Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Hey Fellow Floridians - Year 2 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37937)

kurt September 27, 2015 10:15 PM

Never really had to.

[QUOTE=kayrobbins;506723]Have you tried their beneficial nematodes? I thought about it but did not do it since I was not sure how they would really work. I have several insectary gardens set up to get beneficial insects. The only time I have bought them from Arbico was to get Assassin Bugs. I have not been able to get them to come from what I have done. I am so fascinated with them and consider them true garden ninjas. It was fun watching the eggs hatch and they went to work right away. I will work on trying to get them here without buying them but if not I would buy again.[/QUOTE]

Always grow in containers inside a screened in pool enclosure.All on concrete.I know at our local Fairchild Tropical Gardens they tout the beneficial s in their community garden classes.The local farmers here use Steam Soil Sterilization if they get a bad infestation.It is very expensive for large tracts of land.But for smaller parcels it makes "cents"They inject steam into soil with massive boiler/pump contraptions and it does kill nemos up to 3-4 foot down in soil.They re amend soil after testing to get the balance back.I watched them do it on a small plot for demonstration and every critter,rodent,insect came flying out of the soil,very impressive.

Barb_FL September 28, 2015 10:09 AM

In the Chuck - looks good and so tidy. What's going in the white buckets? What tomatoes are you growing?

Kurt - That steam sounds so cool. I would have loved to see that.

Fiishergurl September 28, 2015 10:33 AM

Wow, ImTheChuck... love your set up!!! So neat.

Ginny

Zone9b September 28, 2015 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=kurt;506747]Always grow in containers inside a screened in pool enclosure.All on concrete.I know at our local Fairchild Tropical Gardens they tout the beneficial s in their community garden classes.The local farmers here use Steam Soil Sterilization if they get a bad infestation.It is very expensive for large tracts of land.But for smaller parcels it makes "cents"They inject steam into soil with massive boiler/pump contraptions and it does kill nemos up to 3-4 foot down in soil.They re amend soil after testing to get the balance back.I watched them do it on a small plot for demonstration and every critter,rodent,insect came flying out of the soil,very impressive.[/QUOTE]
I'm curious where the market might be for this kind of soil treatment. As you say not for larger fields. Commercial growers would simply opt for a variety with lots of letters behind the name which includes nematode resistance. Possibly smaller growers growing heirlooms or maybe someone who needs to grow organically for that market. Hey, first just boil everything alive then grow organically!
Larry :panic:

kurt September 28, 2015 06:06 PM

The next door neighbor farmer gave me this link.

[QUOTE=Zone9b;506805]I'm curious where the market might be for this kind of soil treatment. As you say not for larger fields. Commercial growers would simply opt for a variety with lots of letters behind the name which includes nematode resistance. Possibly smaller growers growing heirlooms or maybe someone who needs to grow organically for that market. Hey, first just boil everything alive then grow organically!
Larry :panic:[/QUOTE]

Looks like this company has been around for a while.Upoun further reading they have a variety of trays flats and all kind of goodies.

[url]http://www.usgr.com/soil-sterilization/index.php[/url]

Zone9b September 28, 2015 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=kurt;506873]Looks like this company has been around for a while.Upoun further reading they have a variety of trays flats and all kind of goodies.

[url]http://www.usgr.com/soil-sterilization/index.php[/url][/QUOTE]

Sterilizing raised beds would be interesting, especially if it killed fungus which result in Early Blight, etc. I drenched a couple of beds, a year or so ago, with a mix of water and food grade hydrogen peroxide. I really couldn't tell if it done anything beneficial or not.
There is a lady in Oakland FL which has posted quite a lot of photos on Garden Web. She used compost, probably significantly improved in 15 gallon containers. She cleaned her pots every year and put in completely new mix. She grew some beautiful tomatoes. I don't have that kind of time or ambition. Anyway I think I'd use SWCs before I'd go to that effort. Thanks for the link.
Larry

Fiishergurl September 29, 2015 09:22 AM

Larry - I was just thinking if you wanted a really economical way to try container growing, either the home made grow buckets would work if you can get some used buckets for free from a grocery store or hotel. My friend is the Director of Purchasing for a large hotel in Orlando and they had more 5 gallon pickle buckets than they knew what to do with. I used to get them all the time for free and we used them on my family's horse farm but at the time I wasn't growing in containers.

Or use the Walmart bags... I think they are 50 cents each and set them in a kiddie pool ($10). You can go on youtube and see how other people have been successful doing that with the Walmart bags in a kiddie pool. I would do it where I am except the owner of the RV Park would have a fit.

Ginny

Barb_FL September 29, 2015 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=Fiishergurl;506951]Larry - I was just thinking if you wanted a really economical way to try container growing, either the home made grow buckets would work if you can get some used buckets for free from a grocery store or hotel. My friend is the Director of Purchasing for a large hotel in Orlando and they had more 5 gallon pickle buckets than they knew what to do with. I used to get them all the time for free and we used them on my family's horse farm but at the time I wasn't growing in containers.

Or use the Walmart bags... I think they are 50 cents each and set them in a kiddie pool ($10). You can go on youtube and see how other people have been successful doing that with the Walmart bags in a kiddie pool. I would do it where I am except the owner of the RV Park would have a fit.

Ginny[/QUOTE]

I've had great luck with the Walmart $.50 bags. The big surprise is they last more than 1 season. I mainly put the WMT bags in a Dollar Tree laundry basket ($1) - they last multiple seasons too. I am growing 3 types of cucumbers this way this fall. I initially placed them in a saucer but now that they are bigger, I have them in the bottom of a rabbit cage with holes really close to the bottom.

On the downside, I have 2 kiddie pools, and they worked fine initially last spring, when it was drought-like and no rain. But when it rains in Florida, IT RAINS, the plants stayed too. I use an empty Tollhouse Cookie dough container, and drill lots of holes in it, then put it upside down in the WMT bag so not all of the bag bottom is exposed to water (wicking).

Zone9b September 29, 2015 10:19 AM

Ginny
Thanks for your suggestions. In time I hope to look at SWCs. For now I've got about all the tomato plants I can handle. I have 16 plants in raised beds, 19 in 10 gallon grow bags, 11 in 6 gallon pots, 12 in 3 gallon pots and 12 in 1 gallon pots for a total of 70. Not counting all the rest of the stuff I have in raised beds and native soil or heading for raised beds or native soil. Ultimately I hope to grow less tomato plants as a result of more consistently growing varieties that work well. I am hoping this season will help me reach that goal.
Looking at the 10 day weather forecast it looks like tomato loving weather is about to arrive. Starting Oct 2nd I see a string of days with forecasts of daily highs between 83 and 87, and daily lows from 66 to 69. Looks like tomatoes blossoming and setting fruit is about to happen.
Larry

Fiishergurl September 29, 2015 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=Zone9b;506958]Ginny
Thanks for your suggestions. In time I hope to look at SWCs. For now I've got about all the tomato plants I can handle. I have 16 plants in raised beds, 19 in 10 gallon grow bags, 11 in 6 gallon pots, 12 in 3 gallon pots and 12 in 1 gallon pots for a total of 70. Not counting all the rest of the stuff I have in raised beds and native soil or heading for raised beds or native soil. Ultimately I hope to grow less tomato plants as a result of more consistently growing varieties that work well. I am hoping this season will help me reach that goal.
Looking at the 10 day weather forecast it looks like tomato loving weather is about to arrive. Starting Oct 2nd I see a string of days with forecasts of daily highs between 83 and 87, and daily lows from 66 to 69. Looks like tomatoes blossoming and setting fruit is about to happen.
Larry[/QUOTE]

Whoo hoo!! Tomatoes for everyone it sounds like... :-) My neighbors laugh because I have so many plants but if I don't grow that many they complain there aren't enough tomatoes... lol.

