Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Suggestions on source for trays and pots (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25872)

barbamWY March 10, 2014 10:40 PM

Chamomile tea diluted and sprayed on the sides of the pots works.
Barb

heirloomtomaguy April 5, 2014 01:09 AM

Yeah i will third or maybe even fourth the McConkey suggestion. I got 500, 4 inch pots and 100, 18 pot seed trays for 110 bucks.

smithmal April 24, 2014 05:06 PM

Or you could go refurbished pots...

Man, you guys buy pots in bulk!

Looks to me like getting 100 4" pots with associated trays will run anywhere from $50 to $60 with shipping at any of the many options posted in this thread.

Another route is to go to your friendly neighborhood plant nursery and purchase their used 4" pots with carrying trays and then soak them in 5% bleach when you get home.

I would think they would sell them to you 50% less than what you can get them for when purchasing them new.

smithmal

MrBig46 January 28, 2015 05:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I use cups from coffee machine (pictures). Zero price for used material.
Vladimír

bobberman January 28, 2015 10:54 AM

The 8 ounce Styrofoam cups are really cheap like 50 for a $1. I use then and put a pin hole a inch from the bottom for drainage or if I water from the bottom I put a pin hole in the bottom of the cup! Its easy to get the dirt out also! Water the plants with warm water and it stays warm for a good while inside the Styrofoam! To make large pots for flowers lighter I put the crussed cups at the bottom so the big 2 to 4 gallon pots or planters are lighter.!

Begora March 8, 2015 03:46 PM

I love the perforated board I assume you made to hold the cups upright. I would love to do this. What material and tools did you use ?

MrBig46 March 9, 2015 05:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wood drill jig, 7 diameters: 26-32-38-45-50-56-63mm.
The material in our country appoints Sololak and it is hard fiberboard made wet method (one face white). I don´t know the American equivalent.
Vladimír

Worth1 March 9, 2015 05:19 PM

Here it is called Hardboard, high density fiber board (HDF) fiber board and Masonite.
Also Isorel

The other thing is called a hole saw.
Mine are like this and I have had them for years for work.

You must be very careful with them because if they grab it can break the bit or break your wrist get hung up in pants leg and so on.

[IMG]http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/7a/7a174f96-98a0-4d12-b40d-423e38037879_400.jpg[/IMG]

Worth

NewWestGardener March 9, 2015 06:56 PM

I should point it out that when choosing pots, it is best to work with SQUARE ones other than round ones, as the latter tends to roll and fall, a lot less steady when you carry them out in a tray, or in a moving car (like giving plants to friends). The square ones also fit the rectangle nursery trays better, stack them one next to the other, with no space wasted.
Costco sells the red drink plastic cups, round but squeezed flat on two sides, that is fine.

Worth1 March 9, 2015 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=NewWestGardener;455867]I should point it out that when choosing pots, it is best to work with SQUARE ones other than round ones, as the latter tends to roll and fall, a lot less steady when you carry them out in a tray, or in a moving car (like giving plants to friends). The square ones also fit the rectangle nursery trays better, stack them one next to the other, with no space wasted.
Costco sells the red drink plastic cups, round but squeezed flat on two sides, that is fine.[/QUOTE]

You just made me think of something.
For some time now I have been thinking about swedging (forming)small vegetable cans to grow tomatoes in.
To do this I would need to have a block of steel with about a 10 degree taper.
Why not make it square with rounded corners.

Worth

MrBig46 March 10, 2015 01:45 AM

I'd rather have square cups. But coffee cups in a vending machine are all conical.
Vladimír¨
;)

Douglas_OW March 10, 2015 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;455944]I'd rather have square cups. But coffee cups in a vending machine are all conical.
Vladimír¨
;)[/QUOTE]

With your system, you are better off with the round cups; square hole saws are hard to find.

Jim

Mr. Frost June 6, 2017 08:19 AM

Hello guys. I'm thinking of planting seedlings in solo cups. Is that okay? Plus how many drainage holes do I put?

Cole_Robbie June 10, 2017 08:35 AM

Solo cups work fine. I usually take scissors and cut four slits off the bottom edges of the cup.

Mr. Frost June 10, 2017 08:43 AM

Thank you very much. Perlite or vermiculite isn't sold where I'm at. Can I use styrofoam instead?

Cole_Robbie June 10, 2017 08:54 AM

From what I read, you can use styrofoam, although perlite and vermiculite are superior at retaining air and water in the media. You might try looking for other alternatives, like a very coarse sand, or a small-sized, porous gravel.

