Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Brandy Boy Hybrid (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40087)

jpop March 19, 2016 07:10 PM

They look great and rapid growth

Gardeneer March 19, 2016 07:18 PM

I grew Brandy Boy last year. I love the taste. So did some critter:cute:
However I did not get very many tomatoes. I will grow it again but due to lack of garden space I am trying other varieties.

Gardeneer

b54red March 20, 2016 01:22 PM

I grew it two years in a row and one year it did good but the next it did terrible. The taste is very good and the size of the fruit is fairly large and it can be very productive. The problem for me was the lack of good fusarium resistance which made it a no go until I started grafting. Since I began grafting several years ago I haven't tried BB as a scion. When I did grow it alongside of Sudduth's and Cowlick's it certainly outperformed them but the flavor wasn't quite as good. I also think it is the best tasting hybrid I have ever grown and have recommended it to others without the fusarium problem that I have to deal with. Those are some awesome looking pics. I never had any Brandy Boy plants that put out that much fruit. Congratulations it seems you have found a perfect tomato for your growing conditions and technique.

Bill

gorbelly March 20, 2016 01:32 PM

Hudson, your pics are always the [I]best[/I] tomato pr0n. I await your report on Big Beef this year, too.

Hudson_WY March 20, 2016 05:43 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Thanks Gorbelly - I think? Brandy Boy gone wild!!! I'm going to have to buy a new electric toothbrush soon - haha. 13-25 blossoms/buds on all of these trusses.

proguy747goose March 20, 2016 06:59 PM

I went to local event called tomato mania and was hoping for the BB but they said they were not ready. Next year i will start with seed.

They look amazing Hudson.

My Foot Smells March 20, 2016 09:33 PM

Nice set up. Love bb, have grown for several years. Good producer. I want to see more pix of your gh setup.

Captain Neon March 21, 2016 01:56 PM

I love Brandywines, and am excited to be trying Brandy Boy this season.

ALinCarolina March 22, 2016 01:36 PM

I'm definitely on the Brandy Boy Bandwagon. I typically grow 10 or so varieties a year, with a mix of heirloom and hybrids. BB was by far the best tomato I grew last year, tasted like one of my heirlooms but much more productive and disease resistant. I ordered extra seeds this year so it will dominate my tomato garden. The other Heirloom Marriage varieties I grew were Big Brandy and Jersey Boy which were very good but Brandy Boy took the flavor prize.

Hudson_WY March 25, 2016 07:35 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Brandy Boy is off to a great start for 2016! Fruit setting everywhere!

Hudson_WY April 29, 2016 10:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I was watching Brandywine Pink Sudduth and Big Brandy so close I didn't pay as much attention to Brandy Boy. I was surprised when I discovered that Brandy Boy ripened at about the same time and all three with about the same weight. The first photo is Brandy Boy, then BW SS and last is Big Brandy.

isuhunter May 5, 2016 10:51 PM

Is burpee the only source for plants of this?

peebee May 5, 2016 11:37 PM

Holy Toledo, look at those tomatoes! Do you prune to a single stem?
Great job, now I wanna try BBs too.

My Foot Smells May 6, 2016 07:05 AM

Nice!! BB is a crowd pleaser and prolific producer. Awesome job in WY, my first set got shut down by 7" of rain and low temps around 50. Great pics too!!

Hudson_WY May 6, 2016 10:49 AM

8 Attachment(s)
isuhunter - My understanding is that Burpee is the only distributor of Brandy Boy currently and that Burpee's Brandy Boy seeds are available at the big box stores - like Home Depot. We live in a very rural area so the internet is our best option.

Peebee - I usually prune to 2 stems then 4 then 8. This year I have done less pruning and planted them 3' apart instead of 2' apart to compare production. So far, I think I like the 2' apart pruned to two stems the best.

my foot smells - Thanks - Brandy Boy is a pleaser again this year! Here are some photos of this years production as of today.