Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Very early determinante tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39160)

MrBig46 March 17, 2016 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gardeneer,
In the Czech language is called cold hotbed. English translation is not like me, so I wrote a wood frame.

I never cloned determinant tomato. Yesterday I cut up a tomato 0-33 and clones planted. I wonder how plants from these clones will evolve (leaves - inflorescence).
Vladimír

MrBig46 March 21, 2016 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I began to harden tomatoes 0-33. In the morning I put it on the balcony when there is 9-10 ° C. To the apartment returning late at night when the temperature drops to 6 ° C.
Vladimír
PS.: have trouble re-sizing photos, I need a simple program. The problem is that I'm still just Windows XP, which is not supported. I deal with it with my son, who has not still time.

Labradors2 March 21, 2016 02:26 PM

Hi Mr. Big,

Concerning re-sizing of pictures, I use a free website called Picture Monkey to edit my pictures: [URL]http://www.picmonkey.com/[/URL]

Linda

KarenO March 21, 2016 02:26 PM

nice to see the pretty frseh green. It's snowing here today :) good luck with your project and looking forward to the results
KarenO

Gardeneer March 21, 2016 05:50 PM

I have a good candidate for Early determinant : [B]SILVERY FIR TREE. [/B]

Gardeneer

MrBig46 March 23, 2016 02:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A garden waits for the first tomato seedling 0-33. It will be this week?

My son iostaloval old version of IrfanView. I'm satisfied.
Vladimír

bower March 23, 2016 06:27 AM

Interesting approach, with the mulch over two raised beds and a trench in the center. I would never have thought of it, but it looks optimal to get moisture to the plants and also warm the sides of the beds and the root zone. :)8-)

Andrey_BY March 23, 2016 07:11 AM

Great job, Vladimir!
Watching your photoes I feel like I'm living in Alaska with all this snow and cold weather here::D

Good luck!

MrBig46 March 24, 2016 02:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Two seedlings 0-33 looked like this after last night when the temperature dropped to - 1 ° C. Tonight was warmer (+ 3 ° C), but the next two nights should be still frosty below 0 ° C.
Vladimír

MrBig46 March 24, 2016 02:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=bower;544729]Interesting approach, with the mulch over two raised beds and a trench in the center. I would never have thought of it, but it looks optimal to get moisture to the plants and also warm the sides of the beds and the root zone. :)8-)[/QUOTE]

These grooves are there to facilitate and accelerate watering. I used to grooves with wood shavings mulch, this year I'll be the first to use black cloth, through which water seeps in.
Vladimír

bower March 24, 2016 09:36 AM

Very nice! Very impressed with the O-33 seedlings as well.:D I have some seeds of this one, and I will start them this weekend I hope.

slugworth March 26, 2016 10:48 PM

silvery fir tree was the 1st determinate type I ever cloned and it worked out well.
2 oz to 6 oz sizes

MrBig46 March 27, 2016 01:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Evaluation of experiment with growing seedlings 0-33 in cold conditions.
Seedlings were on the balcony 80 hours, temperatures were as vidětt the graph. Two days afternoon was sunny and the temperature on the south balcony was increased to 18 ° C, alternatively at 16 ° C. Seedlings withstand low temperature (- 2 ° C), but could not withstand the permanent cool below 12 ° C and began to dry for. It's me, sorry.
Vladimír

RJGlew March 27, 2016 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;546070]Evaluation of experiment with growing seedlings 0-33 in cold conditions.[/QUOTE]

Hi Vlad, thank you for sharing. Since in the pictures it appears the growing tip has NOT been frosted, would you consider this evidence of a level of tolerance?

bower March 27, 2016 04:05 PM

Very interesting. I've seen damage like this on some plants about the same age but newly transplanted into larger pots, when just a cold night followed by a daytime high only 10 C, so maybe 30 hours in that case.

But almost every year, we have about 80 hours in that temperature range - especially with days only close to 10 C and colder nights for three days in a row, usually in late may. I had a lot of varieties that tolerated the 80 hours or so with no damage. The difference, they were older plants. And they were already established in bigger containers, where the soil may have warmed already.

And of course, frost tolerance for a few hours is not the same thing as tolerating constantly low temperatures for three days or more. :no: I think they are separate traits.

MrBig46 March 28, 2016 11:18 AM

Robert,
Seedlings I gave home behind the window, because the next day would certainly did not withstand - they dry out.

Bower,
Bower, you're right. The temperature of the substrate in these small cups followed the air temperature, so it was well below 10 ° C. The roots can not absorb water, so plants began to dry. Something else is at the plants in a bed. Soil temperature does not respond so fast on decrease of the temperature. Black foil should also help to.

Tomorrow is D-day for tomato seedlings 0-33. Four seedlings I will give into the cold frame, two into the foil tunnel and two into the open bed. I will add photos.
Vladimír

Gardeneer March 28, 2016 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I planted few SILVERY FIR TREE on Feb. 3. Yesterday I saw one flower on it. (Day 53 ) another 4o days it can have a ripe tomato. That is about 93 days from sowing seeds.

Andrey_BY March 28, 2016 03:28 PM

@Gardener
Usually they even faster to set the first fruit in 80-85 days after germination. I mean varieties with carrot-like foliage like SFR and Morkovnyi. And the taste is exceptionaly acid the way I like.

@RJGlew
I don't know how in Czech Republic, but Vlad is actually a different name in Russia and CIS:) We usually call Volodya all Vladimirs in a friendly manner or when you want to say something about a man you know quite good:) Volodya Putin, for a example:D

And Vlad is short and friendly name of Vladislav:)

But only MrBig46 has to choose:D

Fusion_power March 28, 2016 08:21 PM

Silvery Fir Tree is highly attractive to thrips and it is very susceptible to Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus. Other than that, it fits the traits requested. I would grow Sub Arctic Plenty, Jagodka, and O-33 as preferred early varieties.

Gardeneer March 28, 2016 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;546493]Silvery Fir Tree is highly attractive to thrips and it is very susceptible to Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus. Other than that, it fits the traits requested. I would grow Sub Arctic Plenty, Jagodka, and O-33 as preferred early varieties.[/QUOTE]

Fortunately we don't have any of those around here.
And I plant them in pot/ soil less mix.
And I like tangy juicy tomatoes. Why add vinegar to your salad. :cute:

Gardeneer

RJGlew March 28, 2016 11:01 PM

[QUOTE=Andrey_BY;546417]
I don't know how in Czech Republic, but Vlad is actually a different name in Russia and CIS:) We usually call Volodya all Vladimirs in a friendly manner or when you want to say something about a man you know quite good:) Volodya Putin, for a example:D

And Vlad is short and friendly name of Vladislav:)

But only MrBig46 has to choose:D[/QUOTE]

Thanks Andrey, I was not aware of this and I appreciate you helping me better understand. I have known a number of Hungarian Vladamirs here, and we always abbreviated their name to Vlad, likely incorrectly, but they were too polite to tell us... We'll let MrBig46 advise us so I can be correct going forward.

Andrey, while I have your attention, what are your current thoughts on the early tomato `Max,' the improved Moskvich?

Andrey_BY March 29, 2016 01:33 AM

[QUOTE=RJGlew;546539] Andrey, while I have your attention, what are your current thoughts on the early tomato `Max,' the improved Moskvich?[/QUOTE]

Both Moskvich and Max are intended for growing outside.
Vavilov Institute (IOGEN, Moscow) developed Moskvich in early 1970s when more and more Soviet people has become gardeners on their own dachas, but usually got no greehhouses.
Moskvich grows as a compact plant with h30-50cm, early and cold tolerant. Red round fruit are 50-80 g with quite good flavor for a such early variety. You will got larger fruit after pruning.
Tatyana's description is a bit different to compare with original strain from Russia. It is not indet nor has got some kind of blunt heart fruit.
Also Moskovich is the same as Moskvich. Just a wrong spelled name.
[IMG]http://grassia.ru/i/467.jpg[/IMG]

Max was bred in the middle of 1990s as an Improved Moskvich.
With almost the same days to maturity or a week later usually it bears you a bit taller plant (h50-60cm) and larger flattened-round fruit in 100-120 g league.
[IMG]http://danilovkrug.narod.ru/maks_3.jpg[/IMG]
Flavor is equal:) But Max fruit is more meaty and a plant is more prolific - up to 2 kg from 1 plant.
So Max is a good reliable early variety with larger fruits.

