Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Removable Lean-to Greenhouse (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4486)

dcarch April 7, 2007 07:48 AM

[quote=cancolgirl;53600]Question: Do you have a dummies version of what you've done? :oops: I look at it and still can't figure out how you got to the final stage or maybe I'm just tired. --------.[/quote]
[COLOR=black][COLOR=black]The roof panels and the side panels are secured to the stone wall, on the three support frames, and by the raised bed using only Velcro taps and clear packing tape. The four front panels are hinged to the roof panels using clear packing tape so that I can open them anytime to get to the plants. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]When the weather gets warmer, sometime in May, and the plants get to be very tall, then it's time to remove the entire greenhouse.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Removal is easy. I will just peel off the packing tapes and Velcro taps and all the panels will detach and be stacked and stored away. The entire GH will be re-installed again for winter season growing.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]I expect the packing tapes will deteriorate by UV by that time anyway.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]The three support frames are secured by six screws top and six at the bottom and can be unscrewed easily.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]In our zone 6/7 it doesn't get too much snow and too cold around this time of the year. In your area you probably will need thicker poly-panels. Last night it got to be 26 degrees F outside, and inside the GH it was 38 degrees F. ;) and the plants are doing fine.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Let me know if you have any questions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]dcarch[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

spyfferoni April 9, 2007 06:46 PM

This is such a good idea. I was thinking of doing something like that along my back fence. My house faces south, so the back of my house is the north side, but my fence is in the sun all day. Maybe I can figure something out.

Tyff

dcarch April 9, 2007 07:46 PM

[quote=spyfferoni;53929]This is such a good idea. I was thinking of doing something like that along my back fence. My house faces south, so the back of my house is the north side, but my fence is in the sun all day. Maybe I can figure something out.
Tyff[/quote]
I am very happy that this is working out very well so far. We had a week of freezing weather, and my seedlings are doing great inside the GH. I will have at least more than two months of extra growing time every year for very little investment.

The building of the GH is very easy. Even a [B]cavewoman [/B]can do it :lol: . You can cut the panels with a knife.

All the work I saved having the seedlings go directly in the soil without transplanting.

Actually, the construction is strong enough that the GH can be free-standing, it doesn't have to be a lean-to GH.

Post a picture of your place, I'll happy to give you some ideas.

dcarch

moulman April 12, 2007 11:44 AM

cost?

Dcarch, what was your bottom line on the entire setup?

I imagine that those temp controls were not cheap....

dcarch April 12, 2007 12:01 PM

[quote=moulman;54287]Dcarch, what was your bottom line on the entire setup? I imagine that those temp controls were not cheap....[/quote]

1. 5 x $45 for poly-panels. $225
2. Clear packing tape $3.00?
3. Velcro $5.00?
4. [COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman]Miscellaneous[/FONT][/COLOR] hardware $5.00?
5. Thermostat from eBay $11.00
6. Fan (Salvaged from a computer) $0.00 (about $10.00 on eBay).

Not counting raised bed, which I had from before.

dcarch

dcarch April 12, 2007 05:34 PM

OK!

Today in our area we got a blinding rainstorm with wind gusts more than 40 m/hr.

GH still no problem. :mrgreen:

dcarch

Tomatovator April 13, 2007 08:51 AM

cdarch
You may have problems later this season with air circulation around the plants that are right up against the wall. I tried putting them that close to my wall last season and had a lot of foliage problems. This year I'm keeping them 2' away from the wall to try to get more circulation. Just my $.02.

dcarch April 13, 2007 01:21 PM

[quote=Tomatovator;54448]----You may have problems later this season with air circulation around the plants that are right up against the wall. ----.[/quote]
You are probably right. I will have to stake them away from the walls when the time comes.
thanks

dcarch

dcarch April 16, 2007 05:16 PM

You all know about the Nor'easter which is causing major problems for many areas. Well, we got hit yesterday! many inches of rain and 50 miles/hr wind gusts.

Happy to report that the removable greenhouse survived again:!: :mrgreen:

dcarch

Zana April 17, 2007 10:03 AM

You've inspired me to try this next year, dcarch. I have to admit that I've been thinking about trying something like this for awhile. I've got working drawings ready to go for some "portable" raised beds (granted not quite as easy to dismantle as your greenhouse, when it comes to emptying the beds of soils and drainage materials) which I hope to start work on in the next couple of weeks. I've got a mostly concrete backyard. Great for holding heat, but lousy in which to plant veggies. If your lean to greenhouse survived yesterdays high winds, it will probably survive almost anything. Good luck with yours. May I "borrow" your idea?

dcarch April 17, 2007 10:10 AM

Zana,
If you post a picture of your area or drawing of your proposed raised bed, I will be happy to give you some suggestions.

dcarch

Tomstrees April 17, 2007 08:11 PM

Dcarch,

What varieites you got growing under that hood ?

~ Tom

dcarch April 18, 2007 12:27 PM

[quote=Tomstrees;54914]Dcarch, What varieites you got growing under that hood ?~ Tom[/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][I]Mariana's peace[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][I]Kellogg's Breakfast [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][I]Big Boy [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][I]Moskvich[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][I]Beefsteak [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black][COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][I][COLOR=black]Cherokee purple[/COLOR] [/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=green][COLOR=black][COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][I][COLOR=black]Black Krim[/COLOR] [/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][I][COLOR=black]Carbon[/COLOR] [/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][I]Ananas Noir[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=green][COLOR=green][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][I][COLOR=black]Big Zac[/COLOR] [/I][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[I][COLOR=black]dcarch[/COLOR] ;) [/I]
[/COLOR][/FONT]

bizzarbazzar April 18, 2007 04:33 PM

Looks fabulous Dcarch. I love the idea as well :)
I may pick your brain for next years project :) some more :)

dcarch May 1, 2007 07:33 AM

Making wonderful progress. Many blossoms forming on plants. Not bad at all for Z6/7 NY!
Hope to remove the greenhouse in the next one or two weeks. Depending on long range forcast.

dcarch:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/dcarch/GH3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/dcarch/GH1.jpg[/IMG]