Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   My Thousandth Gardenia-Trying Again ! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25614)

Deborah December 3, 2012 05:02 PM

OIC. Thanks.

Deborah December 3, 2012 05:03 PM

Linda, are you really getting one? Good-misery loves company. We can console each other !

Sun City Linda December 3, 2012 11:30 PM

No new gardenias for me, I went to Lowes but all they had were smaller ones with no blooms.:cry:

peebee December 4, 2012 12:52 AM

Okay, so I broke down when I visited HD last week and saw a big, lush gardenia on sale for $7. This, after I finally laid to rest another big, formerly lush plant that lived for 3 long years and produced a total of 5 flowers. That was my fifth attempt at growing this diva of the plant kingdom. I did exactly what others had done--fed it iron when the leaves yellowed, overwatered, underwatered, exactlywatered, protected it from sun, shade, cold, heat. I put the planter on coasters so that I could move it around in an attempt to appease it. After it died, I bought a smaller plant, that started to die as soon as it saw my yard. No more, I swore after that. Now this. I plan on acting casual around it, throwing it an occasional glance to see if it's still alive. So far, so good. But if this one goes...really, I'm done with them.:roll:

Deborah December 4, 2012 03:07 AM

I just spit ice cream laughing. The casual glance part is hilarious !
Mine is still alive. It gets stern reminders every day. The "It's me or the dumpster" talk.

Deborah December 8, 2012 01:00 PM

It's still alive! Still glossy, deep green and three more flowers !
All I've done is water it. No food, not taking it in on cold nights, no pampering at all !

greentiger87 December 8, 2012 01:18 PM

Have you tried acidic irrigation water? This seems to work a lot better than acid fertilizers or acid mediums. That means using rainwater or adding some vinegar (the amount depends on your tap water pH and alkalinity that you can find out from your public works department) at every watering.

What's the burrowing insect problem you're having? I've had blossom midge devastating my hibiscus and Sambac jasmine for a long time now :( There are control options, but I hate spraying things unless I have no other choice.

Deborah December 8, 2012 07:38 PM

No bugs with this one. I don't know what bugs my former plants had. No more pampering-tap water's good enough.

livinonfaith December 8, 2012 11:41 PM

You want to know how I finally got Gardenias to grow in my yard?

I moved to a yard that already had Gardenias.

Okay, it's a little expensive to move just for flowers, but I highly recommend it. I mean these are Gardenias we're talking about!:lol:

Deborah December 9, 2012 03:01 AM

:))Agree !

Deborah December 25, 2012 09:39 PM

Can you believe the gardenia is still alive, green and glossy and covered with flowers and buds??? It's still in the original nursery pot, has only been watered when I thought of it and hasn't been fed.
GO FIGURE !!!

Sun City Linda December 25, 2012 11:40 PM

Merry Christmas! :D

livinonfaith December 26, 2012 12:39 PM

You Californians make my day sometimes with your out of season (for us) flowering and harvesting.

I can almost smell the Gardenia blossoms right now. It's like a little piece to heaven!

Deborah December 28, 2012 12:08 AM

Yes, talk about a nice gift ! I think tough love is working ! For now......

Deborah February 1, 2013 03:06 PM

It's still flourishing ! Incredible !