Mr. Frost June 10, 2017 08:55 AM

Thanks Cole.

Redbaron June 15, 2017 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=Mr. Frost;646186]Thank you very much. Perlite or vermiculite isn't sold where I'm at. Can I use styrofoam instead?[/QUOTE]I would use chopped fall leaves

MissS June 15, 2017 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=Redbaron;647274]I would use chopped fall leaves[/QUOTE]

Nice to see you posting Scott. Welcome back! :)

And, I agree with Redbaron. Chopped leaves are a much batter option than Styrofoam. Bark fines also work great. Many, many years ago, I too tried using Styrofoam with horrible results. Styrofoam does nothing to add any air to the soil. The soil just compacts around it. You need something that creates air pockets. Styrofoam just takes up space, never decays and pollutes your soil.

Mr. Frost June 15, 2017 12:13 PM

Chopped leaves? I haven't heard of that before. Fresh or dry leaves?

Mr. Frost June 15, 2017 12:15 PM

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by fall leaves, but I'll look it up. What size should they be? Should they be finely chopped or kinda big?

GrowingCoastal June 15, 2017 12:39 PM

Would coco coir be a good addition if perlite is not available?

Mr. Frost June 15, 2017 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Frost;647283]Sorry, I don't know what you mean by fall leaves, but I'll look it up. What size should they be? Should they be finely chopped or kinda big?[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess so. It's used a lot by a whole lot of gardeners for retaining moisture and lightening the mix.

carolyn137 June 15, 2017 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=Redbaron;647274]I would use chopped fall leaves[/QUOTE]

I forgot to tell you that I'm also glad you are back posting as well.

And when I think Red Baron, I'm also thinking of the seeds I sent you and the variety was named Red Baron.

Do you remember that?

I've tried and tried to find out where I got those seeds from but I'm through trying to find out.:)

Carolyn

MissS June 16, 2017 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=Mr. Frost;647283]Sorry, I don't know what you mean by fall leaves, but I'll look it up. What size should they be? Should they be finely chopped or kinda big?[/QUOTE]

Fall leaves are dry brown leaves. I just rake them into a pile and run the lawn mower over them. I guess that they are about quarter size and smaller when I am done. I like them to be on the fine side.

Redbaron June 16, 2017 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;647381]I forgot to tell you that I'm also glad you are back posting as well.

And when I think Red Baron, I'm also thinking of the seeds I sent you and the variety was named Red Baron.

Do you remember that?

I've tried and tried to find out where I got those seeds from but I'm through trying to find out.:)

Carolyn[/QUOTE]Thanks Carolyn yep, three times I tried to get them to sprout! nada :( But one day maybe I'll find some again. This year I managed to maybe sprout an even older Rutgets, but that variety was a heart. Not good sprouters.

[QUOTE=Mr. Frost;647282]Chopped leaves? I haven't heard of that before. Fresh or dry leaves?[/QUOTE] Usually dry leaves that then are moistened as they become partly composted. It's easy enough. Just make a pile of leaves! Nature does the rest. Some people prefer the finer ones that filter down towards the bottom of the pile, others prefer a courser mix. If you make the pile in the same place every year you can even get good leaf mould from the very bottom! All of these are good mediums for starts.

Mr. Frost June 16, 2017 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;647529]Fall leaves are dry brown leaves. I just rake them into a pile and run the lawn mower over them. I guess that they are about quarter size and smaller when I am done. I like them to be on the fine side.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. The weather here is pretty much summer all the time. There's no Frost:twisted: So if I plant indeterminate tomato's say Cherry tomatoes, they aren't gonna freeze. Does that mean they'll live forever?

ginger2778 June 16, 2017 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Frost;647547]Thanks. The weather here is pretty much summer all the time. There's no Frost:twisted: So if I plant indeterminate tomato's say Cherry tomatoes, they aren't gonna freeze. Does that mean they'll live forever?[/QUOTE]

Technically, tomatoes are a perennial that are treated like an annual. If your frost free zone is anything like mine, there's plenty of insects and infective microbes to kill them off every year, but we have a 9 month season.

Mr. Frost June 16, 2017 01:38 PM

Wow. Well I don't think insects or microbes will be a problem. If they're like 3 years old, would their yield reduce?

ginger2778 June 16, 2017 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Frost;647570]Wow. Well I don't think insects or microbes will be a problem. If they're like 3 years old, would their yield reduce?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't know, mine never live that long.