Andrey_BY March 29, 2016 02:01 AM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;546493]Silvery Fir Tree is highly attractive to thrips and it is very susceptible to Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus. Other than that, it fits the traits requested. I would grow Sub Arctic Plenty, Jagodka, and O-33 as preferred early varieties.[/QUOTE]

Never got such problems with it.
At least with Marigolds growing nearby...:D

MrBig46 March 31, 2016 12:43 AM

Friends call me Vlaďo or Laďo. You do not write probably it on ylour computers. Friends from Slovakia call me Vlado. That could be shortened Vladimír.

On Tuesday, I planted eight tomato seedlings 0-33. Soil temperature in the wells was 13 ° C. Weather forecast for the next nine days is good (I use Norwegian web [url]www.yr.no[/url]). Other seedlings 0-33 I'll plant till Monday.

I also harden others determinate varieties- Saraev Gruntovyi, Saraev Druzhnyi, Saraev Otbor 1, Saraev Stoiky, Saraev Shtambovyi, I-2, M-22, 42 days, Latah, Jagodka, Darinka F1. So far, I'm waiting for planting.
Vlado

Gardeneer March 31, 2016 12:59 AM

[B]Vlado[/B], Happy Plant Out !
I also took my plants outside on Tuesday. But have not planted them yet, I am hardening them off (acclimating). Once they get used to sun, winds and cool weather I will start putting them in the ground or in pots.
I checked my soil temperature the other day it was 47F ( = 8 C). Not as warm as I would have liked but it is getting warmer every day.

Gardeneer

MrBig46 April 3, 2016 11:49 AM

Saturday morning of completely tested the resistance of tomatoes to freeze 0-33. Outside it was completely white, wind 25 km / h, 85% humidity, the temperature -2 ° C. I have lost 15 plants, all frozen. All in foil tunnel also frozen. In the cold frame are still tomatoesall right. Weather outlook is positive, and sometimes during the week I will plant next seedlings.
With resistance 0-33 to frost will not count in the future also because high humidity. Only glass or polycarbonate can prevent heat radiation to the atmosphere at night.
Vladimír

Andrey_BY April 3, 2016 01:48 PM

Vladimir,
as you probably know you will get lower temperature in low soil places when humidity is so high as in Easter Europe in spring. So your -2 C on TV weather forecast is actual -5 C or even less at your soil level.
Cold tolerant tomato varieties are for several degrees less than 0 C... I'm really sorry about 0-33...

Cole_Robbie April 3, 2016 03:25 PM

My early winners in my unheated greenhouse, which drops to near-freezing, are (I think all these are determinate):

Aura
Adria
Ina
Sol Gold
Cole
tumbling cherries - Whippersnapper, Anmore Treasures, Anmore Dew Drops

Productive from Altai, which is indeterminate I think, is also doing very well, as are my De Barao varieties.

My microdwarfs seem to have taken the cold the worst. They are all sick-looking.

MrBig46 April 12, 2016 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, meteorologists measure temperature in two meters above ground. Because I am not able to predict the weather by myself, I use data from meteorologists and according to this deal with the cultivation. How much was the temperature in the ground below 0 ° C, not intersted me.
I did not test what frost withstand tomato 0-33. Only surprised me that frost destroyed all tomatoes 0-33 in foil tunnel but did not destroy one another tomato with potato leaves. To this day this tomato has not grown, but it is alive.
Vladimír

Cole_Robbie April 12, 2016 11:31 AM

I have a lot of plants that look exactly like that one. Mine are cold-abused, too.

Oh, and I mis-spoke earlier. Productive from Altai is actually determinate.