Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Preserving Your Harvest (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Operation Old Pressure Cooker. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44053)

Worth1 March 4, 2017 10:55 AM

Got 14 pints of these beautiful black bean/great northern bean combo processing in the big canner.
4 pounds of these beans was exactly enough to fill each jar.
I soaked them over night drained the water and rinsed.
Then I filled up the pot again with fresh water and brought to a simmer low boil for over 30 minutes.
Filled each pint to requirements and covered with water I used to boil them with.
This water has soluble fiber in it.
I put 1/2 teaspoon of canning salt and about 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper in each jar.
Worth

Worth1 March 4, 2017 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here they are before the liquid was added.
[ATTACH]70371[/ATTACH]

encore March 4, 2017 11:05 AM

sounds good worth! i made corned beef hash last year from spike2's (cyndi) recipe and it came out great.

Worth1 March 4, 2017 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Came out looking awesome. :yes:
Best batch yet.
Worth
[ATTACH]70379[/ATTACH]

Jimbotomateo March 4, 2017 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;623096]Here they are before the liquid was added.
[ATTACH]70371[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Worth, I got some of those when I was kid going thru Arizona. They are candied rocks, and yes, you can eat them.:lol:.

Worth1 March 4, 2017 04:19 PM

Just picked up the old Kook Kwick canner. :D
Worth

Jimbotomateo March 4, 2017 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;623156]Just picked up the old Kook Kwick canner. :D
Worth[/QUOTE]

Awesome, how much do you want for it? After it's restored! :lol::D.

Worth1 March 4, 2017 09:09 PM

Not for sale.:twisted:
This one has a groove in it that has some sort of old gray sealant in it, 'looked like that old window putty.
This seals on top of the canner rim.
I knew it was hard and cracked but I slowly brought it up to pressure and it was letting out a little steam.
I knew this would happen.
After it got to around 18 psi it was starting to whistle.:))
So I shut the fire off.
The sealing material was trashed when I took the lid off.
No problem at all, I will just make another gasket for it, this stuff isn't rocket science.

Worth1 March 4, 2017 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The little one takes after it's mother. :lol:
Worth
[ATTACH]70398[/ATTACH]

Jimbotomateo March 4, 2017 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;623247]The little one takes after it's mother. :lol:
Worth
[ATTACH]70398[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Worth , did the new one come with seal originally.? If you make a new seal what kind of material will you use? I'm going to have to get a canner this year. Are the new ones any good? Yesterday my wife informed me we're down to 4 qts of tomatoes. I canned over sixty.:lol:. What happened?. We gave a few away and when we started counting we found out we gave out over thirty!:lol:. Jimbo :)

loulac March 5, 2017 03:11 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;623247]The little one takes after it's mother.[/QUOTE]

A very nice collection, I wish I had the same variety in sizes, They are indestructible as long as you use your brain which is quite sharp as we have all noticed.

[QUOTE=Jimbotomateo;623256]If you make a new seal what kind of material will you use? Jimbo [/QUOTE]

A very interesting question. I suggest shopping around to find gaskets designed for pressure cookers of the same diameter, the length has no importance as you can add the required length taken from a second gasket (it works, I’ve done it).
Another path to explore, Worth will know if it’s sensible or not : applying a layer of silicon gel in the groove. Will it stand the heat and pressure ? I really don’t know.

Worth1 March 5, 2017 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Jimbotomateo;623256]Worth , did the new one come with seal originally.? If you make a new seal what kind of material will you use? I'm going to have to get a canner this year. Are the new ones any good? Yesterday my wife informed me we're down to 4 qts of tomatoes. I canned over sixty.:lol:. What happened?. We gave a few away and when we started counting we found out we gave out over thirty!:lol:. Jimbo :)[/QUOTE]

Jimbo the new ones are just fine, I would suggest you get a new one.

Did you get your jars back they dont grow on trees and cost money.

[QUOTE=loulac;623292]A very nice collection, I wish I had the same variety in sizes, They are indestructible as long as you use your brain which is quite sharp as we have all noticed.

A very interesting question. I suggest shopping around to find gaskets designed for pressure cookers of the same diameter, the length has no importance as you can add the required length taken from a second gasket (it works, I’ve done it).
Another path to explore, Worth will know if it’s sensible or not : applying a layer of silicon gel in the groove. Will it stand the heat and pressure ? I really don’t know.[/QUOTE]

Loulac, pressure canning/cooking was invented in your country.

I will try to explain the seal or gasket.
It looks to me like some sort of seal was laid in to set up.
The gap between the top rim on the canner and where it fits in the lid on the sides is maybe .004 at the very most.

Here is what it looks like and how it works.
The band fits on the two bevels and as you tighten the band it squeezes the lid down on the top of the canner rim and secures it.

They make a silicon sealant that can withstand over 650 F 343 C, application boilers.
It stays pliable after it is set up.
This is an option.
Another would be a big O ring.
Many options to choose from.
What ever you put in the groove wont come out, it is trapped.
What ever is used within reason will be a better product than they had that many years ago.

[ATTACH]70399[/ATTACH]

Worth1 March 5, 2017 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lets see where this puppy starts regulating pressure.
Prototype weight regulator fresh off the lathe.
Worth
[ATTACH]70408[/ATTACH]

Worth1 March 5, 2017 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a hair under 11 psi the same reading I get from the factory weight regulator.
I measured and weighed the other one and made adjustments.
This thing worked on the first test believe it or not.
Worth
[ATTACH]70409[/ATTACH]

Worth1 March 5, 2017 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the factory one holding just about the same.

I want to note that reading is on full burner.
If I bring it down to the setting I have it on for canning the gauge will read exactly like the homemade one constantly.
Worth
[ATTACH]70415[/ATTACH]