Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Farmer's Market Member Dues Survey (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30846)

Wi-sunflower May 21, 2015 08:40 AM

Yah, percentages are a nightmare and impossible to really know what's what. I don't think any market near me uses % any more. I think a few art fair types still do but only a few.

Carol

FarmerShawn May 21, 2015 11:46 PM

For the market I frequent it's ten bucks for annual membership and five bucks a week.

Keger May 22, 2015 09:25 AM

One I go to has no annual fee, just by the week. I am really, really, tired of watching markets implode from simple greed. Many vendors will say and do anything. One day a lady bought a tomato plant and the guy next to me told her " don't by that! buy my tomatoes when they are ready" Very uncomfortable for the customer.

This issue with markets is that they have forgotten about the customer. Now they all scream about needing more customers but they never give a reason for more folks to come out. This whole price fixing thing is past idiotic. Where is the integrity in that? Charge what the market will bear for what you have. If you cant compete that's your problem to figure out.

I got a couple guys together, found a good location, and we started a little roadside stand.

Much better way to go.

Cole_Robbie May 22, 2015 11:09 AM

I had one other vendor get mad about my sign on my tomatoes that said "pesticide-free." I guess customers who had been by my booth would come over and ask him if his tomatoes were pesticide-free. At a market meeting, he told us that "there was really no such thing as pesticide-free." LOL. If I never sprayed them, then what else are they?

Worth1 May 22, 2015 01:43 PM

There are lots of roadside stands where I live.
I think this is what I would do too.
Worth

Keger May 24, 2015 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;474632]There are lots of roadside stands where I live.
I think this is what I would do too.
Worth[/QUOTE]

Yes, and this is kind of happening the last couple days. I talked with the owner of the shopping area where we set up last week, they love the concept, the customers loved it and so on. This week we will kick around the idea of a permanent set up.

In the mean time a couple grower buddies of mine asked about selling at the stand too, as they are frustrated with how farmers markets operate these days. So I am thinking maybe start a little co op, something like that. Run of course by a somewhat benevolent dictator, me.

Might be interesting.

Salsacharley May 24, 2015 10:06 AM

Make sure you get all your guvmit permits and ducks all lined up or they will be on you like a chicken on a June bug.

Redbaron May 24, 2015 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;475099]Make sure you get all your guvmit permits and ducks all lined up or they will be on you like a chicken on a June bug.[/QUOTE]That is so true.:yes:

Palmandan May 24, 2015 04:14 PM

FarmerShawn - I am in Cabot - where are you? I have been involved with and participated in many different farmers' markets. The most crowded and financially lucrative market was also the most unpleasant for me - as the vendors were very competitive and the board was unpleasant. The market I attend now has great leadership - wonderful vendors with fair prices - and many loyal customers.

Cville May 24, 2015 04:21 PM

Our dues are $50 a year, down from $80 last year. It does include the rental cost of the porta-jon as well as a liability insurance policy that covers all the vendors. It is a small growers only market.

FarmerShawn May 25, 2015 12:18 AM

[QUOTE=Palmandan;475161]FarmerShawn - I am in Cabot - where are you? I have been involved with and participated in many different farmers' markets. The most crowded and financially lucrative market was also the most unpleasant for me - as the vendors were very competitive and the board was unpleasant. The market I attend now has great leadership - wonderful vendors with fair prices - and many loyal customers.[/QUOTE]

I'm on the Connecticut River in Maidstone, vending in Lancaster, NH. It's a great little market, and I misposted earlier, before we actually had to pay our weekly fee. I said it was five dollars, but it's gone up to seven dollars a week.