Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   So what does one do with Ghost Peppers? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24948)

Tracydr December 9, 2012 10:37 AM

I would mix them with other peppers in our fermented hot sauce, which then gets used to make salsa. The other ideas, especially using it as a dried seasons and the hot pepper jelly, and adding to fruit jelly sound really good, too.

dustyrivergarden December 16, 2012 09:52 PM

I mix dried hot peppers with garlic oil and spray on my plants to detour aphids. The rest I mix with the rest of my peppers hot and sweet with some garlic and onion and make a hot pepper relish its killer good...

Frank Zimmerman December 29, 2012 08:08 AM

Smoke 'em
[youtube]pmZyJey2SsA[/youtube]

WVTomatoMan January 4, 2013 08:26 AM

What I do is feed them to the Pepper Pack. :) OBTW, one of the Pepper Pack members made ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turds - do a google search) out of them.

Good luck.

Randy

p.s. BTW, ABTs are much better than it may seem, but you might want to give them a try with Jalapenos first...or another favorite of mine Jaloros.

Frank Zimmerman January 5, 2013 09:52 AM

There is a fellow that makes a slurry (blender) of the bhut, dilutes it with water and sprays it on the undersides of homes. says it keeps termites away. In India, where the pepper comes from, they paint fences with it to keep rougue elephants away. My wife makes me eat it to keep the honey's away.

Calcat36 January 11, 2013 07:16 PM

Send them to me for recycling. I will properly dispose of them with motha earf in mind.

Masbustelo January 12, 2013 04:30 AM

Frank Very nicely done with the video.

habitat_gardener January 14, 2013 04:42 AM

I just heard about a restaurant that makes a vegetable dish with ghost peppers in the sauce. The dish is called Devil's Vegetables. Here's how it's described on the menu:

"Assortment of vegetables cooked in a VERY spicy ghost pepper sauce – MUST SIGN WAIVER). FINISH IT & GET UNLIMITED BEER FOR A WEEK!"

[url]http://www.redhotchillipepperca.com/[/url]

BarbJ April 30, 2013 09:14 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I ended up not doing anything with them. Back in post #9 I mentioned my brother-in-law had them green/raw in a smoothie.

Don't know if it's related to the Ghost pepper per se, but a week later he was in the hospital with a bleeding stomach lining problem. Had to have some extra blood added with a transfusion. Seems he was slowly leaking a bit of blood over time. Doctors wasn't sure if it was the peppers, but told him to lay off all the peppers and he did and is fine now. So...Don't have them raw in smoothies!

On a second note, it seems to be a very cold tolerant pepper. I took all my peppers in late fall and put them under our covered patio. As our winter was really cold for our area, most of them did not make it.

However, the Bhut Jolokia was the one out of three total who lived over quite nicely. Lost most of it's leaves, but the stems stayed green and last month it started leafing out and now is almost the same size as last fall. No flowers yet, but I re-potted it into fresh soil so we shall see.

It was the prettiest of all my peppers, lots of lush small bright green leaves and really shiny bright red peppers. I guess I'll just grow it for it's looks!

hdrider May 9, 2013 08:00 PM

The last time I grew them (a few years ago) I would sit down to a plate of mixed hot peppers straight out of the garden. I would cut up and compare the different flavors as well as the heat. The heat of the ghost after a few pieces didn't seem any hotter than the hab's, but the ghost was definitely more pungent in flavor.

sjoella May 27, 2013 02:53 PM

Last year, I took everything from sweet banana peppers to ghost and dried them...then mashed them all together creating a really tasty pepper flake that I use and nearly everything! I love it...

This year I will make more. I shared about a gallons worth of the pepper flake mix that folks truly enjoyed. it had a kick. although you can have less hot and more mild for something less deadly :P

I love hot! This year the mix will be cayenne, habanero, serrano, jalapeno, thai chili, ghost and trinidad scorpions...

dahoss2002 May 27, 2013 11:51 PM

Very nice video Mr.Z

ScottinAtlanta May 28, 2013 04:36 AM

Loved Frank's vid.

GnomeGrown May 28, 2013 08:35 AM

Well done video, Slim.

afrance30 June 1, 2013 04:37 PM

Ghost Pepper Salsa and hot sauce. Wear gloves when processing super hots!