Ginny

Barb_FL September 29, 2015 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=Zone9b;506958]Ginny
Larry[/QUOTE]

Bring on the cooler weather; I think we've been in the 80s this week, but the night time temps are still 74+.

Larry - what tomatoes are you growing in 3 gallon pots? and 1 gallon pots?

Did you ever see AKMARK's tomatoes - he had a couple of plants in a 1/2 gallon pot, and maybe a pint pot with big tomatoes on it.

Zone9b September 29, 2015 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;506986]Bring on the cooler weather; I think we've been in the 80s this week, but the night time temps are still 74+.

Did you ever see AKMARK's tomatoes - he had a couple of plants in a 1/2 gallon pot, and maybe a pint pot with big tomatoes on it.[/QUOTE]

I have 10 Tiny Tim tomato plants in 1 gal containers. Tiny Tim is said to be a micro dwarf. I believe I read where Container Ted had 2 Tiny Tim plants in a single 1 gal container. I find the Tiny Tim plants to look really nice in the 1 gal pots.
I have 1 Extreme Bush plant in a 1 gal pot. So far it doesn't look crowded.
I have 1 Terenzo plant in a 1 gal pot. It looks a bit leggy but is blossoming and has
set 1 tomato.
I have 6 Extreme Bush plants in 3 gallon containers and 6 Terenzos in 3 gallons.
The Extreme Bush plants truly look like a dwarf and have a few blossoms. The Terenzo look more like a small bush tomato and are blossoming more than any other variety I have planted and have set a few tomatoes.
I definitely will check out some of AKmark's posts, which sound interesting.
I don't know why I planted so many Tiny Tims. With the 1 gallons it just takes a second to fill them with compost and I direct sewed the seeds. I had 10 pots done before I knew what I was doing.
Larry

Zone9b September 29, 2015 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;506986]Bring on the cooler weather; I think we've been in the 80s this week, but the night time temps are still 74+.

Did you ever see AKMARK's tomatoes - he had a couple of plants in a 1/2 gallon pot, and maybe a pint pot with big tomatoes on it.[/QUOTE]

Note: I copied what AKman said in his response to your questions>
"Barb 100 plants two vines, 100 first trusses for me, I get a truss before a fork in the stems. 200 plants, single vines, 200 first trusses, gain of 100.
I also drop my plants now and coil the vine after fruit is harvested, it is tuff with two vines. My friends already do what I am talking about, I have resisted, but the light bulb went off, and I realized my lost potential.
The single stem plants will be grown in 6-7 gallon plastic bags, or old smart pots filled halfway. I do not try to avoid watering, I want to water, with continuous feed they grow like chickweed if you have to water multiple times per day."
Also from AKman "Zipcode, it used to be around 20- 30lbs for an average plant from a good yielding variety, but this year I am doing something completely different that I learned about a few years back, but never tried it.
When I harvest a truss of fruit, I trim the leaves off to that point, and I lower the plant by coiling the stripped stalks around the container. This is an awesome technique for long season growers to keep their plants producing at full potential, or close. Now, I don't know my yields, but I can say, my plants started in January are still looking good and are pumping out fruit."

I don't quite understand exactly what he is saying, probably because I am not that knowledgeable of a tomato plant's physiology. However, I think his statement is probably quite profound and I want to refer back to it as I learn more.

If you have a good handle on what it is he is saying, please explain to me.
Larry

Barb_FL September 29, 2015 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=Zone9b;507002]
If you have a good handle on what it is he is saying, please explain to me.
Larry[/QUOTE]

Larry - I do now that someone pointed out the obvious. Go back and read the thread.

In 2014, AKMARK had amazing tomato pictures; I will try to find the tomato pics in the tiny pot and post later.

Off to transplanting.

Fiishergurl September 30, 2015 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;507026]Larry - I do now that someone pointed out the obvious. Go back and read the thread.

