Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Condiments/Sauces (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=81)

Zana September 15, 2012 02:12 PM

[B][U]Spanish Tomato Sauce - Sofrito[/U][/B]

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Condiment LowCal (Less than 300 cals)
LowerCarbs Vegan

[B][I] Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method[/I][/B]
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
20 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
1 long green pepper -- (Anaheim or other type that is not "hot")
1 yellow onion
1 clove garlic
Spanish virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Spanish sweet paprika
salt and pepper -- to taste

Finely chop the onion and garlic. Chop the pepper into 1/4" (or smaller) pieces. Heat a large frying pan with a heavy bottom over medium heat. Pour in enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Put the onions into the pan and sauté them until they are transparent, reducing the heat if necessary so as not to burn them. Add the green pepper and continue to cook for 5 minutes, adding olive oil if necessary. Be sure to stir often, to vegetables do not burn. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Pour the crushed tomatoes and paprika into the pan and mix well. Continue to cook for about 10-15 minutes.

If using as an ingredient in another recipe, allow to cool for a few minutes before using.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

[B]AuthorNote: [/B]Sofrito is a basic tomato sauce that is made all over Spain. Tomatoes, onions, garlic, green peppers and olive oil are sautéed in a frying pan, so that the acid in the tomatoes mellows and mixes with the flavors of the onion, pepper and garlic. It can be eaten with rice or eggs, but often it is used as an ingredient in other dishes, such as the filling for empanadas.

Cuisine:
"Spanish/Iberian"
Source:
"Lisa & Tony Sierra, Spanish Food @About.com"
S(Formatted by Chupa Babi):
"Sept 2012"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 67 Calories; 1g Fat (6.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 189mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 5460 5077 0

Zana September 15, 2012 02:13 PM

[B][U] Taste of Cuba Sofrito - Vegetable Paste[/U][/B]

Recipe By :Pascual Perez and Chef Sonia Martinez, Cocina Cubana Club
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Condiment LowCal (Less than 300 cals)
LowerCarbs

[B][I]Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method[/I][/B]
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
21 cherry tomatoes -- chopped
2 green peppers -- chopped
2 large onions -- chopped
8 garlic cloves -- chopped (8 to 10)
1 bay leaves -- (1 to 2)
1 pinch ground cumin
1 pinch dried oregano
3/4 cup Sherry -- or to taste
4 Tbsp olive oil
Salt -- to taste (optional)

Sautee tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, bay leaves, cumin and oregano in oil slowly until all vegetables are limp. Add Sherry and let simmer. If you add the salt, taste beforehand as you might not need it at all.

Yields enough for 8 recipe bases

[B]AuthorNote: [/B]Sofrito is the base of many typically Cuban recipes. My mom used to chop up all the ingredients (except bay leaf) in a blender and store in a jar with a drizzle of olive oil on top. Stored in refrigerator, it can last about a week. She would spoon out amounts needed for each recipe, add the bay leaf and then sauté and simmer as directed. The secret to a good sofrito is to let it simmer a while so all the tastes meld.

Cuisine:
"LatinAmerican/Hispanic"
Source:
"Taste of Cuba"
S(Formatted by Chupa Babi):
"Sept 2012"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 123 Calories; 7g Fat (60.4% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 7mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Zana September 15, 2012 02:30 PM

double post

Zana September 18, 2012 09:27 PM

[B]Sun-Dried Tomato Dip Recipe[/B]

I love to serve this dip for tailgate parties or as an appetizer for any
occasion. It's so quick and easy to pull together and just full of flavor!
—Andrea Reynolds, Rocky River, Ohio

Prep/Total Time: 10 min.
Yield: 8 Servings

[B][I]Ingredients[/I][/B]
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and patted dry
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 green onions, sliced
Assorted crackers and/or fresh vegetables

[B][I]Directions[/I][/B]
• Place the first seven ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until blended.
• Add green onions; cover and pulse until finely chopped.
• Serve with crackers and/or vegetables.

Yield: 2 cups.

Nutritional Facts 1/4 cup (calculated without crackers and vegetables) equals 238 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 322 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.

Originally published as Sun-Dried Tomato Dip in Simple & Delicious
January/February 2009, p37

Zana October 25, 2012 10:31 AM

[B]Jalapeno and Tomato Relish [/B]

Metric Ingredient Imperial
50 ml olive oil 1/4 cup
750 ml onion, chopped 3 cup
3 garlic cloves, minced 3
25 ml jalapeno pepper, minced 2 tbsp
1.75 kg tomatoes, seeded & chopped 3 1/2 lb
90 ml red wine vinegar 6 tbsp
25 ml sugar 2 tbsp
50 ml fresh basil, chopped 1/4 cup

• Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
• Add onions and saute until softened, about 6 minutes.
• Add garlic and jalapeno peppers; saute about 4 minutes.
• Add tomatoes, vinegar and sugar.
• Cook until almost dry, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes.
• Stir in basil.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Cool.
• Cover and refrigerate.
• Serve with chicken, pork or fish.

Serves 24

Redbaron October 27, 2012 10:47 PM

Banana Pepper Catsup

Here is how I do it.

2 parts sweet yellow banana peppers
2 parts sweet yellow tomatoes or sweet ripe tomitillos
1 part crushed Pineapple
1 part mandarin oranges
1/2 part sweet onion
1/4 part sugar/honey or to taste
1 single green cayenne pepper per quart or to taste
fresh Tarragon to taste
fresh mint to taste
dash of cinnamon to taste

Use a blender on high to blend it smoothy consistency.
Slow cook the mixture several hours and reduce until it resembles a thick apple sauce.
Use a funnel to fill a catsup type bottle.
Cap and refrigerate.

