Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   The Tallest Tomato Plant you Have Had. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35790)

NewWestGardener March 31, 2015 08:04 PM

Same here. Matt's Wild Cherry was more vigorous than Sungold and tougher against grey mold at the end of the season. The vines were surely over 12'.

[QUOTE=kath;461247]Matt's Wild Cherry had the longest vines of any tomato I've grown yet...don't know the measurement but they were WAY longer than Sungold, which exceeds 12' for me every year.

kath[/QUOTE]

AlittleSalt March 31, 2015 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;461220]One year we had a Black Cherry growing on a 500 foot radio tower.
They wouldn't permit us to climb the tower to the top to pick tomatoes.
So we had to get an old world war one artillery spotting balloon to pick the fruits. :D
Worth[/QUOTE]

We have a tower like that on an acre of leased land. They don't use it anymore...I wonder how tall Seminole squash would grow on it? :lol:

Starlight March 31, 2015 08:29 PM

You all are boggling my mind with heights some of your plants have reached. That has to be site to see. I can't even imagine having a tomato plant that tall let alone trying to figure out how to pick it.

Do they get so tall because of what you feed them?

KarenO March 31, 2015 10:15 PM

Even in a short season, A vigorous indeterminate cherry can easily reach 8-10 feet. Black cherry, sungold, super snow white etc have all grown up way past my 8.5 foot eaves troughs in a pot on a southfacing deck here North of Edmonton, Alberta.

KO

joseph April 1, 2015 12:09 AM

Since I grow tomatoes sprawling, they max out at about knee high.

loudog April 1, 2015 01:01 AM

two years ago I had a Tommy Toe grow over 17 feet tall, tomato's tasted good but split a lot.

Tall Tier April 1, 2015 02:03 AM

I single stem most of my varieties to promote the hight, eight to nine feet on some like Golden honey bunch, cherry punch, black cherry, grightsmire pride, oxhart, and some Roma's. Money maker was tall with nice even fruit sets.

PA_Julia April 1, 2015 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=Starlight;461302]You all are boggling my mind with heights some of your plants have reached. That has to be site to see. I can't even imagine having a tomato plant that tall let alone trying to figure out how to pick it.

Do they get so tall because of what you feed them?[/QUOTE]

It takes an aggressive feeding schedule along with a variety that has a history of large growth.

b54red April 1, 2015 08:14 AM

I do try to feed mine every week when the weather permits. I used to feed them about once a month and would get growth spurts along with spurts in production. Now they just keep growing and setting fruit but of course fruit set does slow down when the temps stay well above ninety so I get fewer fruits with more vine as the season progresses. Heavy fruit set returns with the cooler weather of fall even with older vines if they are still healthy.

Bill

kath April 1, 2015 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=Starlight;461302]
Do they get so tall because of what you feed them?[/QUOTE]

Not in my case- back when I grew Matt's Wild Cherry, the planting hole got some compost mixed in at plant out and that was it. Matt's Wild Cherry was a bit too wild in habit for me so I no longer grow it but it's a great small cherry.

budfaux April 1, 2015 07:51 PM

Neat thread.
I'll see if I can talk a few of my plants into participating this year.
Sounds like a fun project.