Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Show OFF your Seedlings ..2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43913)

charley February 12, 2017 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
65 plants some started later than others.starting to harden off now.maybe i can plant out in a couple weeks:)

Gardeneer February 12, 2017 01:28 PM

Awesome, Charlie .
They are garden ready. Good Luck and a a good season.
I am also shooting to plant out in a couple of weeks, weather permitting.
I just started my second batch today ( 2/12/17) total of 18 varieties. These will be ready for April Plant out.

charley February 12, 2017 02:31 PM

thanks gardeneer now i just need to spread 6 loads of turkey compost catch enough fish to put 1 in each hole and plant out put up cages.man it shure is alot of work but soooo worth it good luck gardeneer

Worth1 February 12, 2017 02:38 PM

They look very healthy Charley.

Worth

roper2008 February 14, 2017 07:54 AM

Yes, nice plants Charley, and a lot. At least for me that's a lot.

I was wondering why Gardeneer was planting his tomato seeds so soon. NC weather
is very similar to VA weather. He must live in one of the warmest parts of NC.

Gardeneer February 14, 2017 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=roper2008;618764]Yes, nice plants Charley, and a lot. At least for me that's a lot.

I was wondering why Gardeneer was planting his tomato seeds so soon. NC weather
is very similar to VA weather. He must live in one of the warmest parts of NC.[/QUOTE]

As you can see I am in zone 8a. But NC is a big state. I am in the Southeast part of it, about 50 miles from Myrtle Beach.

My statistical average LFD is around early April. But I am doing some calculated gambling on the weather and I want to plant out (limited quantity) around mid March or possibly sooner. With the 15 days weather forecast I can figure out how to minimize my risks. Also I stand prepared in the event of frost.
[B]
Why am I doing this where we have a long season ?[/B]
A: Long season alright but come July/August with temps in high 90s and triple digit tomatoes will shut down production. So I want to get some decent harvest until then an also maybe my tomatoes will have enough unripe fruits on them before the scorching heat arrives.

But I will grow a second batch around April 10th. I am already germinating seeds for it. So even if my first batch is totally wiped out , I will have my second batch.

My Foot Smells February 14, 2017 10:06 AM

If you could post the date you planted the seed, it would be helpful for me. Mine are almost 1 month old (seed sowed 01/16/17) and just now have emergence of first true leaf. I think my light setup is weak. Plan on potting up to 4" pot within the week and hopefully some nice weather to get them outside for a spell.

ibraash February 14, 2017 10:14 AM

New Big Dwarf Mini Seedling with Four "Untrue" Leaves

1 Attachment(s)
This is interesting, at least for me :)

roper2008 February 14, 2017 10:18 AM

Only about 1 hour from Myrtle Beach, that's nice. In Virginia
Beach it gets just as hot.

Spartanburg123 February 14, 2017 11:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Early going, but these three Terhunes were up in 2-3 days! One Early Girl lost due to a seed case that refused to split. It was replaced by a Barlow's Best Black, as recommended by Camochef and recently Marsha!!:)

maxjohnson February 14, 2017 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine are already beginning to fruit or ripen, but I'm getting greedy so I started another batch that hopefully makes it into June.

Gardeneer February 14, 2017 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=My Foot Smells;618795]If you could post the date you planted the seed, it would be helpful for me. Mine are almost 1 month old (seed sowed 01/16/17) and just now have emergence of first true leaf. I think my light setup is weak. Plan on potting up to 4" pot within the week and hopefully some nice weather to get them outside for a spell.[/QUOTE]

Well, the common practice is to starts seeds 6 to 8 weeks before plant out. Lets take an average : 7 weeks. Any longer time than that you will/might get lanky plants and if pots are small they will get root bound.

I started my first batch on 1/14/17, with intention to plant out around March 14th. That will be 8 weeks. I might go ahead and do it one week early. Gotta see how the weather plays.. If I have to keep them longer, I will repot them into bigger pots (quart ). I should be able to know and decide this in about 7 days, by checking 15 days forecast. Sofar it looks promising til Feb 28. What will be first week of March ?

BTW: Our March average temperature are 40F(L) to 66F(H). I can live with that. But we have been getting warmer than average Jan, Feb and March should follow the same, per National Weather Service's long term forecast.

BigVanVader February 14, 2017 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the jungle

Gardeneer February 14, 2017 10:32 PM

Me thinks you have some potting up to do. BVV.
Lots of work, llot of pots, lots of mix.
Good luck !

decherdt February 15, 2017 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about broccoli?, these just went into the garden