Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Soda Bottle Planters (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3297)

Andrey_BY December 18, 2006 05:00 AM

Very nice photoes. Wish I have more free places on my window-sills, but usually they are full of home plants :)

But I think I will able to use my balcony (looking to the East) for such experiments. I've got some home plants (geraniums) there which is very unusual for our weather in December. Mother Nature has been joking with our Zone 4a during the second part of November and the first part of December!

+3+8 C is very anomalous for Minsk now. It used to be -5 -20 C here in December.

DavidinCT February 26, 2007 04:56 PM

My Florida Petits (started Jan 23rd) aren't as pretty. Photo from this morning:

[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/Hist/floridapetitskitchen.jpg[/img]

They do have blossoms on them though.

caascher2 February 26, 2007 05:57 PM

Cool pic David. The snowy backdrop make them look really interesting.

jenn_sc February 26, 2007 07:25 PM

Wow!!!! I love that Christmas table! How did the fresh tomatoes go over at the dinner?

Lovely idea :)

Jennifer

dcarch February 26, 2007 07:44 PM

[quote=jenn_sc]Wow!!!! I love that Christmas table! How did the fresh tomatoes go over at the dinner?

Lovely idea :)

Jennifer[/quote]
Friends really enjoyed fresh pick tomatoes for their salad. Most of them have never eaten green tomatoes before. I had to convince them to try my Lime Green Salad. They all asked me for seeds afterwards.

dcarch

honu April 26, 2007 04:38 AM

These are great ideas that will be wonderful for workshops for our "Hands on Healing" program under the American Cancer Society. The program provides workshops for cancer patients to explore and discover their creative resources to promote physical, mental and spiritual healing.

honu April 26, 2007 04:42 AM

Thanks dcarch! Your wonderful ideas will give joy to and uplift spirits of many folks!

sirtanon April 26, 2007 10:49 AM

Dcarch - I actually made one of those last week. Well, all except the finishing part. Still haven't painted it yet, but I will.. as soon as I figure out what I want to finish it WITH.

If I could ask - what do you use to cut the bottles with that you get such a uniform and clean scalloped edge? The straight edge I can do fine, but when I tried to do the curvy one, it turned out like junk.

velikipop April 26, 2007 10:54 AM

Wow, what a wonderful integration of art, recycling and growing tomatoes. Very impressive.

Alex

Granny April 26, 2007 07:33 PM

This is a stupendous idea! And I even have all of this stuff :) What a great project this will make.

Warren June 18, 2007 08:49 AM

very cool. so are these dwarf tomato plants?

was the bottle two litter or three litter?

and you grew these using Compact FL lights?

dcarch June 18, 2007 11:35 AM

[quote=Warren;62507]very cool. so are these dwarf tomato plants?

[COLOR=darkgreen][B][I]Yes. LGS, Florida Pitte, Red Robin.[/I][/B][/COLOR]

was the bottle two litter or three litter?

[COLOR=darkgreen][B][I]Two-litter. I guess 3-litter would be even better.[/I][/B][/COLOR]

and you grew these using Compact FL lights?[/quote]

[COLOR=darkgreen][I][B]250W metal halide lamp.[/B][/I][/COLOR]
[B][I][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#006400]dcarch[/COLOR][/I][/B]

neoguy October 16, 2007 01:48 PM

How many hours did you have the lights on for?

dcarch October 16, 2007 05:34 PM

[quote=neoguy;76764]How many hours did you have the lights on for?[/quote]
Varies.
I work around my plants, and the light for the plants also lights up my work area. I work long hours.

12 to 18 hours?

dcarch

neoguy October 16, 2007 07:01 PM

Thanks, I'm giving this a try this fall. I've sprouted Lime Green Salad and Tiny Tiger, just transplanted to 16oz cups. I certainly do not possess your creativity so I'll be planting in simple 6" pots.