Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Carolyn/Shawn 2018 Germination Reports (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47329)

SueCT April 23, 2018 08:51 PM

Looks like 25-30% germination is about average so far.

carolyn137 April 23, 2018 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=SueCT;696826]Looks like 25-30% germination is about average so far.[/QUOTE]

Right you are and I know that I'm very disappointed since I/we knew the seed age of almost all of them,and with two exceptions none were older than 2 yo as I recall.

Carolyn

SueCT April 23, 2018 10:07 PM

It so conisistent between varities and between people doing the planting that it seems very odd.

kevinrs April 24, 2018 01:30 AM

I had 100% germination on 2/7 varieties, poor results on all the others.
Hard to compare with other's results though, since of those 2, only Father has been reported by anyone else so far, and that was a report of poor germination, so inconsistent there.

kevinrs April 24, 2018 02:39 AM

Ok, got curious, put together the results from the 10 people who've posted results so far, 359 seeds planted, 107 germinated, 29.8% germination overall.
I'm the only one who got 100% on any varieties, though that seems to be luck, since I've also got as low as 20%, and someone else got 22% on one of my 100%.
No one has better than 52% overall, the worst anyone has is 14%
One possibility is they are being partially sterilized in transit or something? The only way to test that would be to test some seed that hasn't been sent. The variety with the highest reported number planted is Bulgarskoye Chudo with 40 planted and 11 germinated.
Hopefully some more people report, and help confirm what the issue is.

ginger2778 April 24, 2018 07:48 AM

I don't get it. I don't think it's an error on the part of all the folks starting the seeds, because they reported virtually 100% from my seed offer, some are the same people. What could be going wrong with the seeds? It's not like saving seeds is rocket science. Weird.

Labradors2 April 24, 2018 08:40 AM

Who is sending out the seeds? Wasn't the germination rate pretty low the last time Carolyn made a seed offer? I suspect that the Post Office is doing "something" to the seeds.

Linda

carolyn137 April 24, 2018 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;696915]Who is sending out the seeds? Wasn't the germination rate pretty low the last time Carolyn made a seed offer? I suspect that the Post Office is doing "something" to the seeds.

Linda[/QUOTE]

Shawn is sending out the seeds,not me. I am sending seeds I still have here,though,to several folks, one in Denmark,one in MA, and am about to send those mystery ones to folks who signed up for them.

Linda,the last time I made a seed offer by myself,there was no problem with germination, well there are always some differences between folks with the same seeds for several reasons, not related to seed age,etc. .

Which is why I wrote that preview for the Seed Offer quite a while ago in the Off Topic Forum and transferred it to the top of the current seed offer as I said I would .

Carolyn, who in the past several decades has done seed offers by herself, she raised the plants,processed the seeds,etc.,at many places and there's a thread dealing with the Old Garden Web,and yes,I did several there for quite a few years.

Farmette April 24, 2018 12:48 PM

Seeds started in Miracle Grow germinating mix.

Colgar Papuo -3/9
Rheinhard's Purple Heart -2/4
Reinahrd's Chocolate Heart -1/4

I thought maybe it was my mix as I have never used it before. These were not the only seeds I had poor results for; my own saved seeds did not germinate as well as usual. Typically, I use Light Warrior or something similar to germinate. It has been a very strange year so far in regards to my germination overall. Not sure why. I did switch to Light Warrior for later seeds with a somewhat better result.

FarmerShawn April 24, 2018 03:43 PM

Carolyn/Shawn 2018 Germination Reports

Yes, I’m doing the mailing, except as Carolyn noted, for the first time this year. The seeds are stored here the same as my seeds, in a dry cupboard, inside a plastic container. I think I have padded the seeds adequately when I pack them; if someone disagrees, please let me know.
I have started many of these varieties from the same seed packets, and for the most part have had success, though I have not yet recorded the actual germination results, as most are still just emerging. But I do know that some varieties sent up one or two early birds, and more often followed several days later. But that happened with many of my 300+ varieties this year.
I use recycled K-cups filled with Vermont Compost Fort Vee potting mix, and a small thermostatically controlled heat mat that only holds two trays, so I stack on that, and also use a shelf above that.
I am baffled and concerned about the low rates of success, and welcome any suggestions for a solution going forward.
I don’t think I am speaking out of turn here, but if anyone had zero germination for a variety you had your heart set on growing, and you want replacement seeds to try again, perhaps for next year, PM me your address and what didn’t work, and I’ll send replacements. I still have tons of seeds for most of the varieties, so that should not be a concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ginger2778 April 24, 2018 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=FarmerShawn;696969]Yes, I’m doing the mailing, except as Carolyn noted, for the firs time this year. The seeds are stored here the same as my seeds, in a dry cupboard, inside a plastic container. I think I have padded the seeds adequately when I pack them; if someone disagrees, please let me know.
I have started many of these varieties from the same seed packets, and for the most part have had success, though I have not yet recorded the actual germination results, as most are still just emerging. But I do know that some varieties sent up one or two early birds, and more often followed several days later. But that happened with many of my 300+ varieties this year.
I use recycled K-cups filled with Vermont Compost Fort Vee potting mix, and a small thermostatically controlled heat mat that only holds two trays, so I stack on that, and also use a shelf above that.
I am baffled and concerned about the low rates of success, and welcome any suggestions for a solution going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I think Linda meant who sent the seeds to you? Direct from producers, or producers to Carolyn to you?

FarmerShawn April 24, 2018 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;696972]I think Linda meant who sent the seeds to you? Direct from producers, or producers to Carolyn to you?[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes to both, and some are ones I grew and saved seeds for the offer. For the majority of the varieties, though, the other producers sent me the seeds directly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bower April 24, 2018 06:02 PM

There was nothing wrong with the packaging, it was exactly as Carolyn packed them last time (and others have sent me seeds packed the same way which were fine).

I would suspect a heat exposure somewhere along the chain, either in transit or in storage. Sun falling on a package can heat up the inside pretty quick. Plastic is worse of course. I had a batch of pepper seeds in a ziplock that got left on the table one day and the sun shone on them for a little while - ruined! Of course they are more sensitive than tomato seeds, but I think the same principle applies.. heat is a killer. :no:

kevinrs April 25, 2018 04:04 AM

From everything I can find, the postal service is only irradiating mail going to certain government offices, so that's not likely the issue.
Accidental heat at some point is probably a good possibility, but I did get 100% germination from Father(2015) while getting as low as 20% on another. I suppose if that packet was in my envelope at the bottom of the stack of packets while heat was applied to the top or something the difference could be explained?
I'm thinking of heating at some point in transit with the mail.

kurt April 25, 2018 05:51 AM

Rubinka 2 germ out of 7
Cougar 2 germ out of 6

Will/ can If more available.