Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Preserving Your Harvest (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   She forgot the lemon juice... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47895)

salix July 22, 2018 03:54 AM

I would also think that freezing would be a quicker option. My concern is the higher pH of the onion, garlic and herbs (if fresh). Much better to follow tested recipes/processes, then there is no need to second guess or worry about safety of product.

NarnianGarden July 22, 2018 06:22 AM

If there is space in the freezer, it is a great way to store tomato sauce. We usually keep any leftover tomatoes / sauce that way. (No space in the cold storage room as it is already reserved for fruit / berry preserves...)

Worth1 July 22, 2018 09:44 AM

Here are some facts.

Normal thorough cooking (pasteurisation: 70°C 2min or equivalent) will kill [I]Cl.botulinum [/I]bacteria but not its spores. To kill the spores of [I]Cl.botulinum [/I]a sterilisation process equivalent to 121°C for 3 min is required. The botulinum toxin itself is inactivated (denatured) rapidly at temperatures greater than 80°C .

70C = 158F.
121C=249.8.F
80=176F
So even if you had toxin on your jar boiling the contents will neutralize the toxin.
This is why they say heat canned food.

Next.
Lime juice and lemon juice can be interchanged to acidify food.
(look at link I posted before.)

If you dont like either one of those or that nasty vinegar then use citric acid.

1/2 teaspoon per quart.

My fermented hot sauce is very safe when it comes to acid.
Fermenting puts enough acid in it alone to do the job but yet I add lime juice and citric acid.

brownrexx July 22, 2018 10:32 AM

I would also freeze them rather that re-process. I freeze mine in glass jars all of the time and as long as you leave enough head space for expansion, I have never had a jar break.

She has already done quite a lot of cooking on those tomatoes. I feel that less cooking leads to more flavor.

Worth1 July 22, 2018 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=brownrexx;709066]I would also freeze them rather that re-process. I freeze mine in glass jars all of the time and as long as you leave enough head space for expansion, I have never had a jar break.

She has already done quite a lot of cooking on those tomatoes. I feel that less cooking leads to more flavor.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever froze food in the quart jars with shoulders.
They dont recommend it but was just asking.
We used the plastic freezer containers they probably still sell if I looked for them.

They look like this and we put catfish and water in them to freeze.
Also fruit.
Worth
[IMG]https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/12516495/Arrow-Plastic-00044-3-Pack-1-Qt-Stor-Keeper-Freezer-Storage-Containers-4af75cb5-ecdc-44f4-9615-4b03bbc9747b_600.jpg[/IMG]

gssgarden July 22, 2018 04:39 PM

She processed them again. No prob. Poured all into a lot and boiled again. Then into canned for a long bath.
Oh, added lemon juice. Lol

She said there was no room in the freezer for them. :/

She, and they will be fine. Lol

Thanks guys

Greg

brownrexx July 22, 2018 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;709067]Have you ever froze food in the quart jars with shoulders.
They dont recommend it but was just asking.
We used the plastic freezer containers they probably still sell if I looked for them.

[/QUOTE]

I use the wide mouth jars so they don't really have shoulders. I also have some plastic "jars" that are made by Ball that are BPA free. They make them in pints and quarts.

I mostly use the glass jars for my home made spaghetti sauce and plastic for tomatoes and everything else.

ContainerTed July 22, 2018 06:21 PM

This thread is another example of strength of community and how we members really do care for another. This is the best danged website on the net.

imp July 22, 2018 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=gssgarden;709109]She processed them again. No prob. Poured all into a lot and boiled again. Then into canned for a long bath.
Oh, added lemon juice. Lol

She said there was no room in the freezer for them. :/

She, and they will be fine. Lol

Thanks guys

Greg[/QUOTE]

Lots of work, but think how lovely they will taste in the winter!

wildcat62 July 22, 2018 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=ContainerTed;709128]This thread is another example of strength of community and how we members really do care for another. This is the best danged website on the net.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is.

imp July 22, 2018 07:29 PM

[QUOTE=ContainerTed;709128]This thread is another example of strength of community and how we members really do care for another. This is the best danged website on the net.[/QUOTE]

I agree very much.

coronabarb July 22, 2018 09:40 PM

Any sauce, etc needs to have lemon or lime juice (bottled) added to the recipe for safety if it calls for it. Doesn't matter if it is water bath canned or pressure canned. The approved recipe is developed WITH that acid included and leaving it out changes the recipe. Then, it is no longer the same tested recipe.

There are several variables in canning such as pH, density of ingredients, size of jar (which can affect how the heat transfers in the jar during processing), altitude and more. If you want the guarantee of safety for you and your family, don't divert from the recipe. I would recommend reprocessing with the added lemon juice. It might be okay without if the tomatoes were acid enough, but you really don't know.

edited - just saw your post, Greg. :D :D

coronabarb July 22, 2018 09:43 PM

<<So even if you had toxin on your jar boiling the contents will neutralize the toxin.>>

True if you don't mind having a contaminated jar and contents in your kitchen. Just one tiny taste is all it takes to get C. bot. Only a tested recipe guarantees that the interior of the jar will reach the required 240 F to kill the spores.

coronabarb July 22, 2018 11:26 PM

Bottled lemon and bottled lime juice are interchangeable in canning recipes. Vinegar cannot be used in place of the juices.

zipcode July 23, 2018 03:03 AM

[QUOTE=gssgarden;708959]When she made her sauce. Quarts and pints and they have been given a long bath already.

She only put onion, garlic, herbs, a little sugar, s&p.

What do you think the shelf life will be?
[/QUOTE]

Without the herbs etc, the shelf life is about 2 years for a mixture of tomatoes. With all those in, hard to say, I guess it depends how much it is but it's difficult to predict.