Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Morning Glories (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48776)

PlainJane April 30, 2019 07:15 PM

Now that’s a pile o’morning glories!

ddsack May 1, 2019 10:48 AM

Beautiful! And please post more updates on your basket 'glories too! I will be starting my seed in cups soon. Too cold a spring to put them in the ground yet.

SpookyShoe May 3, 2019 03:35 PM

Basket update

1 Attachment(s)
This one hasn't bloomed yet. I planted it later than I did my Grandpa Otts in the hanging baskets. I'm pretty sure it's Flying Saucer. Anyway, it looks like it's going to grow over a beam and into an old shed.

ddsack May 4, 2019 01:14 AM

Looks like it likes its pot! Doing great!

PlainJane May 4, 2019 08:27 PM

Spooky, what exposure are they getting?

SpookyShoe May 5, 2019 06:36 PM

Not full sun, except for maybe a few hours in the afternoon. I find that very few things can tolerate our full sun. My Indigo Spires salvia and my Wendy's Wish salvia do not like full sun...they wilt in it but recover after the sun goes away. I've got pentas blooming beautifully in partial shade and they are recommended to be put in full sun.

PlainJane May 5, 2019 06:57 PM

Right ... I would have been amazed if they were getting a strong dose of direct sun.

The petunias and other flowers on my patio are baking away but I water them a ton, and replace once they get too toasted.

The clump of Amistad Salvia, out in the pollinator garden, is on its 3rd year and now seems impervious to wilting. I make sure I water the WW and Love and Wishes when it gets really bad.

GrowingCoastal May 5, 2019 10:15 PM

This spring I took a saw to a potted Amistad to separate it. I cut it in half and all of the middle is quite woody. I wanted to reduce a large plant to a reasonable size that wouldn't require a monster pot to do well. One in the ground is sprouting really well even after a harsh winter but I did keep a cover over it to prevent it from getting soggy wet.

SpookyShoe May 19, 2019 09:41 AM

Flying Saucer and Glacier Star

2 Attachment(s)
I planted some hanging baskets and one container of morning glories this season. They are doing okay, but they are not what I call thriving. I think I need to grow them in more sun than they are getting. So I'm going to start some more seeds today. I'm also going to add some Perlite to the potting mix like the internet suggests so they have a more loosely draining soil.

PlainJane May 19, 2019 03:22 PM

The flower colors are so nice!

ddsack May 19, 2019 03:57 PM

Yes, the pale blue shades are my favorites! Nice photos!

SpookyShoe May 19, 2019 06:01 PM

Additional varieties

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the nice comments. Today I picked up the following seed packets. The seeds are currently soaking in water and I'll plant them tomorrow.

SpookyShoe May 22, 2019 05:13 PM

Another Flying Saucer

1 Attachment(s)
This was so pretty I just had to post it.

PlainJane May 22, 2019 06:23 PM

Wow, it’s enormous!

SpookyShoe May 22, 2019 07:07 PM

The internet says these can get from 5 to 6 in across.