Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   True North Tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35894)

salix July 9, 2015 08:56 PM

Very beautiful indeed, your heart must be fairly bursting with pride. The anticipation of tasting would be almost unbearable...

jmsieglaff July 9, 2015 10:47 PM

Karen, very impressive! My tomatoes were sown April 1, planted out in my buckets on May 10 and in the ground May 15, I've only got 1 ripe tomato so far--today. It was a Sungold. I must say 43 days from transplant on tomatoes that size is quite impressive. Have you shared the parentage of these tomatoes? Do you find tomatoes ripen fairly quickly from transplant with your very long days this time of year? Maybe it's just been weather too--you mentioned it has been hot by you? I've been a bit cooler than normal and wet.

KarenO July 9, 2015 11:15 PM

The original cross was a RL heart which I found to be quite early in my garden a few years ago called Ludmilla's pink heart, an heirloom from Kazakhstan I got from Caroline's seed offer crossed with a favourite tomato of mine a tri colour PL beefsteak with great flavour called Captain Lucky.

My goal at the time and wishful thinking I thought was a fancy PL heart that tasted good and was early enough for a Northern Garden.
Certainly the hot weather has effects on the growth and ripening. we do enjoy long day lengths here but no matter how you slice it, this is very early for a full sized tomato. I feel very fortunate and am looking forward to sharing with folks who would like to try them once I have stable seed.
KarenO

KarenO July 11, 2015 04:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
July 11, the smallest Polaris is the first to ripen and I finally get to see inside and taste one. Battered by hail in June and none too perfect, most are blunt hearts this one more oblate. Dark red-purple, minimal green shoulder, clear epidermis.
few seeds juicy and meaty. Earthy and sweet/spicy delicious flavour. It's hard not to be prejudiced but I honestly think it rivals the best of the blacks I have tasted like Margaret Curtain for example. You know those tomatoes you can smell when you slice it? This is one of those tomatoes.
I couldn't be happier with the earliness either. It has been hot here and I believe this is contributing to the earlier ripening but even still, these are very early for full sized tomatoes. There are more productive plants than the one this came from so it will be interesting to decide which of the 12 plants is the best overall to bring forward to the F4.

ginger2778 July 11, 2015 05:37 PM

Beautiful, Karen. Nice color, and so meaty. But enough seeds to be able to collect a fair amount. What great work you do.:)

efisakov July 11, 2015 05:51 PM

Looking delicious and has aroma! A winner, definitely a winner. Great, Karen!

RobinB July 11, 2015 08:18 PM

I love that deep color. Beautiful! I'm so happy for you, congratulations Karen!

ddsack July 11, 2015 10:52 PM

Early indeed, for that size of tomato! Congrats on the good work!

bower July 12, 2015 09:07 AM

That's a great basket of fruits for early July. I'm really looking forward to the day when I can grow out the fruits of your labours! :yes:8-)

KarenO July 12, 2015 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=bower;488921]That's a great basket of fruits for early July. I'm really looking forward to the day when I can grow out the fruits of your labours! :yes:8-)[/QUOTE]

They are looking like there won't be much more major segregation and all the recessive traits I want are fixed in the F3. Thanks for being a cheerleader from the beginning Bower. You and the others who have always offered encouragement will absolutely be among the first to try them. One more year and then F5 seed next fall to some TV friends to try I think.

KarenO

bower July 12, 2015 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;488994]They are looking like there won't be much more major segregation and all the recessive traits I want are fixed in the F3. Thanks for being a cheerleader from the beginning Bower. You and the others who have always offered encouragement will absolutely be among the first to try them. One more year and then F5 seed next fall to some TV friends to try I think.

KarenO[/QUOTE]

That is awesome, Karen. Let us know how you want the seed handled, I'll be sure to carry out your wishes. Tis a fine thing you've done! ;)

ginger2778 July 12, 2015 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;488994]They are looking like there won't be much more major segregation and all the recessive traits I want are fixed in the F3. Thanks for being a cheerleader from the beginning Bower. You and the others who have always offered encouragement will absolutely be among the first to try them. One more year and then F5 seed next fall to some TV friends to try I think.

KarenO[/QUOTE]

(Frantically waving hands), OH OH ME ME ME! ;)

raindrops27 July 12, 2015 11:42 PM

Those tomatoes are absolutely beautiful!!

NarnianGarden July 13, 2015 10:37 AM

*waves* yes, please, pick me!

RobinB July 13, 2015 01:09 PM

Karen,
I would be honored to help in any way I can. These tomatoes need to be out in the world! There are too many bad-tasting earlies out there!