Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Potatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Your favorite place to buy seed potatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5333)

robin303 January 30, 2008 12:54 PM

Thanks kktwahoo.

kktwahoo February 8, 2008 08:44 PM

Clarence,

What varieties do you grow up there, and how do you store them? We have a cool room in the basement, but not a root cellar, yet.

Thanks!

shelleybean February 14, 2008 03:27 PM

So has anybody received their on line order from potatogarden/milk ranch/ronnigers yet this year? Mine is due here in a couple of weeks. :wait:

kktwahoo February 25, 2008 06:55 PM

Michele,

I faxed my order today to White Mountain Farm, Mosca, Colorado. Have to get a call back to know how much to send for them, but hope they are here in three weeks, or so.

shelleybean March 10, 2008 04:36 PM

My order from Milk Ranch/potatogarden.com arrived today. It had been mentioned that there were some problems with their old web site but I think it must be cleared up now. My SIL also received her seed potatoes and she ordered on line, as well. :)

OmahaJB March 29, 2008 11:25 AM

Your favorite place to buy seed potatoes

Just couldn't resist giving potatoes a try. The low cost of each variety at Ronniger's was too tempting. The shipping was more expensive than what I paid for 3 varieties, but I expected that. So the cost including shipping was a little less than $6/variety - 1 lb. each. Not bad for my needs.

Carola, German Butterball & La Ratte were the 3 I selected. Fortunately, they weren't sold out yet, as some have been.

BTW, thanks for the updates....

Jeff

shelleybean March 29, 2008 02:33 PM

I also ordered from Wood Prairie Farm and those came right away. Not as cheap as Ronniger's/Milk Ranch/potatogarden though.

OmahaJB May 1, 2008 05:35 PM

Your favorite place to buy seed potatoes

What do you know, I received my seed taters from Ronnigers. Picked them up from UPS today at lunch.
Just to show how little I know about this, I wasn't sure whether to expect small potatoes or 2 oz. slices with a couple eyes in each slice. I was leaning towards believing I'd receive the latter. So I was a little surprised when I saw they were small potatoes.

What I need to find out now: These don't have eyes growing out yet. Do I need to wait to plant them until they start growing? I'm guessing they'll start fine if I plant them like they are but I want to make sure before I waste any. I know I need to get started right away to get anything of decent size before it gets cold next Sep/Oct.

Anxious to get started. I'll probably plant them in 5 & 10 lb. grow bags. Maybe two to a bag, at least in the larger bags.

Jeff

feldon30 May 1, 2008 09:10 PM

You don't HAVE to wait for eyes, but I think it's best. For one thing, it helps to know which side to point upwards. :)

Hope you have a fantastic crop.

OmahaJB May 2, 2008 04:29 PM

Yor favorite place to buy seed potatoes

Thanks Feldon,

Guess it wouldn't hurt to wait another few days. I should still have time to start these and get decent sized potatoes. Originally I was only going to grow a couple of each variety but now that I have them I think I'll plant virtually every seed potato. Should end up with a decent crop even if each seed tater doesn't max out it's potential.