Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Containers Growing ? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47209)

AlittleSalt May 14, 2019 12:16 AM

Today was a clear day. I got to see how much sun the plants get now that the trees are full of leaves. The one plant that I thought wouldn't get enough sun - doesn't, so I'll move it tomorrow. It's no surprise to me. It's in a 5 gallon bucket and an easy to move size.

I did something different today. I'll post it on the General thread and share the link here. [URL]http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=735304#post735304[/URL]

AlittleSalt May 22, 2019 11:33 AM

It has quit raining daily. I've been using the 4-18-38... watering/feeding method and the plants are looking perky. I will share some pictures soon.

Tomzhawaii May 22, 2019 12:08 PM

Progress not perfection

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;736148]It has quit raining daily. I've been using the 4-18-38... watering/feeding method and the plants are looking perky. I will share some pictures soon.[/QUOTE]

Aloha sir,
I'm glad to see the rain moved on. The challenges will keep us on ours toes sometimes. I keep telling myself that success comes in baby steps.
I changed nutrients this spring. Now I am learning all over again. I can say the lettuce, cabbage and mustard greens are doing very good in the rail system. I've always had issues with my cucumbers peetering out about halfway through. So this time I planted the whole package in one container. My reasoning was that maybe a few would make it. Well they all germinated and are growing like weeds. I wish I could say the same about my tomatoes. 1 Big Cheef and 2 Everglades came out like gangbusters and are now looking like they are "nutrient lockout". Again, babysteps for me.
I do happen to have 1 Mat Su Express and 1 Tennessee Suited doing well as seedlings. Fingers crossed on those. Green Peppers still kicking too.
Aloha for now & keep on pluggin along,
Tom

AlittleSalt May 23, 2019 01:35 AM

Aloha Tom, I thought about this all day, and I agree completely. Baby steps, and sometimes we push on to dinosaur sized steps all in hopes that we get it right.

I thought I had tomato growing in buckets of pro mix sort of understood, but I really didn't. The 4-18-38 - 15.5-0-0 -Epsom Salt is a hydro type thing. I guess, maybe? Who knows? All I do know is the tomato plants look good, and some have small cherry tomatoes on them already. I'm learning.

I did take some dinosaur sized steps this year. I planted peppers in the same pro mix/MG type mix in the containers. Pepper plants and tomato plants need a different amount of water. Pepper plants needing much less water. I have given the tomato plants 4-18-38 - 15.5-0-0 -Epsom Salt for about a week now that the daily rains stopped. I water/feed them with 3/4 gallon of water each day. The pepper plants have gotten a half gallon of water, but by the mix feel - they need a break from the watering/feeding. We have picked peppers 3 times already. So far, the dinosaur steps have worked out. (Comparison: pepper plants do not produce in soil here in May)

AlittleSalt May 27, 2019 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3 weeks later after post #454

Worth1 May 27, 2019 03:38 PM

Looks fantastic.:D:D:yes:

Tomzhawaii May 27, 2019 05:01 PM

Well done !!!

[QUOTE=Worth1;736621]Looks fantastic.:D:D:yes:[/QUOTE]

Aloha Salt,
Your thoughts and planning are about to pay dividends. Go big or stay on the porch. Haha
Tom

AlittleSalt May 27, 2019 06:05 PM

Thank you both :)

LK2016 May 27, 2019 06:10 PM

Wow! Love the set up with the T-posts and the tomato cages. Did you say what type of cages they are? Did you make them yourself from fencing? That is a lot of work right there. Looks fantastic!

AlittleSalt May 27, 2019 06:23 PM

Thank you :)

Yes, I made them with 2x4 field fencing. They are 6 foot tall from the top of the buckets to the top of the cages. The reason for 2 T posts each cage is that the fencing roll is only 4 foot tall. I will need to cut some holes in it to get to the tomatoes easier.

LK2016 May 27, 2019 06:28 PM

Thanks for the info. It looks great, and the plants look very happy right now.

SpookyShoe May 28, 2019 05:06 PM

Your plants look great, Salt. I assume the reason for the containers is nematodes/soil disease. I may do all grow bags/containers next year because each year it's a race for my plants to produce fruit before succumbing to nematodes and fungus. I tried out grow bags this year on two of my plants and they are a lot healthier looking than the plants in the ground. My in-ground plants never seem to have robust root systems.

whistech May 28, 2019 10:01 PM

Looks great Robert! Whatever you are doing, keep it up.

AlittleSalt May 28, 2019 10:40 PM

Thank you again :)

It's RKN and Fusarium Wilt 3 is why I'm growing in containers.

clkeiper May 29, 2019 08:08 AM

those look fantastic Robert. well done.