Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Florida Lookout, Irma? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45962)

SteveP September 11, 2017 10:15 AM

Salt, I have never been in a hurricane either and I know I don't want to. I am thankful our T'Ville family has apparently made it through with what I would think is minimal damage.

KarenO September 11, 2017 10:58 AM

Very relieved the worst is over for you and the damage is manageable in your yard Marsha!
KarenO

ginger2778 September 11, 2017 11:27 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the outpouring of love and concern. We seem to be the only ones who do have power amongst our friends here, do I invited them all to come by and cool off if they want.

oakley September 11, 2017 11:32 AM

Yes, very relieved all that has passed. Now a big clean-up.
Lost contact with my sister and no word yet how her home held
up. Hoping for the best but I'm sure she is ok.

My crystal ball sees a SNL skit with Melissa McCarthy playing a
reporter wearing a bungie harness in strong wind being pummeled
by debris...nothing funny about survivors and what they are going
through but the reporting was over the top.

brownrexx September 11, 2017 11:38 AM

I'll tell you what I find over the top. Seeing video of looters leaving stores with stacks of boxed sneakers that they are stealing! I guess that I can't expect criminals and low life to respect that people are already suffering and leave them alone but it is just sickening!

SteveP September 11, 2017 11:39 AM

My little area of the world sent 40 lineman and 10 trucks towards Florida yesterday morning to help our friends in Florida restore power. They didn't know what area, but they are showing up to work and see where they get sent. I am sure this is happening all across the country, so hang on Florida, help is on the way!

SteveP September 11, 2017 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=brownrexx;664328]I'll tell you what I find over the top. Seeing video of looters leaving stores with stacks of boxed sneakers that they are stealing! I guess that I can't expect criminals and low life to respect that people are already suffering and leave them alone but it is just sickening![/QUOTE]

I agree, few things anger me more. Shoot on sight comes to mind as a deterent and rehab all in a simple brass casing.

Barb_FL September 11, 2017 02:08 PM

Power was restored to my street in Indialantic, FL this AM, so I think the outage was < 12 hours.

I can't call my home phone so I'm pretty sure Cable / Brighthouse/ Sprectrum is out, same as with Hurricane Mathew, power but no internet, etc

Father'sDaughter September 12, 2017 12:16 AM

This is one of the better Irma stories I've seen on TV so far.

[URL]https://youtu.be/L3f7_y9UPh4[/URL]

bower September 12, 2017 10:53 AM

My cousin in Fort Myers made it through okay too. No flooding in her home, thank goodness.

Worried about KayRobbins though, I hear the flooding in Jacksonville has been epic. :o

AlittleSalt September 12, 2017 01:29 PM

I had the television on for about two minutes early this morning. I had just woke up and turned on the tv while making coffee. I hear them saying 25% of the orange crop is gone, there's a SUV or truck washed up on a beach, so many people without water and electricity, people not being allowed into Miami until... I turned off the television. I wasn't awake enough yet.

My heart goes out for all of you in Florida and those in south Texas that the hurricanes have damaged and ruined so much property, housing, vehicles, and lives lost. I wish I could help all of you.

ginger2778 September 12, 2017 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;664464]I had the television on for about two minutes early this morning. I had just woke up and turned on the tv while making coffee. I hear them saying 25% of the orange crop is gone, there's a SUV or truck washed up on a beach, so many people without water and electricity, people not being allowed into Miami until... I turned off the television. I wasn't awake enough yet.

My heart goes out for all of you in Florida and those in south Texas that the hurricanes have damaged and ruined so much property, housing, vehicles, and lives lost. I wish I could help all of you.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your compassion Robert, but you just take care of yourself that alone is a full-time job lol.:lol:

49tandc September 12, 2017 05:48 PM

Everything here is OK. A huge "Thank you Jesus". Our buildings (Mobile home, barn, shed and pump house are just fine. It didn't even peel the plastic off the greenhouse! Even the shark came thru OK. We just got power restored, so we are back to normal. Very blessed. The eye went right over Bonson about 3:00am. We took the dogs out to do their thing. I told my wife (who had never been thru a hurricane and was very anxious) that the last time I was inside the eye of a hurricane was back in the 60's in Miami where I grew up. Very eerie to look up and see the stars - while you KNOW you are indie a heap of trouble.

Good luck to everyone else and those who are stuck in the gas lines, please keep calm.

49T&C

maxjohnson September 12, 2017 06:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I left for Ohio before the storm hit. My brother sent photos of the house, I have some cleaning up and repairing to do, but fortunately the car or windows weren't damaged.

Meanwhile in Ohio, my sister in law have some plants going. They're not even experienced gardener, just stuck the plants in the ground and neglected them and this is what they get. Had to do some pruning and fertilizing for them, but I have a feeling gardeners up here have it much easier going for them. I guess it's worth of price of getting your butts freeze.

ginger2778 September 12, 2017 09:12 PM

Those look very nice, Max.