Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   True North Tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35894)

Yak54 May 29, 2020 04:32 PM

Your Tundra is growing very well in my garden presently. I hope to give Polaris a try next season also. :)

Dan

KarenO May 30, 2020 01:01 AM

[QUOTE=Yak54;756499]Your Tundra is growing very well in my garden presently. I hope to give Polaris a try next season also. :)

Dan[/QUOTE]

Excellent! Please let me know how it does and how it tastes for you.
KarenO

Yak54 May 30, 2020 10:55 AM

I'm very glad to do that. I'm guessing I won't be eating them till around Aug. 1st or so, but I'll definitely get back to you.

Dan

Yak54 May 30, 2020 12:19 PM

No luck posting photo

KarenO May 30, 2020 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=Yak54;756532]No luck posting photo[/QUOTE]

Tundra should give you ripe fruit in good conditions around 75 days from transplant. I will expect ripe fruit from mine seed sown March 23 transplanted May 12 around mid July
Karen

Yak54 May 30, 2020 06:39 PM

That sounds good to me. Seeds sown April 7th and transplanted to garden grow bags on May 21st. So I could get ripe fruit a week earlier than I thought :D

jmsieglaff June 2, 2020 09:35 AM

Hi Karen,

I'm also growing Tundra this year, I'm excited to try it. The plant is growing nicely, planted out mid May, first blossoms will be opening in the coming days.

Justin

KarenO June 2, 2020 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;756665]Hi Karen,

I'm also growing Tundra this year, I'm excited to try it. The plant is growing nicely, planted out mid May, first blossoms will be opening in the coming days.

Justin[/QUOTE]

Excellent! Love to hear how it tastes for you
KarenO

KarenO June 2, 2020 10:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This garden is all various large fruited ones of mine and the KARMAs
Growing well and starting to bloom June 1
For the first time, nearly all the plants I’m growing this year are mine with the exception of some very interesting new varieties from Artisan Seeds.
As always, wishing I had more space but my husband is glad I don’t
KarenO :)

PNW_D June 2, 2020 12:17 PM

Karen, what are you using as mulch?

KarenO June 2, 2020 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mixed White wood shavings. Aspen, birch etc. Sold in compressed bales as animal bedding. Clean, stays put no weed seeds no chemicals.
I rake the majority of it off in the fall and compost it. Breaks down quite well because it’s Thin shavings not chips or chunks.
Been using it for a few years now and I like it.
I buy it at Buckerfields here, I imagine available most feedstores etc. About 13 dollars for this bale, does my whole garden in a thin layer to cover The soil. I also did all my large pots.
KarenO

KathyDC June 3, 2020 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, some critter ate the growinig tip off of one of my Taiga plants! I'm so irritated! The good news is I still have another one growing -- I usually don't put out doubles of plants because I like to have a large variety every year, but this year I did.

Happy to say the other Taiga plant is doing beautifully and already putting out enormous leaves, especially for its size, like this beautiful one. It looks practically like an elephant ear.

Salsacharley June 3, 2020 01:34 PM

My first Taiga tomato last year was the best tomato I've ever had. I'm growing 2 this year from Karen's seeds and 1 from seed I saved from last year, which has already exposed itself as a cross with something because it doesn't have true potato leaves. I promise no disappointment with True North Taiga. Karen says to compare Taiga to Midnight Sun so I'll do that for sure.

[QUOTE=KathyDC;756724]Well, some critter ate the growinig tip off of one of my Taiga plants! I'm so irritated! The good news is I still have another one growing -- I usually don't put out doubles of plants because I like to have a large variety every year, but this year I did.

Happy to say the other Taiga plant is doing beautifully and already putting out enormous leaves, especially for its size, like this beautiful one. It looks practically like an elephant ear.[/QUOTE]

KathyDC June 3, 2020 02:01 PM

Karen, a question about your growing setup -- I see you're using stakes AND cages, do you add a top cage later or is that your typical setup, bottom cage and stake?

I ask because I didn't get enough tomato cages this year -- I usually zip tie a top cage onto the bottom cage, then zip tie a stake to the outside of the cages just to keep the setup from toppling over. This year I have enough bottoms, but not enough tops -- and am wondering if I need to go get more, or if I can just tie the main stem off to a central stake with just the bottom cage and hope that's good enough....

KarenO June 3, 2020 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=KathyDC;756727]Karen, a question about your growing setup -- I see you're using stakes AND cages, do you add a top cage later or is that your typical setup, bottom cage and stake?

I ask because I didn't get enough tomato cages this year -- I usually zip tie a top cage onto the bottom cage, then zip tie a stake to the outside of the cages just to keep the setup from toppling over. This year I have enough bottoms, but not enough tops -- and am wondering if I need to go get more, or if I can just tie the main stem off to a central stake with just the bottom cage and hope that's good enough....[/QUOTE]
This is all I do. Then I tie the cages together. Makes it pretty solid my plants don’t get super tall, maybe six feet at most