Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Preserving Your Harvest (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Fermenting. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38997)

Rajun Gardener January 2, 2017 04:36 PM

Sourkraut is easy to start with but it's all easy, find a recipe in the book and start playing.

Worth1 January 2, 2017 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=MikeInCypress;608250]What do you think of this "kit"?
n this kit you get 2 complete fermenting systems, which contain the following:

• 2 ClearView AirLocks

• 2 Wide-mouth fermenting lids

• 2 NoSpill fermenting gaskets

• 2 Wide-mouth storage lids

• 2 storage gaskets

• 1/4 pound salt

• Recipe book, The Mastery of Brine Pickling

• Clear, simple instructions.
MikeInCypress[/QUOTE]

Works for me if it isn't too expensive.

worth

MikeInCypress January 2, 2017 10:52 PM

$29.95 delivered.

MikeInCypress

Worth1 January 3, 2017 06:05 AM

Should be enough to get you addicted.:twisted:

Worth

Worth1 January 4, 2017 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=velikipop;605028]The are doing well in a small jar. There is a lot of fermentation going on and I will move them to the fridge in a day or so. Every time I open the lid to let the gas out the smell of garlic comes pouring out.[/QUOTE]

Any news on the garlic?:D

Worth

velikipop January 5, 2017 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;608673]Any news on the garlic?:D

Worth[/QUOTE]

The garlic is doing great. I let it settle down as you suggested and when it did I put it in the fridge. It tastes surprisingly good..the tang and the spiciness work well. I also did a batch of kimchi in a Mortier Pilon fermenter that my wife gave me for Christmas. It came out just as good as that that I buy at the Korean supermarket. It only took four days to complete.

Worth1 January 5, 2017 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=velikipop;608910]The garlic is doing great. I let it settle down as you suggested and when it did I put it in the fridge. It tastes surprisingly good..the tang and the spiciness work well. I also did a batch of kimchi in a Mortier Pilon fermenter that my wife gave me for Christmas. It came out just as good as that that I buy at the Korean supermarket. It only took four days to complete.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear the great news, It is good isn't it.:yes:
I think it is the BEST way to store garlic.

Worth1 January 8, 2017 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Keeping the thread alive.
I had a head of cabbage and some carrots left over.
I still have sauerkraut but what to do.
Decided to make more.
It is in a food grade 18/10 stainless container and the stones just happened to fit perfectly.
I mean just look at those puppies.
This batch no measuring just three handfuls of salt and some dill seeds.
I won't even bother putting it in jars I will just dip what I want out of it.
That is the plan anyway. :lol:
We shall see.
Worth
[ATTACH]68583[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68584[/ATTACH]

charley January 23, 2017 11:16 PM

Hook line and sinker

1 Attachment(s)
Ok im in i had a bunch of jalapenos left over and some garlic some celery seed Mustard Seed and pickling spices two teaspoons of kosher salt

charley January 23, 2017 11:19 PM

Hey just a idea when I'm canning My Salsa you need some acidic to keep it from going bad why couldn't you just add some jalapenos from this and maybe a little bit of the brine and that would be enough to keep your salsa from going bad. How about fermenting Tomatoes has anybody done that

charley January 24, 2017 12:28 AM

i just read you can use fido jars and bend the metal clamps a little so if you put watter in them and turn up side down no watter comes out but if you pull on it watter will drip out.then when you use them you dont need to burp them the co2 pressure can escape but no air can get in

salix January 24, 2017 02:52 AM

Charley, I have fermented cherry tomatoes with a bit of garlic and oregano - used a bit of kefir whey to get it started. Delicious! Next year will try some with basil...

Worth1 January 24, 2017 05:50 AM

[QUOTE=charley;613168]Hey just a idea when I'm canning My Salsa you need some acidic to keep it from going bad why couldn't you just add some jalapenos from this and maybe a little bit of the brine and that would be enough to keep your salsa from going bad. How about fermenting Tomatoes has anybody done that[/QUOTE]

One problem with that if you dont have a lab or a way to check acidity you have no idea what you have for sure.
This is why I use citric acid powder making most salsas aka sauces.
But I make it as I use it and dont really can it per say.
One thing is this stuff has to ferment for a while not just a few days or a week.
I do use my fermented peppers to make salsa.
Far better than the vinegar peppers you get in the store.
You will see.
Use them but dont be afraid to use that citric acid when canning.
The other is go to the store and get some habanero peppers and ferment them.
Just leave them in the jar for a month or more even two months.

Worth

Worth1 January 24, 2017 06:08 AM

There is a smell and taste you are looking for I cant explain it but you will know it when you see it.
This is why my first time around I didn't use spices I wanted to taste and smell that smell.
The last small batch of kraut I made I had to toss.
It smelled like disinfectant because it got contaminated with disinfectant.:roll:
Worth

charley January 24, 2017 08:45 AM

i bought a jar of claussen pickles i think they are ferminted because i forgot to put them in the fridge and put them in the pantry never opened .they became cloudy and the top of the jar is puffed up like presure so i put them in the fridge are they safe to eat