Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Flower color in tomatoes. Any alternates to yellow? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15731)

FredB June 16, 2015 10:22 AM

Carolyn -

My notes say "hard - doesn't soften until damaged". So apparently it does have the ability to soften, but that ability isn't triggered until the fruit is damaged. Maybe it responds to ethylene but doesn't normally produce any? The variety is PI 306811.

I'm not sure if it will set fruit this year. This species shows self-incompatibility and I only started two plants.

Fred

Fusion_power June 19, 2015 01:10 AM

Large showy flowers are typical of plants that require insect pollination. Smaller and less showy flowers are typical of plants that are self pollinated by wind or other means.

Domestic tomato is self pollinated and has relatively small flowers.

S. Habrochaites has members that are self fertile and others that require cross pollination. S. Habrochaites has medium to large showy yellow flowers.

S. Peruvianum is an obligate outcrosser requiring insect pollination with compatible pollen to set fruit. S. Peruvianum has large showy yellow flowers.

NarnianGarden June 19, 2015 12:00 PM

Some observations so far: Gold Nugget, Mohamed and Black Seaman all have flowers (various sizes) that are pale, pure yellow - the typical tomatoey hue :) Pink Tiger has these bright, more striking looking attention seeking blossoms with a bit orange on them...

NarnianGarden June 30, 2015 06:57 AM

It's notable how some varieties show the orange / tangerine gene in their flowers: Khurma ja Orange Strawberry both have this characteristc, while another orange variety, Zolotoy Korol, has usual, pale yellow flowers. :) Banana Legs also looks quite 'normal'.
Black and green varieties all show that average light yellow color as well. :cute:

bower June 30, 2015 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found an interesting paper by Kachanovsky et al, which has very nice pix comparing the fruit colour and flowers on red, tangerine, yellow, and yellow-tangerine.

It shows pale yellow flowers for yellow fruit, compared to the 'orange-yellow' deeper shade for red.. Personally I have 6 F2 plants from red X yellow crosses, but I haven't been able to distinguish any flowers to make an informed guess:?!?:... maybe I didn't get any yellow fruit. :evil:
Also some of my 'red' OP's do seem to start out with plain yellow anthers and only darken as they mature. So I can't make a SWAG as to red vs. yellow...

Here's a copy of the pdf which i downloaded.
Excellent flower pix on the second page. :yes:

Dutch June 30, 2015 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice find Bower, it’s a helpful article to me and probably many other folks. Thanks for posting it.
Below is an enlarged view of figure 2 from the second page of the article.
[ATTACH]50763[/ATTACH]
Dutch

bower June 30, 2015 12:46 PM

Thanks for getting the picture out, Dutch. It's a good one! :yes:
It is certainly no trouble to tell the tangerine and yellow-tangerine gene from the flowers, which is a great thing to know, whether it's a new OP you want to breed with or whether you're watching some lines segregating.
In my grow this year, Datlo, Earl of Edgecombe, and Lescukovo Oranzove (orange fruit) all have the tangerine flower, and so do Bursztyn and Yellow Clusters (yellow-tangerine). It's pretty cool to know what's going on genetically, even though I haven't grown any of these before. 8-)