Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Blue DANGER for the tomatoes. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38728)

Darren Abbey November 2, 2015 10:05 PM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;511786]The [I]Dancing with Smurfs[/I] I've been growing had very little speckling (<5% of the surface) on top for the last 3+ mos. Today I noticed a cluster with some decent shading, about 30-40% of the orb. I've been looking closely since they started giving fruit, simply because they taste very good to me. Mosaicism perhaps? Incomplete penetrance? Who knows, I was happy I had some blues.[/QUOTE]

The anthocyanin traits are typically enhanced by cold temperatures. Late season tomatoes showing more of the trait wouldn't be unexpected.

Gerardo November 2, 2015 10:10 PM

Very cool. Temperature, the great regulator. Look forward to more and more blue!! Thans D_A.

Allisa November 2, 2015 11:56 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;511794]I know Orange Strawberry very well, if you want to discuss thisone, see Tania'slink for it

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Orange_Strawberry[/url]

First, you save seeds from the Orange Strawberry you grew this past summer, those are the F2 seeds. You sow them for plants next Spring, set out plants and see what you get.

There is no F1 involved....[/QUOTE]

Many thanks! Your story is very interesting. And you're correct, I'm partly Ukrainian.

I will save seeds and will try to plant some next year to see if antho will be visible or not. If that will come true, then I'll try other "contaminated" varieties.

Ambiorix November 9, 2015 10:02 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Other examples of blue contamination.

[ATTACH]54316[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54317[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54318[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54319[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54320[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54321[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54322[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54323[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54324[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54325[/ATTACH]

Ambiorix November 9, 2015 10:11 AM

19 Attachment(s)
[attach]54326[/attach]

[attach]54327[/attach]

[attach]54328[/attach]

[attach]54330[/attach]

[attach]54329[/attach]

[attach]54331[/attach]

[attach]54332[/attach]

[attach]54333[/attach]

[attach]54334[/attach]

[attach]54335[/attach]

[attach]54336[/attach]

[attach]54337[/attach]

[attach]54338[/attach]

[attach]54339[/attach]

[attach]54340[/attach]

[attach]54341[/attach]

[attach]54342[/attach]

[attach]54343[/attach]

[attach]54344[/attach]

Ambiorix November 9, 2015 10:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
[attach]54345[/attach]

[attach]54346[/attach]

[attach]54347[/attach]

Gerardo November 9, 2015 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Darren Abbey;511795]The anthocyanin traits are typically enhanced by cold temperatures. Late season tomatoes showing more of the trait wouldn't be unexpected.[/QUOTE]

Here are my Smurfs with some antho. Woohoo!

[ATTACH]54363[/ATTACH]

Ambiorix November 20, 2015 08:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
[B][U]D) Bumblebees sow the blue ill-feeling[/U][/B]

[U]A) Introduction.[/U]

I realized several crossings in 2010 and 2011.
But I noticed that I obtained fortuitous crossings.
I thus followed my crossings and the fortuitous crossings by means of my testers during several years.
Furthermore, I obtained some seeds of several varieties of known hybriders (Tom Wagner, Frogsleap-Farm (Mark Mccaslin) and Reinhard Kraft).
I observed certain crossings of these hybriders and I located certain identical phenomena at any time: fortuitous crossings giving rather different tomatoes.
I got used to realizing for all the studied crossings the family tree of the obtained tomatoes.
I am not going to review them all but I am going to show you what I obtained with my crossings realized and obtained accidentally at my home and my testers.

[ATTACH]54550[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54551[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54552[/ATTACH]

Ambiorix November 20, 2015 08:40 AM

17 Attachment(s)
[B]My crossings with Purple Haze[/B]

Purple Haze has four interesting characteristics:
- tomatoes are rather big
- tomatoes are flavourful
- it is a variety with leaves of potatoes
- it is also an allogamy variety.
Thus as the blue tomato, its pollen can transport itself easily from a variety to an other one.
Thus during several years, I followed very much crossings created by the hand of the man:
P20 * Purple Haze F4 (?)
Purple Haze F4 * P20 (?)
OSU76 * Purple Haze F4 ( Ambiorix)
Purple Haze F4 * OSU76 ( Ambiorix).
I thus noticed that I obtained a big quantity of kinds of blue and not blue tomatoes, little and big tomatoes with leaves of potatoes and with regular leaves.
And thus in 2014, I obtained a crossing with one " pineapple blue " and a purple Haze: big tomatoes which had leaves of potatoes with anthocyanins.

