Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Corn? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46268)

clkeiper December 5, 2017 03:06 PM

nope. not worth it as hard as it is to get a patch of corn fighting the varmints. the Cafe from stokes probably equals about that or mayb e even a bit more $$$$. 10,000 seeds ? nope no way. the sh2 (I think) is 3,000 to 5,000 kernels per pound.

Worth1 December 5, 2017 06:02 PM

I prefer field dent corn harvested at just the right time.
More corn flavor.
Worth

brownrexx December 5, 2017 07:56 PM

In my area we don't get worms in the corn until late in the season so I rarely get any and when I do they are small and only at the very end. I do not sell any corn so it's not a problem to just snap off the end if I need to.

AlittleSalt December 5, 2017 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;673849]I prefer field dent corn harvested at just the right time.
More corn flavor.
Worth[/QUOTE]

My father always planted field corn back in the later 70s and earlier 80s. I have no idea what variety. The stalks grew over 6' tall and were really big plants compared to the sweet corn I've grown. I do remember it tasted good though.

Salaam December 6, 2017 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;673849]I prefer field dent corn harvested at just the right time.
More corn flavor.
Worth[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course!

imp December 6, 2017 06:22 PM

I don't like the texture of field corn for fresh eating, plus you just about have to have the water boiling when you ( hopefully) catch it at a tender point. I think sweet corn is so much better, and especially the Mirai as it can be picked and held in the fridge for up to days, plus it has a terrific taste.

I don't think tough corn is worth eating.

Barbee December 7, 2017 07:45 PM

We tried the Ambrosia side by side with the Incredible. A bite of one, then a bite of the other. Ambrosia is very good but still we liked Incredible better.

clkeiper December 7, 2017 08:56 PM

Ambrosia doesn't fill out to the tip of the ear very well. we will not plant it again. it tastes good, though.

FarmerShawn December 8, 2017 12:12 AM

Liked Ambrosia, Luscious, Gotta Have It, and Incredible, but for three years now Honey Select has been our favorite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tormato December 8, 2017 03:04 PM

Candy Corn, Buhl, Hawaiian #9, states the corn snob.

No electric fence. The raccoons torment me, by picking one day early (as mentioned above), and by shucking and eating it on my picnic table. No lie.

Spike2 December 8, 2017 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=Tormato;674174]Candy Corn, Buhl, Hawaiian #9, states the corn snob.[/QUOTE]

LOL okay that tickles me! Tormato the corn snob!! I am gonna have to try this kind!

Spike2 December 8, 2017 04:50 PM

Imp told me about Mirai before and I did buy some to try this season. How far apart do I need to plant different types? If I am not saving corn seed does it matter? Or should I just try one type a season? The Old Uncles only allowed Silver Queen so I am pretty clueless about corn.

Rajun Gardener December 8, 2017 05:10 PM

It doesn't matter how close they're planted but you MUST stagger the flowering stages. Cross pollination will change the corn. Check the maturity dates and plant accordingly.

Worth1 December 8, 2017 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=Rajun Gardener;674192]It doesn't matter how close they're planted but you MUST stagger the flowering stages. Cross pollination will change the corn. Check the maturity dates and plant accordingly.[/QUOTE]

True you are eating the seeds not the offspring of the seeds.
And each seed can have a different father from a mile away.

Spike2 December 8, 2017 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;674195]And each seed can have a different father from a mile away.[/QUOTE]

Well that explains why the Old Uncles would only allow one type of corn.