Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Provider Green Beans (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27316)

Deborah April 8, 2013 04:36 PM

All right, you hijackers !
Just kidding.

Sun City Linda April 8, 2013 04:57 PM

Deb I would take a pix to post of my Provider beans in pots but it is TOO WINDY out there. They are starting to get pretty purple flowers. It seems to me they took a while to settle in and grow but since I only have grown tomatoes thats my frame of referrance.

Deborah April 8, 2013 05:21 PM

When you can pictures would be great !
Mine never came up, so I've planted more in a cereal bowl and will pot up if I get plants.

Sun City Linda April 8, 2013 05:46 PM

I planted my seeds in peat pots and put them on a heating mat. Up in a few days. Any warm place would work. Cable box is great, as is top of water heater or sometimes back of fridge.

kath April 8, 2013 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=Sun City Linda;339177]I have some Jade I am going to plant next which has been around a while and seems to get mostly good reviews. Right now I am going outside to move all my potted Provider plants because we are having horrilble wind, steady at about 25 mph now with gusts at 40.:o[/QUOTE]

I liked the taste and appearance of Jade- it's a pretty bean, but the plants are taller than I like to deal with and they didn't produce as heavily or as long as Provider iirc.

Deborah April 8, 2013 06:40 PM

Oops, mine are outside. OK, top of fridge !

Sun City Linda April 8, 2013 07:00 PM

Thanks Kath, good to know. Black Valentine is another I am interested in.

Deb once it gets warm and nights stay warm beans and most everything else will come up outside but it is still pretty chilly at night where I live. Mostly high 40s. I am new to beans but I think they like soil temp at or above 60. Although many say they will germinate in cool soil, so maybe yours will come in in time.

Deborah April 8, 2013 07:40 PM

They're on the fridge now and thanks !

kath April 8, 2013 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=Sun City Linda;339229] Black Valentine is another I am interested in.
[/QUOTE]
I grew that one in 2009 I think when I still had the room for growing dried beans- before I found Tomatoville.:roll:Can't remember if we ate any of them fresh as green beans, though.

kforbs126 April 11, 2013 09:05 AM

I started my provider beans on sunday. I'm gone for 7 days and will see how things look this coming monday. They are under a lamp and not a heating mat because I didn't want to run both as my other plants are under the lights now.

Father'sDaughter April 11, 2013 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=Tormato;339176]It just may be.

I'm near the MA/CT border, and Tom (TJG911, here at Tomatoville) is in CT. We both agree that Contender is the worst tasting bean that both of us have ever tried. It may be a southern New England thing.:?!?:

If you're ever looking for small samples to trial, of many different varieties, send me a PM.

Gary[/QUOTE]

Gary, thank you for both the generous offer and the info on Contender. At this point I don't have even a square foot of available space in the garden beds if I grow everything in my plan for this year. But I have added Provider to the list of possibilities for next year so that I remember it when it comes time to buy my seeds for 2014. I love the pole beans I grow--primarily Super Marconi and Roma-- but they take so darn long to produce. While they are great steamed or boiled and tossed with olive oil and garlic, you can't throw them in a pan with some butter and lightly brown them--my favorite way to cook green beans!
Gina

Tormato April 13, 2013 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=Father'sDaughter;339823]Gary, thank you for both the generous offer and the info on Contender. At this point I don't have even a square foot of available space in the garden beds if I grow everything in my plan for this year. But I have added Provider to the list of possibilities for next year so that I remember it when it comes time to buy my seeds for 2014. I love the pole beans I grow--primarily Super Marconi and Roma-- but they take so darn long to produce. While they are great steamed or boiled and tossed with olive oil and garlic, you can't throw them in a pan with some butter and lightly brown them--my favorite way to cook green beans!
Gina[/QUOTE]

Gina,

Super Marconi (the Cuneo strain, from that region of Italy) is my absolute favorite bean for flavor. Yes it's late, and it also has fairly low production for me, in very hot weather. But, still I plant it.

I don't know why you say you can't throw them in a pan with butter???

Speaking of olive oil and garlic, I need to dig out a recipe (that I think I still have, but haven't tried) for oil and garlic oven roasted romano-type beans.

And, for early pole beans, someone should be sending me Kwintus, and another early, in a few days. He sometimes has trouble with trying to save seed, so I'm going to try to help. Hopefully, I'll be able to harvest a few hundred dry beans of each. ;)

Gary

Deborah April 20, 2013 02:16 PM

The Providers are up and about two inches tall ! It's my first time seeing growing beans.

kath April 20, 2013 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=Deborah;342045]The Providers are up and about two inches tall ! It's my first time seeing growing beans.[/QUOTE]

Beans are fun to watch because they grow so FAST!

Deborah April 20, 2013 06:57 PM

I can't wait for some for salads !