

BigVanVader May 8, 2017 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=Randall;638093]Same[/QUOTE]

Same Same

Relish May 9, 2017 01:56 AM

[QUOTE=SteveP;638071]Looks pretty cool and effective to me. I bet after adding garlic, onions, mushrooms, basil, S&P and some Italian seasoning and simmering it for an hour to reduce the water it would be really good. I am definately going to try this when I get tomatoes.[/QUOTE]

I like your style....

Rockporter May 9, 2017 02:03 AM

hmm, I just took off a pan of tomatoes that I cooked down and cooled. Tomorrow I will have to do the best I can to get as many seeds as possible out of it before I use the immersion blender on it to make the sauce less chunky. I would try the grater, but I would remove as many seeds as possible first, then cook it down.

shule1 May 9, 2017 02:55 AM

[QUOTE=LoreD;588322]Really cool method for removing the skin.

[url]www.metaspoon.com/tomato-sauce-cheese-grater-food?cat=food[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! :)

I like tomato skins, but it looks like a quick way to make fresh sauce/salsa without a food processor or something. I could always use the skins for something else. Maybe tomato vinegar! :)

sdambr May 9, 2017 09:31 AM

Thanks for sharing, I tried this last night and used it to make a dressing for a salad. Worked and tasted great!

Frank D May 12, 2017 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=shule1;638294]Thanks for the tip! :)

I like tomato skins, but it looks like a quick way to make fresh sauce/salsa without a food processor or something. I could always use the skins for something else. Maybe tomato vinegar! :)[/QUOTE]

Or Vodka!

BigVanVader May 12, 2017 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=Rockporter;638293]hmm, I just took off a pan of tomatoes that I cooked down and cooled. Tomorrow I will have to do the best I can to get as many seeds as possible out of it before I use the immersion blender on it to make the sauce less chunky. I would try the grater, but I would remove as many seeds as possible first, then cook it down.[/QUOTE]

I always half then squeeze out juice/seeds over a fine mesh strainer. Gets 100% of seeds and then I can add back juice if needed plus save all my seeds in one process.

jtjmartin May 12, 2017 10:21 AM

Added to my list to try! Thanks for posting.

shule1 May 12, 2017 10:32 AM

I tried the cheese grater method. It works pretty well.

Worth1 May 12, 2017 11:43 AM

Not gonna happen at my house I have a food processor and I don't mind skins.
Not that it isn't a bad idea.
To me sauce and salsa mean the same thing.
Worth

coronabarb May 12, 2017 12:37 PM

I don't mind skins either and figure they are good for me. On the other hand, my chickens love them. So, either way, I eat them :D

Rockporter May 12, 2017 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;639043]I always half then squeeze out juice/seeds over a fine mesh strainer. Gets 100% of seeds and then I can add back juice if needed plus save all my seeds in one process.[/QUOTE]

Great idea!

oakley May 12, 2017 04:00 PM

Good idea. Save seeds, save the juices, grate for a quick sauce. Put the skins into the
dehydrator for powder.
I could see doing that once in the fall. Or freeze the skins until enough are collected
for the dehydrator. Skins have a lot of flavor, especially for powder.

I don't usually bother skinning/seeding for most things but dehydrating i need to get some of the
moisture out so i save the juices.