Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Thrips, mites and aphids; Oh my! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45104)

Dewayne mater May 27, 2017 11:27 PM

The below is the original post and is erroneous. I was mixing two product labels in my head.

For some reason, the label on Spinosad says it is for spider mites in some vegetables, but, doesn't mention that it treats them on tomatoes. Has anyone found that it doesn't work on spider mites for tomatoes? Label error? Spider mites have arrived with the recent heat and its time to get after them quickly!

clkeiper May 28, 2017 08:18 AM

Trust me..... There are no label errors on what the spray is approved for. It costs a gazzillion dollars for each approved. Plant and pest is is labeled for
Not that it won't work. Just that the cost to add another plant and pest to the label (which prohibits me fro using it on a crop it isn't labeled for) can be in the millions for an fda approval. Which then means I need to have several of identical products on my shelf with different labels so I can spray more than the crops listed on one bottle legally since I also sell produce.

Sun City Linda May 28, 2017 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=b54red;642969]I use between 2/3rds and 3/4 of a cup of food grade DE for every gallon of spray I am making. I mix it first in a separate jug and then pour it through a strainer into my sprayer then add the other ingredients and extra water to make the amount I am looking for.

I don't see why you can't add Spinosad without any problems. I add Permethrin and Dawn and if I need to use a copper spray at the time I am using it I will add that and have had no problems.

I find spraying much easier than dusting and just as if not more effective but then I am applying it to a lot of plants. If it is a bit windy which it always seems to be this time of year dusting can be challenging to say the least. I do use it in my duster when I don't have many plants to treat and don't want to mix up a small batch for spraying.

Bill[/QUOTE] Thank you Bill. Your advice is always so helpful you are a wealth of experience! I used a pretty fine strainer and did not get much in it but no clogging with my sprayer. The DE does settle fast so constant motion is good but too much active shaking and the Dawn turns into soap suds:lol:

Shrinkrap May 28, 2017 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Dewayne mater;643073]For some reason, the label on Spinosad says it is for spider mites in some vegetables, but, doesn't mention that it treats them on tomatoes. Has anyone found that it doesn't work on spider mites for tomatoes? Label error? Spider mites have arrived with the recent heat and its time to get after them quickly![/QUOTE]

I use Monterey Insect Spray, and the attached label includes tomatoes with "fruiting vegetables".

Dewayne mater May 28, 2017 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=Shrinkrap;643185]I use Monterey Insect Spray, and the attached label include tomatoes with "fruiting vegetables".[/QUOTE]

This is correct. My mistake.

BigVanVader May 28, 2017 03:18 PM

I use the Monterey as well.

Shrinkrap June 30, 2017 05:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I can't believe this was four weeks ago! Update of the leaves in pictures 4,5. The plants have been in dappled shade, and we have had temps 90 and 100 can+.Seems under control with Neem Oil. Going to try Monterey Insect Spray too when it cools off this evening.