Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Can you root determinates? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37308)

travis June 29, 2015 07:46 AM

Sorry about that ...

[QUOTE=travis;484774]When rooting "suckers" (side shoots) from a fully determinate variety, the side shoot may be advanced enough, or from a plant advanced enough, to have received the signal to terminate, and thus the rooted side shoot may form its terminal flowers before forming its own side shoots to grow additional fruit.[/QUOTE] REPRISED:

If one roots a side shoot from fully determinate varieties, one should take care not to root a side shoot that is advanced to the stage at which the plant has signaled the side shoot to form its terminal efflorescence.

If the side shoot one roots already is programmed to form its terminal efflorescence, the clone thus is past the stage at which it will produce sufficient side shoots of its own from which to yield a harvest of fruit similar in quantitative ability to the original plant from which the clone was taken.

The signal from the original plant to a side shoot to form its terminal efflorescence may occur prior to the casual observer's ability to detect such a signal. So, one may wish to clone the youngest side shoots, or instead clone a newly emerged leaf.

TexasTycoon June 29, 2015 09:16 AM

Dang, here I was hoping the lower branch I rooted from my Tycoon (which had to be cut off due to storm damage around Memorial Day) was going to give me some more fruit. It's definitely rooted, but I guess I'm just growing pretty tomato foliage now, huh?

Redbaron June 29, 2015 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=TexasTycoon;485143]Dang, here I was hoping the lower branch I rooted from my Tycoon (which had to be cut off due to storm damage around Memorial Day) was going to give me some more fruit. It's definitely rooted, but I guess I'm just growing pretty tomato foliage now, huh?[/QUOTE]Don't be surprised if it actually makes a perfectly fine plant.;)

digsdirt June 29, 2015 03:32 PM

[QUOTE]Dang, here I was hoping the lower branch I rooted from my Tycoon (which had to be cut off due to storm damage around Memorial Day) was going to give me some more fruit. It's definitely rooted, but I guess I'm just growing pretty tomato foliage now, huh?[/QUOTE]

Give it a chance. You might luck out. So a month back right? Any signs of secondary branches or blooms yet? After 30 days there should be some indication.

Dave

Mike723 June 29, 2015 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=travis;485119]Sorry about that ...

REPRISED:

If one roots a side shoot from fully determinate varieties, one should take care not to root a side shoot that is advanced to the stage at which the plant has signaled the side shoot to form its terminal efflorescence.

If the side shoot one roots already is programmed to form its terminal efflorescence, the clone thus is past the stage at which it will produce sufficient side shoots of its own from which to yield a harvest of fruit similar in quantitative ability to the original plant from which the clone was taken.

The signal from the original plant to a side shoot to form its terminal efflorescence may occur prior to the casual observer's ability to detect such a signal. So, one may wish to clone the youngest side shoots, or instead clone a newly emerged leaf.[/QUOTE]

haha, i think that should clarify it for him Travis.. Stop rambling, would ya?! :twisted:

TexasTycoon June 29, 2015 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=digsdirt;485253]Give it a chance. You might luck out. So a month back right? Any signs of secondary branches or blooms yet? After 30 days there should be some indication.

Dave[/QUOTE]

I'm seeing some new growth, but no signs of blossoms yet. Just about all of the old leaves died, but they were pretty battered from the storms. New growth is dark green and healthy. Moved it closer to the sunlight this week (I garden on an apartment patio, and had this one in the corner closer to the apartment so it wouldn't dry out while rooting), so perhaps we'll see some blossoms soon. Moving it to a bigger pot next week (next paycheck haha, whoever thinks gardening is a way to save money is kidding themselves) so that should do some good as well. :)

TexasTycoon June 29, 2015 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=Redbaron;485202]Don't be surprised if it actually makes a perfectly fine plant.;)[/QUOTE]

I've got my fingers crossed! :peace: