Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Herbs (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Bay laurel- (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41525)

Stvrob June 9, 2016 10:38 AM

I always thought bay leaves used for cooking were those from the sweetbay magnolia that is widespread in swamps in the SE US. Apparently that's a different plant altogether.

Worth1 June 9, 2016 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=Stvrob;567491]I always thought bay leaves used for cooking were those from the sweetbay magnolia that is widespread in swamps in the SE US. Apparently that's a different plant altogether.[/QUOTE]

I just read a little bit about the so called Laurel forest and the habitat of the Bay trees.
Very interesting.
Worth

Tracydr June 9, 2016 10:06 PM

I had no idea that I live in a laurel forest!

Worth1 June 9, 2016 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=Tracydr;567706]I had no idea that I live in a laurel forest![/QUOTE]

I was hoping you would see that.:D

Worth

EPawlick July 21, 2016 09:13 PM

I brought mine inside last fall and it survived until I put it outside too early in the spring. Picked up a new one from Terra Greenhouses because we like using the bay leaves in cooking. A day or two on the counter is recommended before using.

NewWestGardener July 22, 2016 10:31 AM

Anybody successful in propagating cuttings? I pot up some small branches, dipped in rooting hormones first, then covered the pot with plastic. I also had a few bare brances that i dipped one end with rooting hormones then wrapped up the entire thing in layers of wet newspaper, then sealed in plastic bags.... It's been a week, we'll see if any would take. The wet newspaper way is very effective in propagating roses, it takes three weeks for roots to emerge.

GrowingCoastal July 22, 2016 12:50 PM

"then wrapped up the entire thing in layers of wet newspaper, then sealed in plastic bags."

How or where do you keep these wrapped stems?

NewWestGardener July 22, 2016 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just leave them on a shelf, so room temperature, there are many layers of newspapers and three additional plastic bags, so no light gets in. I only used stems, no leaves at all, and the root side also get some bark removed to get more exposure.
I just opened the packages up to check for progress and applied a bit more water to the newspaper. Now at 10 days, all rose stems have swelling, as well as blueberries, likely they will be ready for potting in a week. This is a very simple and effective way of propagation after several years of me trying other ways. I learned this from a youtube post from a professional nursery guy.
The bay stems showed no change, but stay green. I think they will root this way but slower than other stems.
Sorry for off topic a bit.

NewWestGardener July 22, 2016 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rose stems roots emerging.