Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Container Productivity VS In Ground (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49760)

Yak54 October 28, 2019 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;748615]Yak, does your fertilizer have other minerals or anything in it?[/QUOTE]

Yes there are trace elements of Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum,and Zinc. And of course the 4-18-38 gets mixed with calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate

Dan

Nan_PA_6b October 28, 2019 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=Yak54;748628]Yes there are trace elements of Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum,and Zinc. And of course the 4-18-38 gets mixed with calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate

Dan[/QUOTE]
So it's not just a 4-18-38 fert you're using. What brand? And roughly how much Ca(NO3)2 & MgSO4 do you add to how much of the 4-18-38?

Yak54 October 28, 2019 04:40 PM

Sent PM

AKmark November 3, 2019 02:34 PM

You guys need to follow the directions with these products or you are going to have issues. For mature plants you use 8 oz of 4-18-38, as well as 8 oz of Calcium Nitrate, you will also add 4-5 ounces of Magnesium Sulfate. (for 100 gallons)
These numbers they give are just not guessed, but are based off of leaf samples, so follow the directions to start with. You may have to adjust, I need a touch more MgSO4. These numbers are also for Coco, Promix, etc, you will use less if you try to use this in soil. That could get tricky without knowing what your media consists of. I have used it at half strength with good results in my garden.

These numbers represent the Masterblend directions and Hydrogardens Tomato Formula. Same stuff.

Yak54 November 3, 2019 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=AKmark;748988]You guys need to follow the directions with these products or you are going to have issues. For mature plants you use 8 oz of 4-18-38, as well as 8 oz of Calcium Nitrate, you will also add 4-5 ounces of Magnesium Sulfate. (for 100 gallons)
These numbers they give are just not guessed, but are based off of leaf samples, so follow the directions to start with. You may have to adjust, I need a touch more MgSO4.

These numbers represent the Masterblend directions and Hydrogardens Tomato Formula. Same stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what he said ! Most definitely :)

LK2016 November 5, 2019 11:31 AM

Fantastic results, Dan. What size grow bags did you use?

I used Masterblend for the first time this year, toward the end of the season. Wonderful stuff. Most things only got one dose, but still took off!

I used it on some tomatoes in the ground and got 6-8 extra tomatoes each within a month when I thought the plants were sickly and done (Lillian's Yellow, Aunt Gertie's Gold, Big Beef)!

I had a Chef's Choice Orange in a big tub - maybe 20-25 gallons - I just picked at least 20 good size half-ripe tomatoes off it ahead of the frost we had the other night. It's still making flowers. My Jaune Flamme in a 10-gallon fabric pot just kept pumping out orange beauties until the frost too. I'm sure I got a couple more tomatoes each at least from my plants in 5 gallon fabric pots too.

My beets loved it, and I got tons more beans in the late season.

Next year, I'm adding the Masterblend way earlier in the season. That stuff was magic.

Yak54 November 5, 2019 12:19 PM

Yes it is good stuff all right. I used it in 15 gal grow bags for tomatoes and 8 gal grow bags for peppers. Feading them two times a day but only once a day at the end of the season.

Dan

LK2016 November 5, 2019 03:29 PM

Wow. Thanks. I'm gonna try to be like you next year! :)

Yak54 November 5, 2019 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=LK2016;749122]Wow. Thanks. I'm gonna try to be like you next year! :)[/QUOTE]

Well I guess you could do worse, but you could do better also.;):lol::cute: