Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Show OFF your Seedlings ..2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43913)

BigVanVader February 15, 2017 08:23 AM

Nice! I am still learning when to start spring broccoli here.

BigVanVader February 15, 2017 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;618984]Me thinks you have some potting up to do. BVV.
Lots of work, llot of pots, lots of mix.
Good luck ![/QUOTE]

Yeah, potting up is my least favorite part of my operation. Seems to take ages to get through 1 flat of dense planted seedlings.

decherdt February 15, 2017 08:41 AM

Well, if Spring IS early in the South, then my broccoli is late-ish. Soil temp was 65 °F and these 7 week old plants were starting to look root crowded. Have a second wave going for later too.

BigVanVader February 15, 2017 08:53 AM

When did you start those? I just started mine last week, probably wont get any heads before they bolt but I said screw it and started them anyway. I can always give them to my sister in NC.

decherdt February 15, 2017 09:04 AM

Sown Dec. 26. for Feb 15 plant out, per TAMU.edu (w/ 50% LFD 3/15, LFD 04/06)
Not being a market grower I am ok with bolted broccoli, RKN hate it, and the bees go nuts for it.

BigVanVader February 15, 2017 09:15 AM

[QUOTE=decherdt;619068]Sown Dec. 26. for Feb 15 plant out, per TAMU.edu (w/ 50% LFD 3/15, LFD 04/06)
Not being a market grower I am ok with bolted broccoli, RKN hate it, and the bees go nuts for it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, yeah I don't mind either. I market farm more for the fun and challenge than the almighty dollar.

Gardeneer February 15, 2017 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;619056]Nice! I am still learning when to start spring broccoli here.[/QUOTE]
Its about time. :cute:
Mine is in cold frame in 18 cell pack. Not germinated yet. Any day now.
Lowes down here is selling Bonnie plants. Tooo expensive , $3.50 for a six pack.
Broccoli belongs to cabbage family, "cole crop". They can handle frost and even light freeze.

Spike2 February 15, 2017 10:58 AM

I hate this thread!! It is the middle of Feb, it is snowing outside, it is to early for me to get anything started here in NE Ohio :(

Okay baby fit over! Keep the pictures coming!! I will live through your seedlings till I can have my own!! :)

Gardeneer February 15, 2017 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=Spike2;619108]I hate this thread!! It is the middle of Feb, it is snowing outside, it is to early for me to get anything started here in NE Ohio :(

Okay baby fit over! Keep the pictures coming!! I will live through your seedlings till I can have my own!! :)[/QUOTE]
Sorry, Spike. :(
But you are not supposed to plant out when it is snowing. Spring ahead !
How about some time in April ? Then you can sow some seeds now .
In May ?. Then wait till early March. That is in about 2 weeks.

Come July, our Southerners' gardens will be sizzling when yours are flourishing. :cry:

charley February 15, 2017 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im trying something new this year all greens in a row all darks together in a row .and all pinks in a row so it will be easier to compare and decide what i dont want to grow anymore and what to keep

Spike2 February 15, 2017 05:55 PM

Gardeneer, I am right by the snow belt and get some of the lake effect nastiness. I am usually thrilled if I can get my garden planted the first week or two of June. First there is the cold and snow and then we have to get the tornado warnings/watches (Holy heck we are going to Oz) and finally the rains. Takes a while for things to warm up and dry off lol. So I see the pictures and get all twitchy.

Nattybo! February 15, 2017 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=ibraash;618796]This is interesting, at least for me :)[/QUOTE]

Wow! That is really neat! I have seen 3 cotyledons before but never a 4. Are you going to give that one a special tag so that you can keep track of it?

Gardeneer February 15, 2017 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=Spike2;619220]Gardeneer, I am right by the snow belt and get some of the lake effect nastiness. I am usually thrilled if I can get my garden planted the first week or two of June. First there is the cold and snow and then we have to get the tornado warnings/watches (Holy heck we are going to Oz) and finally the rains. Takes a while for things to warm up and dry off lol. So I see the pictures and get all twitchy.[/QUOTE]

June ? , in Ohio ? That sounds strange ? Even up North, CT I used to plant out in did May.
What is your average LFD up there ?
Lakes and big bodies of water usually tend to moderate the temperatures.

Gardeneer February 15, 2017 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=charley;619213]Im trying something new this year all greens in a row all darks together in a row .and all pinks in a row so it will be easier to compare and decide what i dont want to grow anymore and what to keep[/QUOTE]
That is some fore thinking.
I have not yet done a plant out sketch. But I will do one row of stringing and one row of Florida Weaving (about 12 to 15 plants each ). The rest will be staked. I have not yet figured out what goes where.
I will have about 5 dark plants, maybe 10 yellow, 12 pink, 10 multi color and some reds.

charley February 15, 2017 09:44 PM

gardeneer it sounds like you like the pinks.ido to so let me ask you whats your favorite pink?im trying cowlicks for the fist time this year im hoping it does better than the other brandy wines ive tryed