Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Selling heirloom maters.... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10012)

Tania January 8, 2009 02:36 AM

[QUOTE=bigmeanmamma;115619]clue me in...What's KBX?[/QUOTE]

You can find more information here: [URL="http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/index.php/KBX"]http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/index.php/KBX[/URL]

GIZZARDFARM January 8, 2009 04:04 PM

carolyn- i bought just bout all my mater seeds from Tomato Growers Supply hope i didnt mess up. the rest of my veg seeds were ordered from jung and vermont bean and seed. bw red came from tgs

thanks worth i added the altai to my order, just ordered a few day ago. last year my KBX seeds came from gardenmama all my seeds i saved from my crop ruined. i was lucky enough to borrow a few from different folks here but im afraid i dont have enough im gonna try to trade for some more.

greg last year i had a total of 300 plants. i also sold okra,squash and beans i made bout 2,500 all together ( counting this falls punkins and turnip greens)

i agree get em out early and also plan for late crop to maximize profits, but my market is small but there are alot of customers i have never had to take anything home. we are starting our third year the customer numbers have grown but lucky for me the growers/ sellers havent. we can only sell items grown in our county which also helps...

Moonglow January 8, 2009 08:02 PM

[quote=GIZZARDFARM;115381]planting 400 heirlooms yall keep me in ur prayers....Im gonna need it.:))[/quote]

You got it! ;)

GIZZARDFARM January 8, 2009 08:09 PM

That is 2,500 after expenses.....

dave January 14, 2009 08:05 PM

break o day

in our our small market garden (6000 sq. ft.) we raise about 130 tomatoes, mostly heirlooms and need another sturdy, dependable and productive medium size "red". I've been considering "break o day" or "hazelfield farm", we're zone 6-7 NE Okla. hot & humid. Any input would be a appreciated. Dr. Male, your book is on our table every saturday at the market and draws great interest, thank you.

bigmeanmamma January 14, 2009 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=kygreg;115624]There is a thread going on here now comparing Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX. KBX, i think is the Potato Leaf version of KB; the large majority of those posting seem to prefer KBX.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! All my KB died last year. Had bad dampening off. I LOVE them though so I'll have to check out the thread.

bigmeanmamma January 14, 2009 10:19 PM

Tatiana - thanks for the lesson and wow, cool site!

ChuckBartok January 15, 2009 04:10 PM

Fantastic Results Gizzard Farms...

I am really Impressed with your results.
It is so Much fun knowing others Enjoy
the "Fruits of Our Labor"

As mentioned in the Final Tally of our Just released DVD, we not only SOLD to happy customer, we donated substantial amount to The Senior center.

No money but a healthy Tax deduction

Dukerdawg January 15, 2009 07:24 PM

Dave, consider Sioux as a 'medium size red'. Great production and excellent taste. Cannot go wrong with Sioux. Probably my 'if I could only grow one tomato' it would be Sioux.

Chuck, as much as I think the world of those promoting growing tomatoes for profit and health etc., it seems you have little or no regular posts that are of any use to any of us experienced tomato growers aside from your obviously attempts to sell your dvd's and products. I find this highly objectionable and wonder why Mischka allows it all. If you had other posts that were not blatant sales attempts and helped others regarding growing, different varieties etc. and the like it would be easier to swallow. You are probably a fine fellow, but to always jump in here to sell your wares with no other posts kind of irritates me. Just my opinion.

Duane

dave January 15, 2009 07:46 PM

thank you duane, I always grow sioux it was the "standard" around here in the 50's & 60's, great heat tolerance. dave

oc tony January 15, 2009 08:01 PM

I agree with everything Duane & Dave said about Sioux & would add that it shows very good disease resistance in the garden.

carolyn137 January 15, 2009 09:10 PM

[quote=dave;116640]in our our small market garden (6000 sq. ft.) we raise about 130 tomatoes, mostly heirlooms and need another sturdy, dependable and productive medium size "red". I've been considering "break o day" or "hazelfield farm", we're zone 6-7 NE Okla. hot & humid. Any input would be a appreciated. Dr. Male, your book is on our table every saturday at the market and draws great interest, thank you.[/quote]

Dave, it's Carolyn as I sign off on all my posts.:)

Break O Day would be a good reliable red and here's some to consider:

Break O Day
Box Car Willie
Bulgarian #7
Druzba
Red Brandywine ( true one)
Aker's West Virginia
Ramapo F1 or OP
Jet Star F1
Rutgers
WI 55

........all red and medium sized. I haven't grown Hazelfield Farm so can't comment on that one.If looking for larger more beefsteak shaped ones I'd make a different list.

dave January 15, 2009 10:49 PM

medium red tomato for market

Carolyn, thank you for the input I have the seeds for 5 on the list you posted. The Dr. Carolyn and Black cherry tomatoes we grow always sell out first at our market and folks ask for them by name. Thank you again, dave

ChuckBartok January 15, 2009 11:10 PM

Dukerdawg
I appreciate your Comment. I erred in mentioning my DVD.
Mischka and I spoke on the Matter. I can't find any other posts Selling anything from me. Other members seemed to have considered my input valuable last summer. We have always grown Good food for Good people at Good prices, and have considered farming an admirable Lifestyle, not just a hobby.

I have learned a lot here and am appreciative

Dukerdawg January 16, 2009 09:37 AM

Chuck, it's water under the bridge my friend. Please accept my apologies if my words were a bit harsh. I too think farming is an admirable lifestyle and anyone who undertakes that should be proud of the work they do. Please continue to do good works and look forward to seeing some other posts from you where you can share some of the valuable experience you had had in tomato growing, farming in general and particularly in your tales of growing for market and profit.

Duane