Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Marsha's 2017-2018 Grow List (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45874)

clara September 15, 2017 02:46 PM

I'm also glad that you're okay!!! I was so happy to see a post made by you (in another thread) only one day ago!

ginger2778 September 15, 2017 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=clara;664864]I'm also glad that you're okay!!! I was so happy to see a post made by you (in another thread) only one day ago![/QUOTE]

Thank you my dear Clara, I am alive and well, mailbox is now up again, A.C. working well, back to almost normal. Many are still without power. Really suffering inthe 92F heat without even a fan.

ginger2778 September 15, 2017 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;664758]Maybe there should be a "KARMA Hurricane" in honor of your mostly unscathed endurance of the nasty Miss Irma.
Karen[/QUOTE]
I kinda like that!

[QUOTE=ChiliPeppa;664777]Glad you're OK :yes:[/QUOTE]Thank you.

[QUOTE=tryno12;664792]Glad you're OK - I second that!!:D[/QUOTE]Thank you.

efisakov October 9, 2017 11:23 AM

Marsha, thank you for the seeds of Danna’s Dusky Rose. I am growing one plant. It gave 22 tomatoes (not done yet). Two were more than 20 ounces each. Average weight is more than 11.5 ounces. I picked almost 15 pounds. Taste and look excellent.
Thank you. Love that plant.

ginger2778 October 9, 2017 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=efisakov;667438]Marsha, thank you for the seeds of Danna’s Dusky Rose. I am growing one plant. It gave 22 tomatoes (not done yet). Two were more than 20 ounces each. Average weight is more than 11.5 ounces. I picked almost 15 pounds. Taste and look excellent.
Thank you. Love that plant.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome Ella I love it too. I think it's amazing how you keep track of every tomato and how much it produces and what weight you got.

tryno12 October 9, 2017 08:51 PM

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Marsha, thank you for the seeds of Danna’s Dusky Rose. I am growing one plant. It gave 22 tomatoes (not done yet). Two were more than 20 ounces each. Average weight is more than 11.5 ounces. I picked almost 15 pounds. Taste and look excellent.
Thank you. Love that plant.[/COLOR]

I Second that almost exactly! Not quite the big ones but at least and a couple more plants that gave many and all yummy!
Thanks again Marsha

Pete

efisakov October 18, 2017 08:23 PM

Marsha, I am making my list already. :P
1) Captain Lucky
2)
3)
...it will continue...

Gardeneer October 18, 2017 10:05 PM

Another enabler trade.:))
But I won't be tempted. Maybe just GGWT and couple more. :twisted:
I Have planted rye grass in my tomato patch. It is getting real nice green.
It won't be til Feb to get started with germinating. But it is good to be thinking about spring.

ginger2778 October 19, 2017 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=efisakov;668384]Marsha, I am making my list already. :P
1) Captain Lucky
2)
3)
...it will continue...[/QUOTE]

Captain lucky is an excellent choice Ella. Come on keep going!

ginger2778 October 19, 2017 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;668401]Another enabler trade.:))
But I won't be tempted. Maybe just GGWT and couple more. :twisted:
I Have planted rye grass in my tomato patch. It is getting real nice green.
It won't be til Feb to get started with germinating. But it is good to be thinking about spring.[/QUOTE]

Well that's perfect! February start will work since my seat offer goes out in mid-January hahaha.:)

sirtanon October 19, 2017 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=ChiliPeppa;661167]WOW. So you are going 5 Karma's? I don't think I've heard of that one before.[/QUOTE]

If there's a variety named "Chameleon", she should grow that at the end of her row of Karma plants..

.. then she'll have Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Chameleon

:cute:

Oh, and while I'm at it... wow, now THAT is a list, Marsha. I'm jealous. How much space do you have to grow in that you can plant that. My list is tiny compared to yours.

ginger2778 October 19, 2017 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=sirtanon;668527]If there's a variety named "Chameleon", she should grow that at the end of her row of Karma plants..

.. then she'll have Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Chameleon

:cute:

Oh, and while I'm at it... wow, now THAT is a list, Marsha. I'm jealous. How much space do you have to grow in that you can plant that. My list is tiny compared to yours.[/QUOTE]

That is very clever! The KARMA project is worth a read. It's namedgir the 2 of us in the ptoject: KarenO (the breeder)+ Marsha= KARMA

Thanks for the compliment on the list I have 1/3 of an acre, and 47 Earthboxes, plus some 7 gallon pots will do the job. I am planting out this week.

efisakov October 20, 2017 07:31 AM

If I get it right, 101 plants. That is more than twice of what I do, Marsha.
A lot of work.

oakley October 20, 2017 08:03 AM

This time every year, yada yada, "lets just grow our favorite
baker's dozen next year". That should simplify labeling and
seed starting....until the new year rolls around and I sneak a
few more....a few more 4-5 bakers. :roll::lol:

ginger2778 October 20, 2017 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=efisakov;668548]If I get it right, 101 plants. That is more than twice of what I do, Marsha.
A lot of work.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I was just out spraying first thing this am, because it rained last night.