In 2014, AKMARK had amazing tomato pictures; I will try to find the tomato pics in the tiny pot and post later.

Off to transplanting.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the reason was obvious to us because we don't grow as many tomato plants. A lot of people cut that first truss off that grows below the main stem because they think it gives the plant more energy to grow more in the long run (I'm not saying it does or doesn't... I personally leave the first truss). But it seems amazing that you could get an extra 500-1000 tomatoes (100 times however many tomatoes are typically on that first truss) by doing 200 single stem plants rather than 100 two stem plants. Fascinating!!

Ginny

Barb_FL September 30, 2015 05:02 PM

Ginny - I think AKMARK will get 100 times as many because he will have double the number of plants; so double the number of first trusses.

Fiishergurl September 30, 2015 05:17 PM

I probably wasn't clear but that's what I was trying to say.

Ginny

Zone9b September 30, 2015 08:09 PM

[QUOTE=Fiishergurl;507136]I don't think the reason was obvious to us because we don't grow as many tomato plants. A lot of people cut that first truss off that grows below the main stem because they think it gives the plant more energy to grow more in the long run (I'm not saying it does or doesn't... I personally leave the first truss). But it seems amazing that you could get an extra 500-1000 tomatoes (100 times however many tomatoes are typically on that first truss) by doing 200 single stem plants rather than 100 two stem plants. Fascinating!!
Ginny[/QUOTE]

First there is the discussion of a Y. When to tomato plant creates this Y, which has it's first truss below it, is one stem of this Y a sucker or does the plant just produce 2 stems without one being a sucker? This probably isn't essential to understand, in order to learn a bit about what AKmark was talking about. My guess is that after the first truss is harvested then the single stem plant is lowered by curling the lower part of the plant around on the medium/soil in the container. My next guess is the advantage of this is to bring more of the plant in contact with the medium in order to get more of it to root, therefore, offering more nourishment to the plant for greater production. If this is true he must have the hands of a surgeon, because if I tried this I would probably break my plant in more than one spot on the lower stem. There certainly are quite a number of people here on Tomatoville that are truly brilliant with plants and I am the first to admit I ain't one of em.

Anyway for me gardening in a Raised Bed with compost which sets on the native soil, here in Central Florida, my goal is not to get more of the plant in contact with the soil but less. I trim a lot of the lower foliage to keep it from contacting the compost, because there are potentially a lot of nasty fungus down there such as Early Blight. Also, I try to keep the water from splashing up on the foliage when I water the plant.

I more than welcome comments on this topic, even if it is to shoot holes in my way of thinking.
Thanks
Larry

Barb_FL September 30, 2015 10:25 PM

Larry, I don't think AKMARK lowers the plant for contact with the mix. I think he does it so the plant doesn't get out of hand tall.

There is someone else here from Alabama (I think) and he grows in the ground (maybe raised beds) but has a system for lowering the plants.

When is that cool weather coming?

kurt October 1, 2015 08:10 AM

I have seen How Its Made TV Greenhouse videos where some operations actually have vines that can be lowered with a pulley type system for mater harvest.Some vines were 20/30 ft grown in coco coir in constant recirculating nutrient troughs.Those vines were only two per plant. Mindboggling.

Zone9b October 1, 2015 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;507168]Larry, I don't think AKMARK lowers the plant for contact with the mix. I think he does it so the plant doesn't get out of hand tall.

There is someone else here from Alabama (I think) and he grows in the ground (maybe raised beds) but has a system for lowering the plants.

When is that cool weather coming?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=kurt;507193]I have seen How Its Made TV Greenhouse videos where some operations actually have vines that can be lowered with a pulley type system for mater harvest.Some vines were 20/30 ft grown in coco coir in constant recirculating nutrient troughs.Those vines were only two per plant. Mindboggling.[/QUOTE]

You are probably right, it is probably just a heighth issue. I've seen pictures of tomatoes in green houses in the Netherlands where they single stem their plants and use sizzor lifts to pick the toms up high.