[ATTACH]54553[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54554[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54555[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54556[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54557[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54558[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54559[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54560[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54561[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54562[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54563[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54564[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54565[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54566[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54567[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54568[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54569[/ATTACH]

Ambiorix November 20, 2015 08:41 AM

Remark:Cat face

It is the physiological disease which affects particularly the big tomatoes which are subjected to very unfavorable particular weather conditions (low temperature) which take place during the flowering and the fruit setting. (It arrives from time to time with the variety Purple Haze and in certain crossings with this variety)

Ambiorix November 22, 2015 03:54 AM

11 Attachment(s)
[U][COLOR="Red"]F) Some descendants of 2098AB (One pineapple blue)[/COLOR][/U]

[ATTACH]54591[/ATTACH]

In 2014, from seeds of the tomato obtained by Gerd (3108GW), I thus have at first 3 sorts of tomatoes obtained by 4 testers:

- an orange flesh-coloured blue orange and an orange and blue skin 4010BZ
- one " pineapple blue " yellow flesh and yellow and blue skin 4640AB: no in compliance with cause of the shape of the tomato
- One yellow flesh-coloured blue pineapple and yellow and blue skin: good shape.

But in 2014, I obtained a looking like tomato in green zebra and in Zebra Rita from the seeds of Gerd:3108GW.

I kept the seeds of 4 tomatoes of which I kept seeds for part which thus carry different numbers.

In 2015, I obtained 5890AB which looks like her mother 4793AB, green zebra and to Zebra Rita (which is a crossing of Tom Wagner between black pineapple and green zebra).
3 other references gave every time of the different tomatoes:

5508AB: a tomato tourmented enough without blue.
5927AB: a tomato with brown skin and with brown flesh looking like Purple Haze without blue.
5641AB: a red and blue tomato with red flesh

[ATTACH]54592[/ATTACH]

Furthermore 4843AB, daughter of 3108GW in given
My 5508AB
5014LQ and 5009BR: a green tomato ribbed
5008BR: a green tomato not ribbed
5006BR: an orange and blue yellow looking like tomato in 3108GW her grandmother.
5011LQ a brunette with red flesh.

[ATTACH]54593[/ATTACH]

If all these obtained varieties are very different, it is for three reasons:
A) There are many of the various characteristics between the blue purple Haze and the " pineapple " thus many possibilities of dominant or recessive genes.
B) In every generation of the pollen of another blue or not blue variety can bring new genes which become thus dominant at the certain moment in the successive generations.
C) The genes of green zebra were maybe transmitted at the certain moment.

[COLOR="red"][B]DEMONSTRATES ONE MORE TIME THAT IT IS NECESSARY TO PROTECT THE FLOWERS OF CROSSED BLUE VARIETIES OF WHICH WE SHALL TAKE GRANULATED ON THE PRODUCED TOMATOES.
IT IS NECESSARY TO PROTECT FLOWERS IF IT HAS VARIETIES ALLOGAMES IN NEIGHBORHOOD.
IT IS THUS NECESSARY TO WORK WITH BIG PRECAUTIONS IF WE MIX NOT BLUE AND BLUE VARIETIES WITH BLUE VARIETIES AND VARIETIES ALLOGAMES AS THE PURPLE HAZE AND ALL THE CROSSINGS WITH THE PURPLE HAZE.
THUS THE BLUE VARIETIES, THE CROSSED VARIETIES OR NOT WITH THE PURPLE HAZE, THE VARIETY "JOURNEY" AND ALL THE VARIETY ALLOGAMES ARE INVASIVE FOR THE CONFORMITY OF ALL THE TOMATOES.
IT IS THUS NECESSARY TO PROTECT THE FLOWERS OF WHICH WE RECUPERONS GRANULATE THEM TOMATOES IF VARIETIES OF THIS KIND(GENRE) ARE IN THE ENVIRONEMENT OF OUR BLUE AND NOT BLUE TOMATOES.
[/B][/COLOR]

