Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Zinnias (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48619)

DapsSeeds March 28, 2019 07:00 AM

I'm growing California Giants I got in a simple ziplock bag. So no instructions. Of course I can google them but then I found this thread. ��

SpookyShoe March 28, 2019 04:27 PM

Good luck with your California Giants. I'm not growing any that are as tall as yours will be.

GoDawgs April 5, 2019 05:19 PM

I'm going to be a bit late getting mine going as there will soon be no room on the light shelves until the peppers go out to harden. :shock:

PlainJane April 5, 2019 08:14 PM

Woohoo mine are up! I’m too slow for all the hungry monarchs though.

SpookyShoe April 5, 2019 08:43 PM

Sowing zinnias outside

[QUOTE=GoDawgs;731575]I'm going to be a bit late getting mine going as there will soon be no room on the light shelves until the peppers go out to harden. :shock:[/QUOTE]

Can't you just start them in cell packs or whatever individual little plastic pots and just leave them outside? I seeded numerous large pots with zinnias seeds and left mine outside. All of the seeds have sprouted by now.. I'm not transplanting the seedlings... they will be growing to maturity in the pots. Surely it must be warm enough where you live by now. Or is it?

GrowingCoastal April 6, 2019 10:25 PM

One year I grew some tall zinnias I bought at a nursery. As the flowers matured their colours changed and the back sides of the petals developed a green colour. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Name?

GoDawgs April 7, 2019 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=SpookyShoe;731598]Can't you just start them in cell packs or whatever individual little plastic pots and just leave them outside? I seeded numerous large pots with zinnias seeds and left mine outside. All of the seeds have sprouted by now.. I'm not transplanting the seedlings... they will be growing to maturity in the pots. Surely it must be warm enough where you live by now. Or is it?[/QUOTE]

They get transplanted to a bed alongside the garden. Just a 3x8' bed. And there was one large pot (nursery container) that had zinnias in it up by the house with the tomatoes. I guess I probably could start them inside and then set the packs out on the porch to grow off.

This week we'll have 80's but April beings cold snaps too. I don't like to set summer stuff out in the garden before the end of April because there will always be one more frost. That means the hassle of covering up a lot of stuff for a night or two and, just call me lazy, I just don't want to mess with that. :lol:

SpookyShoe April 7, 2019 10:18 AM

Well, you would know your weather a lot better than I do. LOL.

RJGlew April 7, 2019 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=PhilaGardener;725525]Yes, very nice! We have powdery mildew problems here in the late summer - those leaves look great![/QUOTE]

I now only grow Zahara & Profusion since they are mildew proof - and `proof' is the correct word. Parks has a nice selection of both series, but they are pricey. Zahara series are USA, and Profusion are Japan. Profusion Double Hot Cherry is a real star - really vivid colour and limited fading.

SpookyShoe April 7, 2019 05:05 PM

Profusion double Zinnia Hot Cherry

1 Attachment(s)
This is after a torrential rain today so they are drooping quite a bit.

PlainJane April 7, 2019 07:41 PM

Really nice, Spooky!
- Joyce

SpookyShoe April 7, 2019 07:59 PM

Thanks!

GoDawgs April 7, 2019 08:39 PM

Just gorgeous! And "hot" is the operative word. :yes:

How tall do those get?

SpookyShoe April 7, 2019 09:27 PM

They're supposed to get about a foot tall, but mine don't even get that tall.

GoDawgs April 8, 2019 09:15 AM

Spooky, I got to thinking about what you said and I've decided to just go ahead and start those zinnias this week. We just might be in for an early spring even though there will be one more small cold spell sometime before the end of the month. Thanks!