Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Seed Started Lighting (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46498)

clkeiper January 20, 2018 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;678949]I have a similar setup. I put aluminum foil around the sides to reflect light back onto the plants.

Nan[/QUOTE]

that is a great idea but an even more efficient one are the heat reflecting mylar blankets for emergencies. they are cheap and cover a large area. get them in the automotive section at walmart or there abouts... emergency preparedness area/ camping or whatever. but I used them to wrap around my plant stand fixtures to reflect the light back to the trays.

GrowingCoastal January 20, 2018 12:02 PM

The blanket idea is good! I bought one after reading about it here and have stapled it to the shelving I will use out in the cool area.

JoParrott January 20, 2018 01:17 PM

seed starting setups

1 Attachment(s)
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Here is my humble setup- I have some peppers, tomatoes, a few flowers from saved seeds, chives, cutting celery and some test carrot tape that I made. There are 3 heat mats- I found some 24" LED tube lights at WalMart for only $9.99 and have 6 of them attached under shelves with zip tabs. It is working pretty well so far-in my guest room!
[/FONT][/SIZE]

hl2601 January 22, 2018 10:54 PM

Your set up looks terrific. Thanks for posting. You taught me something new ( thank you) Now a question for those in the know -the shelves or tables under my lights should be white? That's for reflecting back to the plants? If my shelves are against a wall ( laundry room) would it be good to tape foil to cover the backs of all the shelves as well? My lights are LED so I don't worry about too much heat.

AlittleSalt January 23, 2018 11:17 AM

For me, I'm just trying the white shelf as an experiment. I don't know if it will make any difference at all.

JoParrott January 23, 2018 12:02 PM

white shelves

[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I doubt if white shelves will affect anything either. I try not to have shelves against any walls because it cuts down on air circulation, and the seedlings need good air movement.[/FONT][/SIZE]

AlittleSalt January 23, 2018 05:03 PM

I agree. I keep a fan going in the room. I wish I could set it up more like yours, but I just don't have the room.

Worth1 January 23, 2018 06:34 PM

Light waves are lighter than air you might want to weigh them down some.:lol:

Worth

AlittleSalt February 5, 2018 01:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
2-05-2018

I [STRIKE]sow[/STRIKE]...planted seeds on January 23. Some germinate and grow faster than others. That is the reason why I like the lighting setup that I use. It's also why I use the seed starting trays that I do now. The little trays only have 12 cells per tray and fit under one 4' fluorescent light fixture well.

In the pictures, you can see how differently they grow. Some could be potted up any day now, while the Riesentraube just came up yesterday. Just simply tie one end of the lighting higher than the other and all are happy using the same light fixture.

I will be buying MG potting mix and plastic drink cups to pot up the taller ones in a couple days. That's when I'll adjust the second of the three light fixtures - plug it in and use it for those in the plastic cups. I will add pictures then.

loulac February 6, 2018 03:29 AM

When I see the lenght of the stems I think more light would be welcome, with the same looming problem : how to add light without raising the temperature. Of course if you transplant the seedlings quickly and bury half the stem things will be improved. I'm happy when the stems of my seedlings are short, thick, dark green.

Worth1 February 6, 2018 07:14 AM

[QUOTE=loulac;681583]When I see the lenght of the stems I think more light would be welcome, with the same looming problem : how to add light without raising the temperature. Of course if you transplant the seedlings quickly and bury half the stem things will be improved. I'm happy when the stems of my seedlings are short, thick, dark green.[/QUOTE]

That is why I use concentrated 100 equivalent watt CFL lamps.
No long stems and I can raise the lights up even farther.
About 1200 watts of light in a 3 x 4 area.
100 watts per square foot.
But only using 324 watts drawing 2.7 amps.

Worth

Nan_PA_6b February 6, 2018 10:02 AM

Use LED lights. They can touch the plants with no harm.

Nan

Al@NC February 7, 2018 09:03 PM

Nan, Do you use 6500k in the led light? I'm guessing T5 bulbs?

Al

Nan_PA_6b February 7, 2018 09:35 PM

Al, I use these:
[url]https://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-Utility-Shop-Light/dp/B01MUWR6DT?SubscriptionId=AKIAJSNNUHPJD2BBMSFA&tag=shoplights-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MUWR6DT[/url]

Nan

Al@NC February 7, 2018 11:55 PM

Thanks Nan,
The reason I ask is the 6500k lights for led's seem more expensive and harder to find. For instance my local homedepot only carries as high as 4100 on the T5's.

It looks like the 4100k is cool light.

[IMG]http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1000/6e060/product_images/uploaded_images/cfl-kelvin-colors-temperatures.png[/IMG]

Those lights do pretty well for you Nan?
Al