Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Alliums (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Hardneck garlic making no scapes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45020)

PhilaGardener May 18, 2017 06:03 AM

Some folks feel that bulbils forming lower on the stem is a stress response.

Worth1 May 18, 2017 07:26 AM

[QUOTE=PhilaGardener;640715]Some folks feel that bulbils forming lower on the stem is a stress response.[/QUOTE]

It's aliens. :lol:
Worth

henry May 18, 2017 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;640725]It's aliens. :lol:
Worth[/QUOTE]

True :dizzy::love::))

Father'sDaughter May 18, 2017 09:52 AM

[QUOTE=zipcode;640494]

I got it 2 years ago from someone, it's definitely hardneck. Last year it made no scapes. Now this year I'm planting a bit of those and a new one, also definitely hardneck. Again no sign of scapes on any of them, and I doubt they will.

[/QUOTE]

Just curious -- how do you know it's "definitely hardneck" if it hasn't produced scapes in the two years you've grown it? By definition, a hardneck produces a scape. Did the person you got it from tell you what variety is was supposed to be?

jmsieglaff May 18, 2017 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=Father'sDaughter;640759]Just curious -- how do you know it's "definitely hardneck" if it hasn't produced scapes in the two years you've grown it? By definition, a hardneck produces a scape. Did the person you got it from tell you what variety is was supposed to be?[/QUOTE]

I agree, my first guess is maybe it isn't a hardneck.

My other thought is, maybe last year (the first year you grew this garlic?) there was stress such that it did not produce scapes. Now as far as this year, I believe it is too early for scapes--at least here in Wisconsin (~43N latitude) I usually don't get scapes until mid June.

zipcode May 18, 2017 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=Father'sDaughter;640759]Just curious -- how do you know it's "definitely hardneck" if it hasn't produced scapes in the two years you've grown it? By definition, a hardneck produces a scape. Did the person you got it from tell you what variety is was supposed to be?[/QUOTE]
I have seen the garden, it had scapes at that time (also some of them had these bulbils suspended in the neck as svalli said), also the hardneck leaves a hard woody thing in the middle of the cloves.

Father'sDaughter May 18, 2017 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=zipcode;640768]I have seen the garden, it had scapes at that time (also some of them had these bulbils suspended in the neck as svalli said), also the hardneck leaves a hard woody thing in the middle of the cloves.[/QUOTE]

The hard woody thing is the actually the base of the scape stalk.

Keep us posted on what the end up doing this year!

RayR May 18, 2017 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=PhilaGardener;640655]I just noticed scapes forming on my elephant garlic, but my regular garlic hasn't started yet. It is hard to know what effect our roller coaster weather is having this year.[/QUOTE]

Elephant garlic isn't actually in the garlic family, it's related to leeks.

Worth1 May 18, 2017 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=RayR;640881]Elephant garlic isn't actually in the garlic family, it's related to leeks.[/QUOTE]
Right,t but I have never been able to wrap my mind around it.:lol:

bower May 18, 2017 07:01 PM

Did you plant in spring or fall? I think spring planting can cause them to not produce scapes?

But honestly, if you have some bulbil things down in the stem, I think it is a softneck. Those bulbils look so cool!!! Like growing your own garden gnomes. ;):twisted:

Worth1 May 18, 2017 07:05 PM

I think we have came to the conclusion it is artichoke garlic.
Yes dont ask me why but that is what soft neck is called.
Worth

RayR May 18, 2017 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;640884]Right,t but I have never been able to wrap my mind around it.:lol:[/QUOTE]

How about Garlic Chives are closely related to onions, not garlic.

Worth1 May 18, 2017 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=RayR;640917]How about Garlic Chives are closely related to onions, not garlic.[/QUOTE]
Might as well add potato onions.:dizzy:
Worth

Father'sDaughter May 20, 2017 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;640920]Might as well add potato onions.:dizzy:
Worth[/QUOTE]

Which some people mistake for shallots...

svalli May 20, 2017 01:37 PM

zipcode, Does your aunt grow the ones with real scapes and the ones with the bulbils in the neck in same bed mixed with each other? She must have at least two different garlic varieties, if some have scapes and others have bulbils lower at the stem. If she has not separated the varieties at harvest time, you may have gotten a softneck bulb with hard stem in the middle due to the bulbils close to the neck.

I'm growing multiple garlic varieties and keeping the varieties separate at harvest and curing time is a lot of work.

Sari