Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   My 2018 Tomatoes and Garden (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46460)

jmsieglaff January 29, 2018 08:41 PM

I will certainly do that! All I can say at this point is they are likely dwarf or micro, but it's too early to distinguish micro from regular dwarf. I'll have to pot up and look for short plants and small internode distance.

jmsieglaff January 29, 2018 09:50 PM

Modified my short list for my last slot. Curious to any experiences anyone has had with these. Always prefer intensely flavored tomatoes.

Matina
Waltinger's Fleisch aus Indien
Kiss the Sky
Aker's WV
Old Brooks
Bloody Butcher
Little Krim

Leaning Matina or Waltinger's Fleisch aus Indien. Matina because it is a classic tomato, early, supposed to be very productive til frost with very good flavor. Waltinger's Fleisch aus Indien because the little I've found and read it has outstanding flavor and seems to be a variety very rarely grown.

Nan_PA_6b January 29, 2018 10:27 PM

Matina produced well despite all odds. We found out later that we had planted it in about 6" of soil with a huge slab of boulder underneath. We dry farmed. Plants touching it on 2 sides died of some wilt. Matina never blinked. She produced an amazing amount, with good flavor. Tomatoes were small, though.

Nan

jmsieglaff February 5, 2018 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=hl2601;680432]Thanks for posting those pics. They look great! Will you keep us updated if the ones you are thinking are the micros are in fact micros?[/QUOTE]

26 indeterminate
7 probable dwarfs (hopefully a couple micros!)

That ratio is about spot on.

The 7 dwarfs have been potted up (along with another one that was sown a week prior).

I've got a couple hundred more sprouting for more micro hunting.

jmsieglaff February 9, 2018 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1 dwarf from 1st sowing, 7 from 1 week later, and 16 from 2 weeks later. Hoping 6 of these are micro and will plant those (or how many are micro) into their final pots. Since these are F2 I'm going to crowd 3 per pot as effort to screen more for flavor and/or color variability.

jmsieglaff February 14, 2018 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Below are 8 (micro) dwarfs. The tallest is a week older, nice tight internode distance. Of the remaining 7 they are the same age. You can see already some big differences. I’ll be selecting for shortest, along with the 16 others that are a week younger than those 7.

Koala Doug February 15, 2018 04:04 PM

[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]Nice pictures![/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

jmsieglaff February 24, 2018 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Micro dwarf hunt continues! Shouldn’t have a problem getting 9 I don’t think, some are clearly dwarf, which unfortunately won’t be grown.

jmsieglaff April 9, 2018 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While winter continues outdoors, my micro hunt lives on by the patio door. Only thing the micro hunt part was not a success, but got all these dwarfs that will eventually move outdoors. I’ll prune them and let them all ripen fruit—should mean some June tomatoes which will be very welcomed early tomatoes!

jmsieglaff April 11, 2018 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dwarf seeds were sown on 3/24 and potted up tonight (4/11) at first true leaf like I always do. A group of very healthy baby seedlings I'm excited to try. 9 are mine, 2 are for family.

jmsieglaff April 14, 2018 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to take advantage of 11% off and get ProMix for my bucket tomatoes and peppers! Snow flakes flying currently.

jmsieglaff April 20, 2018 08:12 PM

Potted up indeterminate at first true leaf tonight. A little later than usual, but this frigid spring, I foresee a later than usual plant out--so I'm keeping them smaller later into the spring in the basement than I typically would.

Random observation at plant up, the following at the widest plants from tip to tip of cotyledons:

KARMApink
CYxJF F1 (both plants)
KBX
Black Krim
Noire de Crimee
Brandywine Sudduth's
Brandywind Cowlick's

Interesting KARMApink is the only cherry on this list. My other cherries are smaller.

jmsieglaff April 21, 2018 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pepper starts are doing well. Still 2 Weeks from being moved to the cold frame with the cold spring.

ginger2778 April 21, 2018 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;696458]Pepper starts are doing well. Still 2 Weeks from being moved to the cold frame with the cold spring.[/QUOTE]

Gorgeous!

KarenO April 21, 2018 11:00 PM

Your peppers are looking great!
Interesting about the big cots on the KP. You will find they grow more like a big beefsteak than other cherry plants. The true leaves on a mature plant are almost abnormally large.
KarenO