Looks like the weather next week is looking much better for gardening. I'm hoping my Rattlesnake and Fortex Cross beans can get serious about setting beans. I'm getting an appetite for fresh green beans.
Larry

kayrobbins October 6, 2015 04:52 PM

I had my first ripe tomato today! It was a Sugar Drop cherry. It was not as sweet as I thought it would be but maybe I should have left it on the plant another day or two. I will wait on the next one.

I am having so much trouble with my Cherokee Tiger. Since I have had leaf issues in the last two growing seasons I decided to try Marsha's Bt & Copper mixture. It really seems to be working on the other tomatoes but all the leaves on the CT look bad. Is it more prone to diseases?

ginger2778 October 6, 2015 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=kayrobbins;507874]I had my first ripe tomato today! It was a Sugar Drop cherry. It was not as sweet as I thought it would be but maybe I should have left it on the plant another day or two. I will wait on the next one.

I am having so much trouble with my Cherokee Tiger. Since I have had leaf issues in the last two growing seasons I decided to try Marsha's Bt & Copper mixture. It really seems to be working on the other tomatoes but all the leaves on the CT look bad. Is it more prone to diseases?[/QUOTE]

Most of the dwarfs have such close together thick leaves, not so good airflow happens. I find some of them to be a lot more disease prone, and I spray the you know what out of them. You probably already did this, but trim some of the leaves out so you can get better air flow, and keep on a-sprayin!:lol:

I have CT black pear growing. The chartreuse foliage is so unique. I wonder if that causes the weakness?

kayrobbins October 6, 2015 05:20 PM

I had wondered that too but I hope not because I really like it. There is much less air space between the leaves than any other dwarf I have grown. I will try giving it more breathing room. I want this plant to thrive.

Barb_FL October 6, 2015 07:54 PM

Kay - that is so exciting getting your first tomato. A few of my plants have flowers and I'm doing the Ginny electric toothbrush method.

Sunday night was the first night where temps were low enough to set fruit.

---
I have 8 Earthboxes done; it takes me a long time b/c I have to dump it first b/c there is so much mix in the reservoir. Only 3 left to do because I want to save 3 for the Artisan seedlings which are really small.

---
Larry - When you plant the Premium Brocolli, do you plant single plants? or double/triple up? Also, In a raised bed 4x4, how many plants would you grow? I am doing 3, but if I can do more, I would. I planted the first 3 a few days ago; single plants; and today I planted another 3 in the next RB but they were doubled up.

Zone9b October 6, 2015 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;507893]Kay - that is so exciting getting your first tomato. A few of my plants have flowers and I'm doing the Ginny electric toothbrush method.

---
I have 8 Earthboxes done; it takes me a long time b/c I have to dump it first b/c there is so much mix in the reservoir. Only 3 left to do because I want to save 3 for the Artisan seedlings which are really small.

---
Larry - When you plant the Premium Brocolli, do you plant single plants? or double/triple up? Also, In a raised bed 4x4, how many plants would you grow? I am doing 3, but if I can do more, I would. I planted the first 3 a few days ago; single plants; and today I planted another 3 in the next RB but they were doubled up.[/QUOTE]
Barb
I know some growers say they group more than 1 broccoli plant together in order to get more smaller heads, but I've never tried it. Maybe I will in the future to see what results. This year I put the Premium Crop Broccoli 11" apart in the RB and 5" from the sides of the beds. Now the plants are large enough and planted close enough that it is getting hard to identify individual plants for watering. Most of the plants are probably 15 to 17 inches high. I'm hoping to start harvesting a few in 3 - 3 1/2 weeks.
I ate my first batch of fresh Rattlesnake pole beans for dinner tonight. The fresh beans certainly taste better than the frozen ones I have been eating.
Larry :)

ginger2778 October 6, 2015 10:15 PM

Barb, if you have solarized, then the potting mix remaining in the reservoir is basically sterile, and doesn't hurt anything. I don't rinse it out, I just remove the old fert strip, mix in new dolomite, place a new fert strip, and finally add about 1/3 earthbox of fresh promix. The plants grow excellently well. Why go to all that extra work?[QUOTE=Barb_FL;507893]Kay - that is so exciting getting your first tomato. A few of my plants have flowers and I'm doing the Ginny electric toothbrush method.