There are very few sweet sauces I like, but this one works! Dipping chicken nuggets, glaze on a Thanksgiving ham, just like tomato catsup on any sandwich or hot dog, like Bar B Q sauce in baked beans or on the grill, in Chinese recipes instead of sweet n sour sauce. You name it.

brokenbar February 23, 2013 02:08 PM

Sun Dried Tomato Pesto

[B][U]SUN DRIED TOMATO PESTO[/U][/B]
[LIST][*]12 sun-dried tomato halves, (2 ounces) dry (not in oil)[*]2 cups boiling water[*]1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese (can sub parmigiana, romano)[*]2 teaspoons packed fresh oregano leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried[*]2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil[*]1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar[*]1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper[*]1/4 teaspoon salt[*]1 tsp prepared garlic (if using fresh, see below)[/LIST] [B]Preparation[/B]

[LIST=1][*]Slice the top quarter off each head of garlic, exposing the inner cloves. Wrap in foil and roast until soft, about 45 minutes. Open the foil packet and let stand until cool enough to handle.[*]Meanwhile, place sun-dried tomatoes in a medium bowl. Cover with boiling water and let soak until soft, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to a food processor or large blender. Add 6 tablespoons of the soaking liquid, cheese, oregano, oil, vinegar, red pepper and salt. Squeeze in the roasted garlic. Pulse a few times, then process until smooth, or to the desired consistency, scraping down the sides occasionally.[/LIST] IF USING WHOLE GARLIC
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Slice the top quarter off each head of garlic, exposing the inner cloves. Wrap in foil and roast until soft, about 45 minutes. Open the foil packet and let stand until cool enough to handle.

This pesto is GREAT on bruschetta

brokenbar March 9, 2014 06:16 PM

Sun Dried Tomato Pesto

Sun Dried Tomato Pesto

2 cups sun-dried tomatoes, drained (packed in oil)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaf
1/4 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
2 garlic cloves, crushed under a knife and peeled
fresh ground pepper, to taste

Process all the ingredients in a food processor fitted with the metal blade until the mixture forms a coarse paste.

(The pesto can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 1 month).

[FONT=&quot]This is EXCELLENT on Bruschetta or as a substitute for pizza sauce.[/FONT]

ABlindHog February 15, 2015 12:50 PM

Chili Sauce

I am looking for some old time Chili Sauce recipes. Chili Sauce was once a common home canned tomato sauce with many ethnic, regional, and individual family variations. Cook books from the late 1800's and early 1900's often have recipes that call for this sauce as an ingredient, but seldom have recipes for the sauce itself. I am particularly interested in old family recipes, or variations from Texas and it's German and Czech communities,

brokenbar February 15, 2015 06:31 PM

Hey Zana! I grow Aji Dulce and they use this pepper in Sofrito quite often!

Zana February 15, 2015 09:10 PM

Hi brokenbar!

I made some last summer and canned it. Just cracked open my last jar this morning...sighhhh. Going to have to make more Sofrito next year. I used Aji Dulce too....and I made a hotter version too with a mix of peppers up to habs...didn't want to overwhelm the flavours with too much heat.

Nematode July 29, 2016 11:30 AM

Not so original salsa fresca

DO NOT DISCARD THE EXCESS LIQUID.
There got that out of the way, this salsa will get very wet, the juice is as fine a beverage as you will ever taste. Put it in a shot glass and sip, or make some kind of martini.

The amounts on everything are whatever you want, its different every time.

Tomato, chopped. I usually try and have a couple types and colors, but the backbone is almost always sungold.
Red onion finely chopped
Garlic finely chopped/minced
Jalapeno or other hot pepper finely chopped adjust to your preferred heat level
Juice of lime, go a little heavy on the lime juice.
Splash very good olive oil. This adds a richness that is missing without it.
Salt
Cilantro optional.

Let it sit a while and the heat from the peppers will distribute, making a most pleasurable dish.

We have this with chips for summer supper.

I may have to liquify some and make a whole batch as juice......

Worth1 July 29, 2016 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=Nematode;582603]DO NOT DISCARD THE EXCESS LIQUID.
There got that out of the way, this salsa will get very wet, the juice is as fine a beverage as you will ever taste. Put it in a shot glass and sip, or make some kind of martini.

The amounts on everything are whatever you want, its different every time.

Tomato, chopped. I usually try and have a couple types and colors, but the backbone is almost always sungold.
Red onion finely chopped
Garlic finely chopped/minced
Jalapeno or other hot pepper finely chopped adjust to your preferred heat level
Juice of lime, go a little heavy on the lime juice.
Splash very good olive oil. This adds a richness that is missing without it.
Salt
Cilantro optional.

Let it sit a while and the heat from the peppers will distribute, making a most pleasurable dish.

We have this with chips for summer supper.

I may have to liquify some and make a whole batch as juice......[/QUOTE]

Looks good and a lot like some of the stuff we get here sometimes.
Not to take away from it if you get bored try a little cumin in it too but not to much.

Worth

Nematode July 29, 2016 01:39 PM

Sure i'll sprinkle some cumin in sounds good.
It's salsa and very much like the others, but that juice......
I think (not sure) that the oil helps the heat profile also, smooths it into a slow and steady with that nice glow around the lips.

Worth1 July 29, 2016 02:10 PM

In one of the Rockford Files episodes James Garner said that some cook he knew cooked with a clove of garlic in one hand and a spatula in the other.:lol:
I buy cumin by the pound and freeze it in pint jars.
It is one of the most underutilized spices on the market shelf.

Worth