[QUOTE=oakley;668551]This time every year, yada yada, "lets just grow our favorite
few more....a few more 4-5 bakers. :roll::lol:[/QUOTE]
Funny how that work's, right?

tryno12 October 20, 2017 11:04 AM

What's a "Baker" ?

upcountrygirl October 20, 2017 11:52 AM

Lol...darn it! The more tomatoes y'all introduce me to the more I want to try! Definitely some unique names on this list....Bacon, Lettuce, and this F5, Blood Gulch, Couer de Surpriz, etc...

Labradors2 October 20, 2017 12:13 PM

A baker is somebody who bakes bread, buns, muffins, cakes etc. In the old days, when they would bake a dozen of something, they would make an extra one in case of accident, so the number 13 became known as a "baker's dozen" :)

Linda

sirtanon October 20, 2017 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;668556]

[QUOTE=oakley;668551]This time every year, yada yada, "lets just grow our favorite
few more....a few more 4-5 bakers. :roll::lol:[/QUOTE]

Funny how that work's, right?[/QUOTE]

LOL yeah.. with my limited space, I originally told myself "okay, only 3 or 4 varieties this year, but maybe 1 or 2 plants of each. Don't overdo it"

.. cut to lastnight, with me prepping seed for 10 varieties, and then once I realized I had 3 cells unused, grabbing an 11th.. Now my seed is pretty old, on average, but I'm pretty sure with the numbers I sowed, I'll have at least 2 or 3 plants come up per variety, on average. Somehow, I went from 5-7 plants to potentially 20-30. I think I'll be giving away a bunch of plants.. or at least I hope I will. :lol:

With over 300 varieties in my stash to choose from, it almost becomes paralyzing trying to figure out what to put in my very small list each season.

ginger2778 October 20, 2017 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=sirtanon;668595]LOL yeah.. with my limited space, I originally told myself "okay, only 3 or 4 varieties this year, but maybe 1 or 2 plants of each. Don't overdo it"

.. cut to lastnight, with me prepping seed for 10 varieties, and then once I realized I had 3 cells unused, grabbing an 11th.. Now my seed is pretty old, on average, but I'm pretty sure with the numbers I sowed, I'll have at least 2 or 3 plants come up per variety, on average. Somehow, I went from 5-7 plants to potentially 20-30. I think I'll be giving away a bunch of plants.. or at least I hope I will. :lol:

With over 300 varieties in my stash to choose from, it almost becomes paralyzing trying to figure out what to put in my very small list each season.[/QUOTE]

Only 300? Amateur! :P

sirtanon October 20, 2017 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;668607]Only 300? Amateur! :P[/QUOTE]

LOL yeah.. I know.. there's so many more out there.. but at some point, I had to tell myself that getting more and more would eventually become pointless, as I only have so much space to grow in, and can thus only grow so many of the varieties each year.. as it stands, my average seed age is somewhere around 10 years old..

Now, my wife and I are really hoping to be able to move at some point in the next 5 years or so, to a much larger plot of land in an area with a better growing climate. If/when this happens, I'm hoping to be able to grow more like 50 or more plants per year, instead of 7 or 8. If this works out, It would still take me 6 years to work through all the varieties I have. Granted, I'd most likely end up finding varieties I was no longer interested in growing, and just give those seeds away.. but I'd most likely still end up with over 200, and of course, probably collect even more varieties in the meantime.

In a perfect world, I would be able to grow out each and every variety every year.. :twisted:

tryno12 October 21, 2017 12:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
see, i thought that a "baker" was what i do with them(like 400+#'s so far) see attached pic i bake 'em then eat 1/2 juice 1/2 and after 3 days what is left in fridge freeze repeat!:lol:

Pete

ginger2778 October 21, 2017 06:04 AM

Wow Pete!

tryno12 October 21, 2017 10:41 AM

Thank You Marsha, most are due to your seeds! Probably have cooked 400#'s or more so far this year. The mix of all the varieties makes for superb flavor!!

jmsieglaff October 25, 2017 08:08 AM

How's the 2017-18 season starting out for you Marsha?

efisakov December 27, 2017 08:02 AM

Marsha, are there any pictures?
What is Not Chocolate Stripes looks like?

MdTNGrdner December 27, 2017 08:44 AM

Hi Ella, I hope this link works but if not, just go to the Photo Gallery section and look for "Marsha's 2017/18 Photo Thread". There's a lot of great stuff there!

I can't wait to read her taste and production notes! ;)

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46022[/url]