Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Dense Planting Illustrated - WARNING - Pic Heavy! Latest video 3/17 - transplanting (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=437)

jnlp33 February 15, 2014 09:05 AM

Dense planting madness!

I tried nctomatoman's dense planting technique and had 100% germination, and then I transplanted them and now I have more plants then I can deal with. I kept cautioning my husband that "lot's of these won't make it" but they all did! My back porch is covered in large, plastic drinking cups filled with tomatoes and peppers. I'm filled with awe and more then a little trepidation that this technique worked so well and now I'll have to gift them to people at church because I don't have planting space for all of them!

ScottinAtlanta February 15, 2014 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=kurt;341132]I grow arugala all year long here.Tricks that I have found is if you have patience do seed one at a time at 4-5 inches apart in long plastic planting troughs.I do all mine in these long 5 inch by 3ft long 6 inch deep planters and do not go inground cause of the bugs here.I get two rows per planter.They will jump up and then "settle"again about a inch away from where they come out of the ground from.When you see them in the big box they are bunched up and will eventually kill each other off to form 1 plant anyway.Wife cuts the outside young leaves as she needs them(slow bolting down).Grow in two week increment sand you will have arugalas in varying leaf sizes.I always let one or two trays grow larger and give them a haircut(butch style when larger salads are needed)One tray I let go for seeds.If you like pepper grow the roquette arugalas for some intense peppery flavor.We do the same with other "stand up"(non head )greens for constant fresh picked salads when we want/need them.Arugala will last for us up to two-3months per tray.[/QUOTE]

Dagnabit, that's just the idea I needed. NOW I know how to grow arugula. Thanks, Kurt.

ChristinaJo March 4, 2014 10:23 AM

Definitely marking this!

KathyDC March 9, 2014 01:42 PM

Is the first video - of sowing, the first steps - available anywhere else now? I click on the first link and it just goes to a list of videos at Craig's youtube channel. Thanks!

SharonRossy March 14, 2014 05:14 PM

HI Kathy, you probably found it but when you click on the first link and go to youtube, if you click on the Pepper Update Part one, another list on the side comes up called transplanting video, and that is the one that shows how to transplant from dense sowing. I don't know if that's the one you are looking for.
Happy Gardening!
Sharon

BigVanVader April 3, 2014 12:05 PM

Thanks Craig..

I used Craig's method this year and it worked perfectly. I have so many tomatoes I can give everyone I know a few and have plenty left to plant.

Anyone short on space to start seeds, this works, try it.

:yes:

lexusnexus April 5, 2014 09:55 PM

Craig, short of going through 21 pages of this thread, I'll just ask. What is your seed starting/growing medium? I couldn't see the label clearly on the videos I viewed.

Thanks, Dan

MarilynSloper May 13, 2014 08:39 PM

I just finished watching your transplant videos and loved them!. Completely blown away at how easy it looks! At first I was surprised to see that you left no dirt on your plants' roots, because I always thought that if the roots were disturbed the little plants would go into shock and either grow stunted or else would die. But nope, yours sure don't. NEXT YEAR I am going to plant thickly and do what you do! Wow! Sure wish I had seen these videos before I planted my seeds this year. Thank you so much for sharing how you do it!!!

gregory January 30, 2015 08:39 PM

very informative and I liked the technique of using your thumb to push the seedling
down. Since it was my first time to grow tomatoes from seeds it made a pleasure
repotting the plants. Thanks

danwigz March 10, 2015 10:57 PM

Watching this video is always my psych-up to getting my seeds started!

Myronr June 29, 2015 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=KathyDC;396887]Is the first video - of sowing, the first steps - available anywhere else now? [/QUOTE]
It can be found here
[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYgX3y5ptQ[/URL]

aimeehoward October 13, 2016 05:12 AM

thank you for sharing all these videos. as I am moving to a house next summer I would like to start a small garden. however with zero experience it is going to be a challenge, but I am so excited anyway.
If s.o. could help me with online tutorial about composting that would be great, as well. once again thank you for sharing all the helpful links.

cjp1953 May 2, 2017 04:29 AM

Just seen this and am looking at some of your videos,amazing garden.You have a great touch or should I say green thumb!Thank you for such a great learning device in your videos.Looking forward to watching them all and future ones!:yes:

Spike2 May 3, 2017 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=cjp1953;636354]Just seen this and am looking at some of your videos,amazing garden.You have a great touch or should I say green thumb!Thank you for such a great learning device in your videos.Looking forward to watching them all and future ones!:yes:[/QUOTE]

You beat me to this! I was coming to bump this thread up because it sure did help me!

Banadoura May 7, 2017 10:22 AM

Thanks for bumping this thread Spike, I would have done a few things differently had I watched the videos a few weeks back :?: