Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   More Free Gardening Software (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=12586)

ContainerTed December 15, 2009 02:45 PM

DD is correct. If you're seeing that many files, you haven't "INSTALLED" the software. You MUST run the setup program which is among those 56 files and has an extension of ".EXE". All of the files that have the underscore (_) as the last character in the file extension are compressed files that must be uncompressed by the SETUP program during installation.

Ted

yotetrapper December 15, 2009 03:42 PM

I see where the confusion here is though. I did indeed install it, but I can still go into the original folder created by the original download that shows the files before extraction. I think this may be what Earl is doing, as it is what I did first as well....

So let's see if we can talk Earl through this.

When you installed the program, Earl, it informed you it was going to install it into C:\Seedsntrade unless you changed directories. Did you change where it installed to? If not, it should be in its own file on your C drive.

So to find it, go to start, then my computer, then local disk {c} and you should see a pretty little icon for SeedsnTrades. Dont click on this, but instead, look at the other not so pretty icons around it. If it installed the same way mine did, the file listed before the SeedsnTrade icon will say release notes, the one before that will be readme, and the one before that will say Myseeds. Right click on the one that says myseeds, then click properties, then look down at file type and it should say MDB.

Try this Earl, and let me know if it works.

roper2008 December 17, 2009 09:33 PM

Hi Ted. It's me again. I'm making progress adding my tomato
varieties. I add a little every day. I discovered the problem I had.
I would enter all my info and then click Add Variety. At that point
I would get the 3426 error. Now I click on Add Variety first, then
add all my info. Then click Save. So far, so good. I also ,at one
point got an error message that there was to much data inputted,
forgot what number that error was. I changed Tomato Growers
Supply to TGS and that worked...F.Y.I

durable_now December 21, 2009 11:30 AM

I don't understsnd what is supposed to happen swhen I use the make list
I click on planting list create a text file then finish & nothibg happens.Can you please explain how this works ?
Thanks

yotetrapper December 21, 2009 01:10 PM

Ah-ha, you had me curious, durable, so I tried it, and you click finish, and nothing happens....then you need to go into wherever you have the program installed, C drive, if you didnt change it, and look at the files around the icon for the program, one of them will be labeled "planting list" or "trading list". Open it up, and there's your list.

ContainerTed December 21, 2009 03:15 PM

Just like yotetrapper has posted. The file is created and placed in the same directory that contains the rest of the program you selected and installed.

And while you're there, print out a copy of the "Readme.txt" file. It explains how the program works. The lists can be sent directly to your printer for immediate printing, OR they can be sent to make a text file which you can edit, or print later, or attach to an Email for trading or whatever.

Ted

durable_now December 22, 2009 08:59 AM

OK that works for me BUT I have a trade list & planting list & they are the same thing both have trade info and once opened the planting list has a hedding of trade list.Is this normal or is there something elsa I should do.
Thanks for help

ContainerTed February 19, 2010 07:59 AM

I'm bumping this to the top for new members to see.

Ted

stevenkh1 February 21, 2010 09:32 PM

THANK YOU, TED!!!

Seedbox is PERFECT for what I need! I've been keeping my seed varieties/descriptions/images in Word and Word has proven too clunky.

Thank you again!

Steve

Idahowoman January 27, 2011 06:42 PM

This is a wonderful program.
Thank you Ted

lurley February 5, 2011 12:21 PM

Bumping this to the top for newer member like me. Thank you soooo much Ted! I have been asking DH ( a computer guy) to make something like this for me for YEARS!!! Love it, love it, love it!:yes:

ContainerTed August 15, 2012 02:11 PM

Bumping this up.

nicky August 15, 2012 04:00 PM

Yes! I downloaded this a year ago & love it (:
Thank you Ted!

ContainerTed August 15, 2012 04:44 PM

A quick note, it has worked on all versions of windows from 3.1 to 7. It was designed to work on all these versions to make sure that the maximum number of folks could use it, regardless of the version.

Unfortunately, MAC users have not been as successful.

Enjoy it, I will be available here to help with any install problems.

LDx4 August 15, 2012 06:40 PM

Ted,

Thanks for this database! I downloaded Seedbox onto my Windows 7 machine and it works perfectly. A friend of mine had offered a while back to create a database for me in Access, but you've already done it. It looks great!
Lyn

JamesL August 15, 2012 08:14 PM

Thanks Ted! Downloaded and installed as well.

ginger2778 August 17, 2012 09:43 PM

Just downloaded seedsntrades. Never knew about it till now. Thanks Ted, much appreciated.
-Marsha

zeroma October 21, 2012 10:42 AM

Thanks for bumping this thread! I've been doing my best at making my own and it is all over the place! I will give it a try.

tuk50 November 4, 2012 06:34 AM

Ted, I've got it installed and working well on win7... I still can't read the readme file.. its a page of code.. how do I translate it? thanks
When I try to save as... it won't give me access to it.

ContainerTed November 4, 2012 08:50 AM

[QUOTE=tuk50;309220]Ted, I've got it installed and working well on win7... I still can't read the readme file.. its a page of code.. how do I translate it? thanks
When I try to save as... it won't give me access to it.[/QUOTE]

Use "notepad" to open it. It is a simple ascii text file.

tuk50 November 4, 2012 10:02 AM

thanks, great little database ... that is very useful for me.. appreciate all the work.
I tried it a couple years ago and couldn't get it to work, but I have win7 on laptop and desk now and it works well on both...:yes:

tuk50 November 7, 2012 11:51 AM

Ted, sorry to bother you again... I put my tomatoes into the database and everything works extremely well, but when I tried to generate a planting list, print etc. .. it does nothing.. am I missing something or missing a file that drives this feature...
it shows the tomato picture screen with the icons and they look like they click when I press them but nothing .. I did check some for planting list and some for trading list, so there should be data there.

ContainerTed November 7, 2012 03:05 PM

Tuk, if you selected "Crreate a file", it creates a file and places it in the directory that was created during installation. If you selected "printer", it will send the info to your default printer. To open a file placed in your installation directory, open your "Notepad" (or equivalent), browse enough to find your file (it's in the installation directory), select it (double click it or click it and press <Enter>), and there you go.

The software does not send these files to your monitor.

Also, each time you create a file, it erases the previous one of the same name.

tuk50 November 7, 2012 04:18 PM

Thanks a bunch... I understand it better now..
I'll try it later tonight...

rainwolf January 14, 2014 10:57 PM

Thank you! will download as soon as I get approved :)

rainwolf January 15, 2014 11:25 PM

For some reason I still can not download these files. Can anyone help me?

meadowyck January 15, 2014 11:38 PM

What type of file ext does it have?

rainwolf January 16, 2014 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=meadowyck;387239]What type of file ext does it have?[/QUOTE]

The zip files in the first post of the thread....

rainwolf January 16, 2014 04:00 PM

and of course now the download works lol...

meadowyck January 16, 2014 10:17 PM

well, I've tried to download them but they aren't in a file format that I can open. Oh well. They really sounded interesting.