Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Eggplant aka Aubergine (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   What are your varieties this year? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45275)

jtjmartin December 2, 2018 10:39 AM

Ok, I'm jumping on the Mitoya bandwagon - just ordered the seeds from Baker Creek (still free shipping). I also ordered Aswad.

SEED SAVING:
Peppers seem to cross more than tomatoes. What about eggplant? Pretty easy to seed save of do I have to bag blossoms?

Jeff

roper2008 December 8, 2018 07:09 PM

I haven't really tasted an eggplant that I didn't like. For 2018, my small eggplant list
is:
Thai Green- Haven't grown it in a long time, and I like it.
Rosita- New for me
Snake of Mugla- New for me
Kamo, if I get it for the MMMM Mystery Swap
Left over ping tung long seed from last year.

I have read that to save Eggplant seed you need to let it get yellow and kind of mushy inside. I guess a little rotten, and then you extract the seeds and dry them.

zipcode December 11, 2018 10:35 AM

This year was the first to try planting eggplants. It was a success, they seem to require smaller pots than tomatoes for the same production in weight. It was an unknown white, great production on smallish plants, very good grilled (good creamy texture), but not good in the usual eggplant salad that I do (very little taste).
So next year I will try one of each: Ping Tung, Thai Long Green, Kamo and probably Aragon F1 or Madonna F1 depending on what I find.

GoDawgs December 12, 2018 09:31 AM

I'm really tempted to try Mitoyo or Kamo but one eggplant plant is really enough. The Millionaire grown last year provided a ton and there's still plenty of seed. I get tired of eating it and they're hard to give away. Still.... I'm tempted. ;)

roper2008 December 18, 2018 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=jtjmartin;720246]Ok, I'm jumping on the Mitoya bandwagon - just ordered the seeds from Baker Creek (still free shipping). I also ordered Aswad.

SEED SAVING:
Peppers seem to cross more than tomatoes. What about eggplant? Pretty easy to seed save of do I have to bag blossoms?

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Hey, do you want to swap a few seeds of Mitoya for Snake of Mugla eggplant, just got the seeds from Baker Creek? If not, no biggie.

Linda

jtjmartin December 18, 2018 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=roper2008;721389]Hey, do you want to swap a few seeds of Mitoya for Snake of Mugla eggplant, just got the seeds from Baker Creek? If not, no biggie.

Linda[/QUOTE]

Linda:

Absolutely! :) My law partner's wife is Turkish so I looked at the Mugla - she remembers her Father growing the small orange eggplant - haven't asked her about the snake.

I'll PM you. If anyone else is interested - just PM me.

Jeff

Ken B June 24, 2019 02:32 PM

We're also growing out Snake of Mugla this year -- interested to hear how it does for y'all!

Ken B September 25, 2019 02:33 PM

Snake of Mugla impressions: later than other eggplants by 2-4 weeks (some of this might be due to older seed that was slower to germinate). Big, sprawling plants (less upright than other eggplants), would probably benefit from staking. Getting more production now -- moderate producer so far. Neat looking fruits (long, skinny, usually S-shaped like a snake) -- a few times I've looked at plants out of the corner of my eye, and thought for a second that I was seeing a black snake!