---

---
Larry - When you plant the Premium Brocolli, do you plant single plants? or double/triple up? Also, In a raised bed 4x4, how many plants would you grow? I am doing 3, but if I can do more, I would. I planted the first 3 a few days ago; single plants; and today I planted another 3 in the next RB but they were doubled up.[/QUOTE]
What was taking me so long was dipping in the mycorrhizae, then putting little tomato cages around each tomato baby, then the large outer cage we made for each EB. Last year I only used the outer cage, and when the fruitset got heavy they sagged down to the EB cover. I am finished now, I will definitely get photos tomorrow. I also bought landscape fabric to put a liner over my soil, because I have to get about 15 - 7gallon pots made up for all the extra varieties that are more than I had EB room for. So much work, but WORTH IT.
The swap is Saturday, and it's going to be a huge showing, I think. Gee, next year I might have to bring many more plants! I only have about 325 for this year. Plus 8 basil types, 3 lettuces, kale, and 4 broccoli types.
I have decided to have wine this year too. Fun, but a bit of work. :yes:

Barb_FL October 6, 2015 11:50 PM

Larry - Thanks; so I've done single/double ways in the RB. The rest of the broccoli will get ground. Please take a picture of your plants when you have a chance.

Marsha - You're amazing getting all that done. I can't wait to see your pics. Honestly, I can do 5 tomato plants per day. Yesterday was a big day and I did 6. What are you using for mulch on the containers? I've used straw the last 2 seasons but hesitate to use it now that I've made the solarizing effort.

I did the EB solarizing a little different. I only have 14 EB and found out early on the Solarizing in EB is way better than just the bags lying on wooden pallets. I also dumped all my EB b/c I thought they were too wet, and am obsessed with the pot worms and wanted to know. Really, I just emptied one EB into another clean one. By doing that I removed the top and fertilizer strip then and added the dolomite. I also added some Espoma crab shells. Then I packed them into the biggest LOAF imaginable and rolled them into the bags.

ETA - then when it was time to use them, is when I found out so much mix fell into the reservoir.

One thing, as lousy my pool deck is for baking tomatoes, it excels in the solarizing department.

BTW - of the 8 EB I've done so far, I've done 2 with those HD compactor bags. I will try to take a pic tomorrow; so easy to slide over since there is no elastic (I put the plants in first). I did the 2 with Compactor bags in the middle, and then when I went back to the shower cap, it seems so flimsy.

Fiishergurl October 7, 2015 04:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

We are back from Kansas city for the winter and ready to get the garden growing again!! Unfortunately my seedlings that I started a few weeks ago died... long story. But thanks to Barb on this thread my fall season is not going to be a bust. Barb generously shared about 25 incredible seedlings ready to transplant.... so many awesome varieties... Captain Lucky, Cosmonaut Volkov, Rebel Yell, GGWT, Pink berkely Tye Die, Big Beef, Brandywine Dark Cherry and so many others. My husband was so excited and my neighbors and most of all me.

We met Barb part way between where we live and where she lives and she handed over all these awesome plants to us. Barb - It was awesome to meet a fellow gardening enthusiast in person. Thank you again and again... :-)

Happy gardening to everyone this fall.

So excited to be back home and kicking off a fall garden.

Ginny

kayrobbins October 7, 2015 05:03 PM

That is so wonderful for both of you. It was great that you had someone to help you out, I know she enjoyed being able to help a fellow Florida gardener and you got to actually meet each other.