NO, you should not give up the culture of the blue tomatoes, it is just necessary to take many of cary.
1 °) The blue color brings one more to tomatoes.
All other varieties created by other hybriders gave me the same kind of conclusions. I am going to show you now just now some beautiful varieties which are delicious and which are flavourful if they are cultivated in ideal conditions.
2 °) A rainbow of pleasure for the eyes and the mouth.

[U][COLOR="Blue"][B]a) A creation of Reinhard Kraft[/B][/COLOR][/U]

[ATTACH]54594[/ATTACH]

[B][U][COLOR="blue"]b) A creation of Ambiorix[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[ATTACH]54595[/ATTACH]

[B][U][COLOR="blue"]c) 3 creations of Frogsleap Farm after 3 years in my hands[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[ATTACH]54596[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54597[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54598[/ATTACH]

[B][U][COLOR="blue"]d ) A creation of Fusion_Power[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[ATTACH]54599[/ATTACH]

[B][U][COLOR="blue"]e) One of my tester "Belzeb"[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[ATTACH]54600[/ATTACH]

[B][U][COLOR="blue"]f)A descendant of Reinhard Kraft's seeds[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[ATTACH]54601[/ATTACH]

Only for such photos, it is necessary to learn to protect certain flowers of our varieties of tomatoes.

To be continued: The surprises of the various leaves of the plants of tomatoes.

travis November 22, 2015 12:42 PM

Amborix, are the various "Purple Haze" tomatoes you picture all the result of you own filial generation grow-outs? Did you start with the F1 hybrid, and then grow the F2s, F3s, and so on?

Ambiorix November 23, 2015 02:59 AM

I received the seeds of Purple F4 of two different origins (AM and RN)

Ambiorix November 30, 2015 03:27 AM

6 Attachment(s)
[B][U][COLOR="Red"]Surprises of the types of leaves of the varieties.[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[B][U][COLOR="Blue"]1) Introduction[/COLOR][/U][/B]

The blue color can perturb the conformity of tomatoes: we have now proofs.
It is necessary to protect the flowers which will give tomatoes and seeds for the future sowing.
But, we are not certain that some of our seeds do not contain blue gene and all our exchanged or bought seeds contain it maybe also.
Our sowed seeds and the obtained tomatoes must be observed and photographed during all their growth.
It is necessary to try to locate all the visual indications which show that we have no blue gene.
All these visual markers are very important.
But it is also necessary to differentiate all the types of leaves of the plants of tomatoes which can be perturbed by the blue genes.

[B][U][COLOR="blue"]2) Type of leaves already met:[/COLOR][/U][/B]

A) Regular
B) Leaves of potatoes
C) Leaves of carrots.

These three types can be colored in blue because anthocyanins can be present.
You have already had some examples.

[B][U][COLOR="blue"]3) Other types of possible leaves:[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[B][U]A) Burnets[/U][/B]

I have already had crossing with this variety but, the result gave me always until now leaves of burnets or regular not blue but I have too little case at the moment to say that it is not possible.
It is certainly possible to obtain burnets with anthocyanins.

[ATTACH]54714[/ATTACH]

[B][U]b) Greyish white[/U][/B]

[ATTACH]54715[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54716[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54717[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54719[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54718[/ATTACH]

Ambiorix November 30, 2015 03:42 AM

11 Attachment(s)
[B][U]3) Woolly[/U][/B]

[ATTACH]54720[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54721[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54722[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54723[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54724[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54725[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54726[/ATTACH]

[B][U]4) Woolly and white[/U][/B]

[ATTACH]54727[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54728[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54729[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54730[/ATTACH]

[url]http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Woolly_Blue_Jay[/url]
Gave the yellow tomatoes while all other "sellers" have the same tomatoes as mine.

[B][COLOR="Blue"]An effect of the blue danger!!![/COLOR][/B]