Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Weather (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41104)

Medbury Gardens January 7, 2018 04:56 PM

The level of cold you guys are getting is way beyond anything ive ever come close to experiencing, the coldest frost ive had here is -15C -8F, that was one night and will only happen once every 10 years at the most.

Here in deep downunder today is what i call the perfect summer day, cloudless sky, light winds and 23C - 73F. Time to go and pick beans for the freezer.

Nan_PA_6b January 7, 2018 10:06 PM

On yesterday's super cold night (-18C give or take), our pipes froze. Spent a good while putting thermals on our water pipe to thaw it out. Never knew I'd feel so grateful to have the privilege of flushing the toilet! Wheee!

Nan

Cole_Robbie January 7, 2018 10:32 PM

It's raining here now. I just thought, "wow, it's so warm, there is liquid water outside." I'm a lot easier to please after this last cold spell.

Cole_Robbie January 10, 2018 02:16 PM

Winter storm forecast for me the day after tomorrow, and then back to the bitter cold, probably a similar forecast for a lot of us in middle North America.

bower January 10, 2018 02:38 PM

We've had it cold with snow squalls and high winds for days, but we're in for a thaw on the weekend. 3 or 4 days with highs above freezing according to the forecast, and may even get into the "double digits" - C that is. Meaning 50 F or above. I'm looking forward to that, even though it will be raining and blowing a gale most of the time. :twisted:8-)

clkeiper January 10, 2018 05:58 PM

I am so ready to be done with winter already. ice freezing rain, snow ice sub zero temps, black ice this morning, 55°f tomorrow and then freezing rain, snow sleet ice and 3-7" of snow Friday night. lovely!:(

EPawlick January 10, 2018 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;677481]I am so ready to be done with winter already. ice freezing rain, snow ice sub zero temps, black ice this morning, 55°f tomorrow and then freezing rain, snow sleet ice and 3-7" of snow Friday night. lovely!:([/QUOTE]

Same for us in Southern Ontario...

Seems like winter never ends.

It's always winter....

Koala Doug January 10, 2018 06:47 PM

[SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond][B]Stay warm and dry, folks![/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

bower January 10, 2018 06:58 PM

Too late, Koala Doug! :twisted:
Forgot to mention I slipped on the ice this morning. Wham flat on my back, my hat flew about 3 feet. Not hurt... but humiliated...yes. :x:(:bummer::?: There was a witness but luckily, no you tube video. :lol:

Worth1 January 10, 2018 07:01 PM

Yes there is.
Worth

clkeiper January 10, 2018 07:05 PM

[QUOTE=bower;677494]Too late, Koala Doug! :twisted:
Forgot to mention I slipped on the ice this morning. Wham flat on my back, my hat flew about 3 feet. Not hurt... but humiliated...yes. :x:(:bummer::?: There was a witness but luckily, no you tube video. :lol:[/QUOTE]

yes... terribly slippery. my son went to town Tuesday night and his feet went out from under him. he has been in great pain since then. I about did it today when I stepped out of the garage to go start the car to take it to the shop to get new brakes put on. needless to say I went right back in until it warmed up a bit more.

Cole_Robbie January 10, 2018 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=bower;677494]
Forgot to mention I slipped on the ice this morning. Wham flat on my back[/QUOTE]

The first lesson in martial arts is a "break fall." There is a correct way to fall down. It's the most useful martial arts move I ever learned. I have taken some spectacular falls, and walked away with only bruises. You want to turn in the air and land on your side instead of your butt, so you don't break a tailbone. When the body lands sideways, similar to the fetal position, it spreads out the impact and minimizes injury. Relax and breathe as you hit the ground.

The absolute worst thing to do when falling, especially backwards, is to try to reach out to the ground to catch yourself. Doing so will cause broken wrists and dislocated elbows.

I'm glad you're ok :)

bower January 10, 2018 09:20 PM

Cole, I know how to breakfall but.... I was down before I even knew it. :surprised: So fast! There was about 3 cm of powdery snow on top of some very slick cold ice, and I was pushing a shovel of it so there were other forces involved when I stepped on the "magic patch". :shock::?
I hate ice. Not a skater. :no: Not a skier. :no::no: The last cleat fell off my boot when I was in the woods last week, stuffed it in my pocket and forgot it wasn't there. Won't be going out again without some kind of studs on. :evil:

Cole_Robbie January 10, 2018 09:52 PM

I once rented an old house with very poorly-designed gutters that dripped the melt onto the back steps on the north side of the house, which would then re-freeze. I would have ice when no one else did, slip and fall on it, then it would re-appear after I had cleared it away, at which time I would fall on it again. It was like that house was trying to kill me, or at least had a sick sense of humor.

bower January 10, 2018 10:31 PM

:shock::lol::o[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;677538]I once rented an old house with very poorly-designed gutters that dripped the melt onto the back steps on the north side of the house, which would then re-freeze. I would have ice when no one else did, slip and fall on it, then it would re-appear after I had cleared it away, at which time I would fall on it again. It was like that house was trying to kill me, or at least had a sick sense of humor.[/QUOTE]